Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I told my kid Id match whatever he put in to help him get a car, then he worked pretty much full time his sr. year and pulled together almost 15K. He was so fixated on only 1 car, a WRX STI manual hatchback and looking at 5+ yr old used cars north of 30K. I said no way in hell does a 18yro need that car, the insurance alone was an extra 350/mo. So I think he kind of played me when he ended up with the Golf R.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Got it.

92, Manual, Diesel, Defender 90.

Do I dare ask how much?

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Is that yours? If so, please tell me more about its mechanicals. What's been done, and what still needs done? At that price I could afford to sink some pretty substantial additional repairs into it.
    Hilarious how they say 160,000 miles is "low miles" but on an old 4R, it actually is. Haha. I think the big thing to look for on those is rust on the frames. If it's totally free of rust, then dealing with any mechanical issues is no biggie if you get a deal on the vehicle. Heck, at that price you can swap the motor, trans, etc., and still come out ok in the long run.

Consider MPG, though. If your kid wants a vehicle that doesn't continually crush his wallet at the pump, might want to look at something of the non-SUV variety. That's where I REALLY like the thought of a super used Prius. Great MPG, very practical with tons of cargo space, absurdly reliable, and can be obtained on the cheap.

Is that yours? If so, please tell me more about its mechanicals. What's been done, and what still needs done? At that price I could afford to sink some pretty substantial additional repairs into it.
    Not mine. I might check it out but I like older euro wagons, they are a bit more refined for my ol ass.

Dude you could buy it, replace fluids (diffs, xfer, brake, coolant, blinker) give full tuneup new brakes new tires and be into it for 3500 if you pay full price. That thing will last longer than you and take those boys places that make you proud as a poppa. It aint fast although itd be fine on the interstate and its a 20 mpg on a good day rig so keep that in mind
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Yep to all of that. But that might just be the rig I think he SHOULD want (because it's the equivalent of what I would have wanted at that age) and may not be the rig he really wants. Been scanning classifieds for days now, and I'm leaning back towards Subaru. Though I've also taken a detour into VW.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Though I've also taken a detour into VW.
    That's fine and all, and I really do love many older VWs, BUT if you don't think you're kid's quite the wrenching type, then I'd steer clear. European car maintenance is not cheap if you're not willing to do some of it yourself. They can be really great cars IF you stay absolutely up on top of the maintenance, but you don't dare slack like you can on a Toyota or Honda. You have been warned.

What Austin said. Euro cars are generally more fussy, require more maintenance and $$$ than Asian cars.
    Way back when it was time for me to do a slight upgrade, and I was painting this guy's house, wife, two cars, etc. They had Volvo wagons. I liked the looks of them, practicality,(sleeping in them on roadtrips), etc. But, I also knew people who had Volvos that were constantly in the shop, requiring much $$. Anyway, was talking to this guy about choices, and he said, "Go Japanese." I went with Subaru.

Edit: I do like the look of that 4Runner posted below, and, concur with others about putting some $ into it, it'll last a long time, etc. I guess the one consideration for me, though, would be mpg, driving it in the city, etc. If that isn't that big a deal, and, IF the car checks out, it could be a sweet ride. Older rig is the other factor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That's fine and all, and I really do love many older VWs, BUT if you don't think you're kid's quite the wrenching type, then I'd steer clear. European car maintenance is not cheap if you're not willing to do some of it yourself. They can be really great cars IF you stay absolutely up on top of the maintenance, but you don't dare slack like you can on a Toyota or Honda. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I told my kid Id match whatever he put in to help him get a car, then he worked pretty much full time his sr. year and pulled together almost 15K. He was so fixated on only 1 car, a WRX STI manual hatchback and looking at 5+ yr old used cars north of 30K. I said no way in hell does a 18yro need that car, the insurance alone was an extra 350/mo. So I think he kind of played me when he ended up with the Golf R.
    Dude, that is hilarious to me. We have a 2012 Golf R that was my wife's car, but since she doesn't need a car anymore, it kinda became my daughter's. We made a deal with her like you did with your son, (but added grades to the mix), so when it all came together, she wanted to trade in the Golf for the exact car your son wanted. Anyway, he could put a big old wing on it, I guess.
    The Golf R is just not showy enough, I think.

Also edit to add that I think bigsteve is right. Shop for a CRV or a RAV4, or Escape or whatever Chevy has in the small SUV class. Or buy my 2011 BMW 328 AWD 6MT wagon.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

IS the same true for Volvos? Never owned one, but stumbled across this today: https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...510639348.html
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

IS the same true for Volvos? Never owned one, but stumbled across this today: https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...510639348.html
    01 xc70 transmission is the worst of the bunch and as they near 150k it'll need all kinds of things. Volvo's definitely need some love, a handy person can do most of it but if you pay a shop that L&C tuition will seem cheap compared to paying to keep that thing running.

IS the same true for Volvos?
    Pre '06 on XC70's is not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Dude, that is hilarious to me. We have a 2012 Golf R that was my wife's car, but since she doesn't need a car anymore, it kinda became my daughter's. We made a deal with her like you did with your son, (but added grades to the mix), so when it all came together, she wanted to trade in the Golf for the exact car your son wanted. Anyway, he could put a big old wing on it, I guess.
    The Golf R is just not showy enough, I think.

Also edit to add that I think bigsteve is right. Shop for a CRV or a RAV4, or Escape or whatever Chevy has in the small SUV class. Or buy my 2011 BMW 328 AWD 6MT wagon.
    One of Chevy's small SUV is an Equinox then the Traverse is a bit bigger. A ski buddy has had a few of Equinoxes (leased them) and speaks highly of them. 4 cylinder engine, room for 4 and a bit of gear for a trip, All wheel drive. GMC has an equal to it- Terrain or maybe Acadia name???

Don't. Second gen 4runners with the 3.0 V6 are project vehicles. He even mentions it in the ad (These older ones are easy to convert into rock crawler or off roaders. excellent for engine swaps) And the auto trans is undesirable. That price isn't a killer deal, it's what it's worth.

Like I said in my first post, if you/he want(s) a 4runner you should be looking at the third generation 1995-2002. The 3.4 V6 is a better engine, there's more interior space, they're safer, liftgate rather than tailgate (that the window motor was notorious for dying on), there was a factory locker option... I could go on, but you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Don't. Second gen 4runners with the 3.0 V6 are project vehicles. He even mentions it in the ad (These older ones are easy to convert into rock crawler or off roaders. excellent for engine swaps) And the auto trans is undesirable. That price isn't a killer deal, it's what it's worth.

Like I said in my first post, if you/he want(s) a 4runner you should be looking at the third generation 1995-2002. The 3.4 V6 is a better engine, there's more interior space, they're safer, liftgate rather than tailgate (that the window motor was notorious for dying on), there was a factory locker option... I could go on, but you get the picture.
    ^^^ All of this. If you get an old 4R, get a 3rd gen.

A later model (97-01) Cherokee fits what you're looking for, except for mileage. I miss mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Consider MPG, though. If your kid wants a vehicle that doesn't continually crush his wallet at the pump, might want to look at something of the non-SUV variety. That's where I REALLY like the thought of a super used Prius. Great MPG, very practical with tons of cargo space, absurdly reliable, and can be obtained on the cheap.
    Recently rehabbed an 05 Prius w/ quarter of a million miles on it for my son who lives in the city. If you can get one for short money (avoid gen I cars) and are ready to walk away if the worst happens (traction battery shits the bed) these things ain't bad at all. With some notable exceptions Toyota makes some pretty reliable automobiles.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Yes. Be prepared to open your wallet with that one. Don't get me wrong. I like them a lot. Mine has been absolutely bomber ('08), but going with an '01? Hmmmm. I don't know about that. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't mind one, BUT I'm also fairly handy and don't mind getting under the hood once in a while.

If you really want a car that won't spend much time in the garage or drain your bank account in repairs, you really may want to consider new. That's normally not the way I'd ever suggest, but you want him in a vehicle that's no fuss, no muss, and with good mpg, right? I already mentioned the little Mitsu (they're literally the cheapest new car you can buy in America), but also check into the Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, or the Ford Fiesta (an awesome little car actually). Roll into the dealer with a stack of fresh bills that keeps you at/under your budget. They'll take it. I still maintain that a used Prius could be great. Subarus are great for his lifestyle, but people want so much freaking money for them until they thoroughly used up. Same with 4Runners/Tacomas. You may also want to check into something like a used Honda Civic, Accord, Acura TSX or otherwise. Pretty reliable and can be had for an ok price used.

Back to the original post - possible sleeper deals on AWD or 4WD vehicles - IOW ones that aren't what everyone immediately thinks of:

I like the Suzuki suggestion - also add in the Grand Vitara. Some other potentially cheap to buy, but hopefully reliable enough for the $:

-Saturn Vue with the Honda V6
    -Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)
    -assorted Fords in AWD: Fusion, Freestyle
    -Nissan Pathfinder or Infiniti QX4 - don't hold value like 4Runners. Late 90s ones should be cheap enough.
    -Kia Sportage, Sorento.
    -Hyundai Tucson, Santa Fe.
    -minivans - Astro, old Previa.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

. Subarus are great for his lifestyle, but people want so much freaking money for them until they thoroughly used up. Same with 4Runners/Tacomas.
    I don't think that's entirely true about Subes, though I have my bias of course. Yes, people ask a bit for them, but, I've been perusing CL since the OP started this thread, and have seen some very good looking cars on there for a reasonable price. Reasonable meaning, within the Op's stated budget. Anyway, lots' of good ideas for cars on this thread, though, imo, many that are mentioned strike me as being a bit too small for recreation/hauling purposes, at least for me. Others, volvos, etc. are, I think, money pits, unless/even if? you get a newer one.

Here's one example.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...514148945.html

And another, on what could be a killer car. 6 cyl. therefore, not as likely to have the head gasket issues.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...509050305.html

Another.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...500598010.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...508550263.html