Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I know. But you can do that same thing with clipless pedals, which is why I keep saying learning to do things better teaches you to do things better....pedal style doesn't matter. You can squat over the rear tire and spring up just the same.
    Yeah, but people don't. They don't learn that way. They haul the bike up with their feet, because they can. Take that option away from yourself.....then go ride until you figure it out. This is not a ground breaking concept.

To pull up with your feet on flats you have to understand how to do it. You can't just jump straight off your pedals. They're sticky, but they're not velcro.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Yeah, but people don't. They don't learn that way. They haul the bike up with their feet, because they can. Take that option away from yourself.....then go ride until you figure it out. This is not a ground breaking concept.

To pull up with your feet on flats you have to understand how to do it. You can't just jump straight off your pedals. They're sticky, but they're not velcro.
    Coming from the POV of someone who learned to foot-yank bunnyhop by riding clipless exclusively for all his formative years:

1. Riding flats a lot has forced me to get better
    2. At this point, I'm skilled enough to foot-yank almost as effectively with 5.10s and Crampons as I am on clipless.
    3. I still suck at lippy jumps and my overall riding would improve if I rode DJs a bunch
    4. Pump tracks are great for learning real bike handling, too. Mine has finally started to melt out for real. Who wants to dig?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    So go back to what I said before. If you are someone who enjoys the personal progression of learning and mastering skills, then flat pedals will help with that. If you are not and just want to ride trail and get over stuff as fast as possible and don't really care, then clippless obviously make that easier.....ride on and enjoy your day.

If i came to a smoldering VW on the trail I would want to have a bag full of skills to clear it with as much style and grace as possible, in my own personal idiom. Maybe try and nose bonk off the grill ornament, ride up the windshield, manual the roof, and drop, even and level, off the hatch back. Or I could granny up to it, spin like a whirly-gig in a last minute seated wheelie...slam my back tire into the bumper...claw my way up onto the roof and roll off the hatch with my saddle in my throat...arms locked out and nose into a fork crushing landing.

If ever I come across a burning car on a trail ride, I'll be glad I've spent some time at the DJs and Skate Park on flats so I can at least try to style that shit out.
    Does a Chevette count? What if it's no longer on fire?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180418-182555.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	232724

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Does a Chevette count? What if it's no longer on fire?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180418-182555.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	232724
    Looks like a good pee spot.

Dave's approach sounds like too much work. Got outta breath just reading that.......
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

This may be one of the few times Dave and I agree. IME it seems like the natural progression is riding flats to master skills, then utilizing clipless for certain scenarios where they are more efficient.

To me it's pretty clear to see the style/skill differences between someone who has learned on flats vs. someone who jumped in and went right to clipless.... like very clear.

I've taken a fair number of mountain bike skills clinics and there's always someone who can't get clipped in in the worst places.

Looks like a good pee spot.

Dave's approach sounds like too much work. Got outta breath just reading that.......
    Have you seen the new eBikes? No work at all.
    JayPowHound is breaking one of the sacred tenements of technical riding.
    "Thy seat post shall not exceed the travel of thy forks. "
    I imagine he has not spend his time at the DJs on his flats.
    Cool pic though.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 04-19-2018 at 05:27 AM.

I've spent a decade riding flats. I've spent another decade riding clipless. And I've even put in a couple years on toe clips.

But none of that matters because this conversation is dumb. Ride whatever pedals you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've spent a decade riding flats. I've spent another decade riding clipless. And I've even put in a couple years on toe clips.

But none of that matters because this conversation is dumb. Ride whatever pedals you want.

I'm full artisan these days. I ride 100 year old ocean dried mahogany spindles with no platform. It really teaches you........stuff.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm full artisan these days. I ride 100 year old ocean dried mahogany spindles with no platform. It really teaches you........stuff.
    Amateur. I've surpassed pedals and now convert every bike into a strider.

Name:  notworthy.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  27.4 KB

How’s yer taint?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    How’s yer taint?

Those first few rides of the season are rough until you develop a good taint callous. Kegels help to keep it in shape during the off-season.

Forget kegels, use a TENS unit. You can plug it into your eStrider and get a taint workout while you climb.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

"Blistered Taint" would be a good name for a metal band.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Taint too hard to get back in the groove.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

super glad i started this thread

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    super glad i started this thread
    As you should be.

Name:  metal band.png
Views: 268
Size:  43.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There’s a little Empty Beer in all of us

However many are in a shit ton.

It's Missoula. That town is full of dirt roadies who think that one rock on 3 larches constitutes a technical challenge. It shouldn't come as much surprise that they consider not falling over while using clipless pedals a noteworthy achievement.
    [/THREAD]

They see me rollin', they hatin'......

I tied a set of them SPD knock-off 20$cheaper than fuck Wellgos,

they look like an SPD and they work more or less like an SPD

BUT not as much float and the cleats are a little sloppy if you use them in a Shimano SPD pedal

SO I changed the Wellgo float by removing a little material from the pedal with a Dremel to have the same float as a Shimano

edit: I read a FB link from Lee Lau where in Sweden the cops caught an E-biker doing 100 KPH, apparently hot rodded E-bikes are the rage, 100 KPH on a bicycle sounds Scary to me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    and for DH I think it has benefits, but damn every time I try to ride flats now I forget- particularly when I'm riding thru town at a stop or something and ghost pull up right into my handle bar. guess I might need to either stop riding high or just put my mind to it for a ride or two and get there
    I feel like this post was highly underappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    and for DH I think it has benefits, but damn every time I try to ride flats now I forget- particularly when I'm riding thru town at a stop or something and ghost pull up right into my handle bar. guess I might need to either stop riding high or just put my mind to it for a ride or two and get there
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I feel like this post was highly underappreciated.
    You know what? You're right.