Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Proposed expansion at Crested Butte

Got an email from CB this morning regarding proposed expansion.

For a summary of the expansion, click here. Features of the proposed Teocalli Drainage Expansion include:
    •Expand the ski area boundary by approximately 500 acres, creating new skiable terrain farther into the Teocalli drainage.
    •Create 434 acres of new gladed skiing terrain and 89 acres of new developed intermediate and expert ski trails in the Teocalli drainage.
    •Install three new lifts, two in the Teocalli drainage and one from the Paradise Warming House to the top of the North Face.
    •Install a new ski patrol outpost and warming hut at the top of the North Face.
    •Add new snowmaking capacity on Black Eagle, Lower Gallowich, Rachel’s, Shep’s Chute, and Championship.
    •Improve access to Funnel, Flat Iron, Banana, and Million Dollar Highway.
    •Add 15 new miles of downhill and cross-country biking and hiking trails, including new trails from the Top of the Silver Queen lift.

After the review and comment period has ended, the USFS will weigh the field findings and comments received and make a determination on whether to approve this plan. Your comments do count and you can help to make this plan a reality! Please consider submitting written commentary, and please share the USFS link with other like-minded skiers, riders, and bikers. Comment here.

http://www.skicb.com/information/teo-2-expansion

That expert terrain beyond Third Bowl looks pretty sick.
    I doubt it will be open much.

Replacing the surface NF lift with a fixed triple. Interesting. I always liked the surface lifts at CB, scared off the people who didn't belong on that terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Replacing the surface NF lift with a fixed triple. Interesting. I always liked the surface lifts at CB, scared off the people who didn't belong on that terrain.
    Heckling the people who couldn't ride the NF lift was part of its charm!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I wish the NF lift ran all the way down to the exit traverse. As much as I've always loved the surface lifts it would be super cool to do laps back there from one lift instead of two or three.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Heckling the people who couldn't ride the NF lift was part of its charm!
    The first and only time I skied CB was like 3 or 4 years ago after they got 3 feet or so over 2 days.

I'm waiting in the North Face lined, all jazzed but having never ridden a t bar before on a snowboard, a bit timid as well.

Bout 5 minutes in front of me this little girl, maybe 8-10 years old, full bunny hat helmet cover in bright purple and everything, falls on the t bar. Holy shit the crowd lit her ass up. She cried. I started shitting myself wondering what they would do to me at 27 years old and falling.

Needless to say my sweetheart wife supported my ass the whole way up and we didn't fall. Marriage still intact. The next day we are riding the higher one on top of the Silver Queen lift and she refuses to ride the t bar with me and hops on in front of me. These crusty old local dudes behind us in line ask if I'm a fag. Good times.

Nice terrain though, so all in all, worth it.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The first and only time I skied CB was like 3 or 4 years ago after they got 3 feet or so over 2 days.

I'm waiting in the North Face lined, all jazzed but having never ridden a t bar before on a snowboard, a bit timid as well.

Bout 5 minutes in front of me this little girl, maybe 8-10 years old, full bunny hat helmet cover in bright purple and everything, falls on the t bar. Holy shit the crowd lit her ass up. She cried. I started shitting myself wondering what they would do to me at 27 years old and falling.

Needless to say my sweetheart wife supported my ass the whole way up and we didn't fall. Marriage still intact. The next day we are riding the higher one on top of the Silver Queen lift and she refuses to ride the t bar with me and hops on in front of me. These crusty old local dudes behind us in line ask if I'm a fag. Good times.

Nice terrain though, so all in all, worth it.
    I would never heckle a kid, that's lame. But I would have heckled you if you fell.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I would never heckle a kid, that's lame.
    I dunno - I've been known to heckle kids... but they've always been my own.

True, I should have said I would never heckle a kid that I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

We were there last year right after the 90" dump.
    Same story - chicks, little kids, noobies, whatever.
    You took a fall on the Tbar line and the peanut gallery appeared in force.
    That was quite the storm. I think we only hit two rocks the whole weekend

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    <snip>
    That was quite the storm. I think we only hit two rocks the whole weekend
    FAKE NEWS!!

New lifts look great from an access standpoint but not a traffic standpoint. It’ll change back there with that much more traffic, and not for the better. I’m surprised bringing the Highlift down to the top of paradise isn’t on there, that’s the harder one to access and it usually opens before the north face terrain. Not a fan of making the stuff around banana easier to access either. Oh well, things are bound to change, and good things don’t last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    FAKE NEWS!!
    He only skied groomers.

As long as you can still get air on the poma takeoff, it’s good
    . . .

Proposed expansion at Crested Butte

Looks sick to me.

Fuck any adult who heckles a kid though. Fucking losers.

looks dope, love that terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    As long as you can still get air on the poma takeoff, it’s good
    The pomas are gone.

I remember a little kid got stuck in the air on the poma once and was suspended 10-12 feet in the air

Pretty sure this is a conspiracy plot by the local orthopedic surgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    He only skied groomers.
    Shoot, a few of those runs were practically groomers. What a year!
    I still flailed down Big Chute, always have struggled with that one.
    I don't mind a NF triple, I can see the appeal. Very unlikely, but it would be great if it had similar uphill capacity to the TBar.

Definitely a fan of the expansion, that will be a good zone for intermediate skiing. The new North Face lift will head up from the flats between the top of East river and the bottom of Paradise, right over the top of Rambo. That lift will make the whole NF into a giant mogul field, even more than it sometimes is, thanks to greatly increased traffic. That part sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Definitely a fan of the expansion, that will be a good zone for intermediate skiing. The new North Face lift will head up from the flats between the top of East river and the bottom of Paradise, right over the top of Rambo. That lift will make the whole NF into a giant mogul field, even more than it sometimes is, thanks to greatly increased traffic. That part sucks..
    Was thinking the same thing. All that visibility from the lift, although it will make for some great flail watching.

Don't worry, since CB isn't EPIC or IKONIC, no one will ski there anyways.

True, but I also won't be surprised if they're being courted by both right now

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    True, but I also won't be surprised if they're being courted by both right now
    Screw linking up Aspen's four mountains, let's get CB tied in Highlands to CB tram! I mean... it's cheaper than a heli ride over the Elks!

But really, I hope CB can stay independent with a MC partnership and not get caught up in the bigger pass war.