Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Our local discount super market chain Market Basket don't do no stinking self checkout. And prices per full shopping cart run a good 10 or 15 per cent less than anywhere else. It's a bit of a throw back in a number of ways though and its employees have fought to keep it that way.

In fact a few years ago their non Union workwent on strike for two months when the two cousins who controlled the place (Artie T. DeMoulas and Artie S. DeMoulas) got in a pissing/death match over the future of the place. The winner favored keepin the employees somewhat happy and the loser was sort of a fuck 'em all corporate raider type who wanted to bleed all of the cash out of the gold mine as soon as possible. Well Artie T. Won after the strike (and very effective customer boycott).

The shopping experience? Crowded stores, employees range from helpful to "what'd a you want, I got shelves to stock." Stores look like supermarkets did 30 years ago, stark lighting, no cute sections etc. Selection is good but decidedly focused at the middle range in quality and price. Good selection of ethnic stuff but that's because it's where the local Caribbean, Indian, Chinese folks shop.

I usually shop there cause I'm a cheap bastard but I have to gird my loins before I venture in.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Name:  Pickles.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  145.7 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Between Walmart and Kroger, 500 stores are about to ditch cashiers

Walmart and Kroger are about to ditch cashiers in 500 stores Walmart and Kroger are about to ditch cashiers in 500 stores
    8:52 AM ET Wed, 10 Jan 2018 | 00:51
    Walmart is expanding its "Scan & Go" technology to an additional 100 locations across the U.S., the retailer announced Tuesday, playing into a growing trend of companies giving consumers the option to shop their stores without interacting with a cashier.

Others working to perfect their own digital shopping scanners include grocery giant Kroger and internet behemoth Amazon, which has been piloting a store without checkout lines, called Amazon Go, near its Seattle headquarters.

Kroger's recently introduced platform, known as "Scan, Bag, Go," will roll out to 400 of the grocery chain's stores later this year. That will put the company ahead of Walmart, which anticipates having its "Scan & Go" service at fewer than 200 stores by the end of 2018.

With "Scan, Bag, Go," shoppers simply scan bar codes on items they will be purchasing, either with a handheld scanner or via Kroger's smartphone app, as they walk throughout the store.

Self-checkout kiosks will await customers at the end of their shopping, where valid coupons have been tallied and a final total is instantly calculated. Eventually, shoppers should be able to bypass those kiosks altogether and pay directly through the app, Kroger has told Business Insider.

The process at Walmart looks similar: Using an app, customers will scan items (even produce) on their own as they walk through the store. They will be able to pay on their phonThe impetus behind these efforts is the idea that many consumers today want a speedy, seamless experience, especially when shopping for grocery items.

While some shoppers are getting comfortable with ordering groceries online, a majority of Americans are still reluctant to do so. Although grocery stores are still vital to many communities, those locations often lack technology upgrades. 2018 could be a year to change that — or at least start.

Grocers are under pressure, in an already thin-margin business, to cut costs and make the shopping experience more enjoyable for customers. The front of those stores merits a refresh, where long lines can be slashed and resources can be employed elsewhere.

As the cashier ranks dwindle, displaced employees can work other areas of the store, focusing on certain merchandise categories or assisting customers.

For now, Amazon Go is still only open to the company's employees in Seattle. But Kroger and Walmart are opening the floodgates for this new technology at hundreds of stores in 2018.es when they're finished. A Mobile Express lane will also be situated at the front of Walmart's stores for those shoppers to walk through, for security purposes, before they leave.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Stores where the stuff is scanned automatically and billed to your CC are not far behind. I was reading about a grocery chain that developed the hardware and software to do it---it worked well enough that they stopped selling groceries and started selling the automatic checkout system.

The scan it yourself system as you shop would be disastrous at the Truckee Safeway when it's busy. It's hard enough to get through the aisles as it is, without people sitting there with their cart in the middle of the aisle trying to scan and bag something.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The scan it yourself system as you shop would be disastrous at the Truckee Safeway when it's busy. It's hard enough to get through the aisles as it is, without people sitting there with their cart in the middle of the aisle trying to scan and bag something.
    And we thought old lady's breaking out their checkbooks in front of us in the checkout aisle were bad!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Stores where the stuff is scanned automatically and billed to your CC are not far behind. I was reading about a grocery chain that developed the hardware and software to do it---it worked well enough that they stopped selling groceries and started selling the automatic checkout system.

Amazon just opened one in Seattle

Amazon's automated grocery store of the future opens Monday (1/22/18)

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    And we thought old lady's breaking out their checkbooks in front of us in the checkout aisle were bad!
    If you start your check while they are ringing (payee, date, signature) a check takes less time than a CC with all the screens you have to scroll through to finalize your payment. Yes, sometimes I write checks now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    If you start your check while they are ringing (payee, date, signature) a check takes less time than a CC with all the screens you have to scroll through to finalize your payment.
    ummm, no

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    ummm, no
    Umm yeah. By they time they are done ringing and bagging all I have to do is write in the amount. If I use a CC I have at least four screens to go through and sometimes you have to wait for the cashier to do something. At the very least it's a wash when I do it. An 80yo might be slower.

well, I can only guess WW needs to get some new computers cuz chip readers are done before you can even start the written number line
    or
    you are exceptionally fast

As I bag my own groceries I can't write a check at the same time.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    well, I can only guess WW needs to get some new computers cuz chip readers are done before you can even start the written number line
    or
    you are exceptionally fast
    or maybe the world just needs to slow down a little and take a breath

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    There you go... taking away someone's job again............

Grocers are under pressure, in an already thin-margin business, to cut costs and make the shopping experience more enjoyable for customers. The front of those stores merits a refresh, where long lines can be slashed and resources can be employed elsewhere.

As the cashier ranks dwindle, displaced employees can work other areas of the store, focusing on certain merchandise categories or assisting customers.

These two mini paragraphs contradict. If grocers are trying to cut costs moving the cashiers to other jobs won't do it.

The bottom line is that over the next 5 to 10 years large numbers of low skilled workers are going to lose their jobs to automation. #robot thread
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

There you go... taking away someone's job again............
    I shop at the small local market in my area instead of the Shaws, a bit more expensive but it has everything I need. 96% of the time there are no baggers, the cashier has to stop checking and bag to clear space if customers don't bag.
    I have told tourists that the line would move faster if they helped bag a number of times during busy holiday periods. Amazing that a couple buying $3-400 worth of shit would stand and watch someone do two jobs. They always give me "the look" and start bagging.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

I shop at the small local market in my area instead of the Shaws, a bit more expensive but it has everything I need. 96% of the time there are no baggers, the cashier has to stop checking and bag to clear space if customers don't bag.
    I have told tourists that the line would move faster if they helped bag a number of times during busy holiday periods. Amazing that a couple buying $3-400 worth of shit would stand and watch someone do two jobs. They always give me "the look" and start bagging.
    I do the bulk of my shopping at Super 1 (Rosauers) where they have wonderful baggers. José, Merle, Byran - all great guys who brighten my shopping day. I don't need help out to my car but will often take them up on the offer because I know they want to get out and it gives me time to get to know them, ask them how their day is going. I've learned a lot about each one of them and look forward to seeing them when I shop. It would be really sad if they lost their jobs to automation.

The other store I shop at is Andy's, an Adventist grocery store. It is a small local store in College Place (Adventist town) that carries a lot of local produce and other locally produced goods. They too have baggers who I've come to know and enjoy chatting with.

Both stores have great cashiers and managers too. Always friendly and helpful.

My take on bagging is similar to my take on self-checkout. Give me a discount. I don't work for you. Either give me a discount for bagging, or, if the fact that i won't bag my shit is hurting your throughput at the register and thus hurting your store's bottom line, fucking hire somebody.

edit: just picked up on the fact that he's talking about a small local market and not a big chain, sorry. In that case I am far more flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    My take on bagging is similar to my take on self-checkout. Give me a discount. I don't work for you. Either give me a discount for bagging, or, if the fact that i won't bag my shit is hurting your throughput at the register and thus hurting your store's bottom line, fucking hire somebody.

edit: just picked up on the fact that he's talking about a small local market and not a big chain, sorry. In that case I am far more flexible.
    I appreciate the discount chains where it is explicitly understood that I bag my shit and it is set up for the customer to do so. WinCo is the best.

These two mini paragraphs contradict. If grocers are trying to cut costs moving the cashiers to other jobs won't do it.
    by "assist" they mean upsell customers or move into low-skill food prep to compete with online meal services. online grocery shoppers are more likely to simply reorder from a list of favorites and less likely to be upsold, it's a death blow for all of the megacorps in staples and grocery.

I do the bulk of my shopping at Super 1 (Rosauers) where they have wonderful baggers. José, Merle, Byran - all great guys who brighten my shopping day. I don't need help out to my car but will often take them up on the offer because I know they want to get out and it gives me time to get to know them, ask them how their day is going. I've learned a lot about each one of them and look forward to seeing them when I shop. It would be really sad if they lost their jobs to automation.
    There's a Rosauers in Bozeman where I've always appreciated it being one of the last bastions of friendly baggers. One of the few places that still ask "paper or plastic?" And definitely one of the few places who ask if you'd like for them to help you take your groceries to your car. Funny how these things used to be standard practice, and now it feels like a luxury. Personally, I enjoy the personal interaction with the checkers and baggers. Many of whom take real pride in their jobs. I too, will be sad to see automation keep hacking away at their jobs.

no shame in that

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I appreciate the discount chains where it is explicitly understood that I bag my shit and it is set up for the customer to do so. WinCo is the best.
    Sorry just saw this on the bump - totally fine with places that don't bag at all because they are trying to keep prices down and are upfront about it.

I shop at Target a lot. Totally hate that they've gone to less checkers and more self-checkout. But I'm fast at self check-out, even with Cartwheel, single grocery items etc. (I should have been a checker). I was just thinking the other day if they gave a discount for self-check it would be awesome. I had a guy behind me comment how he was impressed how fast I got thru my full cart in the self checkout. LOL. I have my Target app set up with my credit card, so that's slick also. Cartwheel discounts and payment all at once, pretty fast. Oh, and my kids are trained to bag, so I do the checking & they bag for me. We should be Nascar pit crew. ha
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Target rules. Walmart is pretty rad, too

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I went to Wal-mart today and used self-check. Regular lines were packed, all six self-checks were empty.

I went to Wal-mart today and used self-check. Regular lines were packed, all six self-checks were empty.
    Because Walmart shoppers are fucking dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Because Walmart shoppers are fucking dumb.
    No, they aren't dumb, they are, como se dice, estupido.

How much is this? How much is this? Quanta questa? No, I don't want this, no, I don't want. Yes, OK... ad nauseum.

Numbers are pretty much universal at this point. Not in roll back land.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague