Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Edge High Moments

I just got a set of Meridian 117’s which I was beyond excited to get out on. Taking them out the first day was more than a little mixed.

The skis would catch and pull really aggressively often leading to me getting in the backseat. I tried progressively detuning and it helped moderately but especially on harder snow the skis were in no way predicatable. I have skied a lot of fully rockered skis and almost never detune very much.

Throwing a carpenters square on them when I got home showed that the bases were concave, edge high or whatever you want to call it. Likely about a half mm or so. You can clearly see it with a light on the backside.

At this point do I need to get a full tune done or can I just get the bases ground?

I know blister had the same experience with their meridians... has anyone else noticed anything in recent moment skis? A little bummed as this seems like a quality control issue.

Had the same on my meridian 107’s. Just give em a grind and a tune and you won’t be disappointed. Fun ski.
    Go Sox!

Bought my son a pair for Christmas and they were fine. We have had nine different pair of Moments and they all were fine. I know that last summer Moment bought a new big time tuning machine. In as much as they set the edges all the same you would think a trained monkey could run skis through it and get a near perfect final tune before shipping. If the light shines through maybe send a photo to Moment so they can see it.

I would reset bevels first, deburr em real good, then detune. If they still don';t feel right, then grind em.

I am curious to hear about how the 117s ski once you tune them.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    I am curious to hear about how the 117s ski once you tune them.
    I’m planning on posting some impressions once I get a handful of days. Outside of feeling sketchy and wanting to toss me around they feel really intriguing. Playful yet burly and stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I just got a set of Meridian 117’s which I was beyond excited to get out on. Taking them out the first day was more than a little mixed.

The skis would catch and pull really aggressively often leading to me getting in the backseat. I tried progressively detuning and it helped moderately but especially on harder snow the skis were in no way predicatable. I have skied a lot of fully rockered skis and almost never detune very much.

Throwing a carpenters square on them when I got home showed that the bases were concave, edge high or whatever you want to call it. Likely about a half mm or so. You can clearly see it with a light on the backside.

At this point do I need to get a full tune done or can I just get the bases ground?

I know blister had the same experience with their meridians... has anyone else noticed anything in recent moment skis? A little bummed as this seems like a quality control issue.
    I had some verdicts that were edge high/concave and fairly evil to ski ... just plain unpredictable

I got em base ground flat on a montana saphir machine and that was the way to go IME, yeah I could fuck around with files in my basment for hrs and get a half ass job but the machine did it in about 10 minutes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I had a Wintersteiger just like Moment's, but at Scheels, eat eleven pair of skis on my last year year making skis. The douchebag in the shop tried to tell me it was the skis. I called the local steiger guy, Lee, and he told me it was operator error, which I believe after watching that shop not spin their stone dry and fry the bearings and the stone within one season. I'm still skiing on skis with paper thin edges and resin patches in the bases. Too much pressure on the sanding belts or too rough of a grit is what does it, as the bases are the soft part of what gets sanded. A lesson I learned the hard way on the bros. Shit does happen. A new tune usually solves it. I reimbursed a lot of people the cost of a new tune.

I’m planning on posting some impressions once I get a handful of days. Outside of feeling sketchy and wanting to toss me around they feel really intriguing. Playful yet burly and stiff.
    I am thinking of replacing some og Bibby pros with these. I'm looking for something slightly more on the playful side and willing to give up some chargability... Good luck with the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had some verdicts that were edge high/concave and fairly evil to ski ... just plain unpredictable

I got em base ground flat on a montana saphir machine and that was the way to go IME, yeah I could fuck around with files in my basment for hrs and get a half ass job but the machine did it in about 10 minutes
    Hmmm...
    Took me literally 20 minutes to quickly tune(file and stone) a pair of Carlos yesterday a.m.(without a bench) and skied them 30 minutes after that. You would just be getting back home from ski shop w/ out any skis
    Just cuz you suck with tools, don't project that shit to others that don't

OP's skis are new, non-burred edges should file and stone like butter and the next knuckledick isn't grinding the fuck out of your brand new skis(refer to splats post for confirmation).
    On the other hand, it could just be that you do need a grind, cross that bridge when you come to it and maybe save a little life on your skis.

oooh! can drink your bath water ?

oooh! can drink your bath water ?
    No,eh.
    Just thought your " basement for hrs and half asedd job vs. 10 minute shop base grind" was a touch dramatic is all. Kinda like the post in quotation above, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    No,eh.
    Just thought your " basement for hrs and half asedd job vs. 10 minute shop base grind" was a touch dramatic is all. Kinda like the post in quotation above, eh.
    What tools do you use to do this so quickly?

Leveling edge high skis is the one task that I dread.

I picked up the Ski Visions Base Flattener (the one that holds an agressively file). This helps a bit, but the task still sucks.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    What tools do you use to do this so quickly?

Leveling edge high skis is the one task that I dread.

I picked up the Ski Visions Base Flattener (the one that holds an agressively file). This helps a bit, but the task still sucks.

... Thom
    All I used was a file and stone on edges. Wasn't trying to flatten base.
    Nol all grabby skis are created equal, so that is why I also said he may very well need a grind. Decision needs to be made if it's worth grinding the ski totally flat vs life/durability of ski. Reality is the ski just needs to not be grabby, but bites at an angulation you are comfortable with(I actually prefer fat skis slightly base high). It could just be OP has edges that have linear stone marks and not 1deg across edge or length of ski, making it pretty fucking easy to fix, with brand new skis w/ no werk hardened burrs.

No,eh.
    yeah I question your ability to takeout a 1mm concavity with a file in 20min with just a file , I mean sure you did something half assed but I could have done the same job dragging them behind my truck on the pavement

http://www.montana-international.com...phir-ii-w-pro/

OTOH this^^ machine can do 40 pair of skis in 1 hr, the assholes in the shop just loaded them in and pushed the button ... perfect job

yeah I question your ability to takeout a 1mm concavity with a file in 20min with just a file , I mean sure you did something half assed but I could have done the same job dragging them behind my truck on the pavement

OTOH this^^ machine can do 40 pair of skis in 1 hr, the assholes in the shop just loaded them in and pushed the button ... perfect job
    Fuck you talkin' bout?
    Read
    What
    I
    Said.
    Use your brain.
    That's the exact machine that will grind life out of skis(and similar to the one they have already been run on)-- when likely all they need is some work on the edges. But like I also said, they very well could, in fact, need another grind. I would check the former, for minimal time( I stand behind around 20 min), before doing the latter and grinding life/ durability from ski.
    If you need further clarification on this, I can't help you.
    Comprende?

So it took 10 minutes to do a mediocre hand job? I get it.

Maybe that's enough to know how the ski was intended to ski ... maybe not.

I get the whole grinding life from the ski thing. If a partially concave ski works for you, that's great. Me? I'd always be wondering if I left half of the ski's performance characteristics on the table.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So it took 10 minutes to do a mediocre job? I get it.

Maybe that's enough to know how the ski was intended to ski ... maybe not.

... Thom
    Explain mediocre? My Carlos skied great soooo...

Could ski great, could ski even better if you sacrificed more base material to the cause. We'll never know.

As long as you're fine with it, and any reviews you post about skis make note of this, then it's all good.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

So here are a few updates.

I took them into a shop today. I have one tech I like that I took them to.

It appears that the base bevel may not have been set properly from the factory. He noticed some discoloration in portions of the edges and said it was leftover epoxy from when the skis were likely made. This occurred at a few places on the edges of the skis. He colored the edge with a sharpie and slowly manually set the base bevel to 1 degree. The outer portions of the edge that had the sharpie removed first and it took a number of passes until the sharpie would come off the inner portion of the edge.

He checked with a true bar and it sounds like the bases are 'flat enough'. I'm going to try skiing them another day and we'll see how that goes. I'm pretty optimistic this ought to solve the issues.

I didn’t read the entire thread. Why didn’t you just warranty them? You shouldn’t have to do anything other than detune as you see fit on a new pair of skis, certainly not a base grind.

Could ski great, could ski even better if you sacrificed more base material to the cause. We'll never know.

As long as you're fine with it, and any reviews you post about skis make note of this, then it's all good.

... Thom
    So here are a few updates.

I took them into a shop today. I have one tech I like that I took them to.

It appears that the base bevel may not have been set properly from the factory. He noticed some discoloration in portions of the edges and said it was leftover epoxy from when the skis were likely made. This occurred at a few places on the edges of the skis. He colored the edge with a sharpie and slowly manually set the base bevel to 1 degree. The outer portions of the edge that had the sharpie removed first and it took a number of passes until the sharpie would come off the inner portion of the edge.

He checked with a true bar and it sounds like the bases are 'flat enough'. I'm going to try skiing them another day and we'll see how that goes. I'm pretty optimistic this ought to solve the issues.
    I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I didn’t read the entire thread. Why didn’t you just warranty them? You shouldn’t have to do anything other than detune as you see fit on a new pair of skis, certainly not a base grind.
    They were not ground, the edge bevels were reset with file

Fuck you talkin' bout?
    Read
    What
    I
    Said.
    Use your brain.
    That's the exact machine that will grind life out of skis(and similar to the one they have already been run on)-- when likely all they need is some work on the edges. But like I also said, they very well could, in fact, need another grind. I would check the former, for minimal time( I stand behind around 20 min), before doing the latter and grinding life/ durability from ski.
    If you need further clarification on this, I can't help you.
    Comprende?
    OP said concave base , I had skis with concave bases, I could do it by hand which was gona take a lotta work OR get it ground, they were doing 1/2 price stone grinds so I got it ground, ended up with a flat base,

So do you try to make a ski base flat by hand or take advantage of a machine?

I'm talking about flattening a base and you are on about edges
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-12-2018 at 07:13 PM.

I think there is a range to ‘concave’. It turned out the edges themselves were high. The base material was flat.

The true bar was narrow enough to fit within the base material and that was flat. My carpenters square went edge to edge and therefore left a very small gap.

They appear to be flat now. I’ll ski them and see how it goes.