Smith Fan goggle repair help needed

Anyone on the east side of Teton Pass have the skills to re-solder a loose wire on my wife's goggles? We are camping in Tetonia and don't have the tools in the trailer.
    Thanks in advance,
    Yardsale

I'm not there - but you can just fix with some electrical tape. red to red, black to black. pretty basic.

I cut off the little headphone jack on mine and just straight soldered the wires directly, then heat-shrunk. much much better.

Turbo fans work great when they work but the wiring fuct up on 2 pair of the old version 1 turbo fans for me

As a recovering HW guy I have done a lot of soldering but I found the wiring too small/fiddley/fucked up to solder so I finally just cut the damn thing off cuz its still a pretty good OTG goggle, putting a thick broccoli elastic around the battery pack helps

I seen what seems to be a new version with a plug in battery pack but I am not sure if the OTG goggle uses it yet but in any case is the version 2 any good??

My retail buddy tells me Smith has a HUGE portion of the goggle market cornered
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    in any case is the version 2 any good??
    No. Turbo fans are fucking abysmal. I had four pairs, two pair of each version. Thank god for Smiths warranty. After the fourth pair I said fuck it and got regular I/Ox's on warranty.

The wires are too small on the old ones and the cold would eventually work them loose like a shitty phone charger wire. The new version would get stiff and unplug from the goggle anytime you moved them. Not to mention the batteries just don't last in the cold.

Great idea, poor execution. I am willing to bet their turbofan line is the most warrantied goggle at Smith.

yeah IMO the quality on version 1 was pretty suspect, I did some soldering on the 1st pair, then they FUBARed but I got warranty.

My second pair FUBARED pretty quick, so when a ski bud had the Version 2, the execution looked better so ... I was hoping

maybe I should look at the new Oakley with the heated lense ?

needing an OTG goggle limits my choices
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

much different experience with the I/OX turbo. I have completely removed the the fan assembly with battery pack and put it on another frame. All the I/OX frames are molded to receive the fan mech. Same unit for 4yrs - runs flawless.
    ​I am not in your hurry

We looked at the heated goggle yesterday. $300. Never considered warranty option but that doesn't help us in the near term unfortunately. Pat says she is considering contacts again after 20 years of frame glasses. Can't tape due to location of break.