Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Any one else opting for the scout?
    Yeah I was thinking about that since I'm a lighter dude and 40 grams for $100 might not be worth it depending on how the Scout actual flex rating/ feeling is.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Pro is distinctly stiffer than Scout. Scout shop floor flex is maybe par with previous ZeroGs. Both good quality flex.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Based on tecnicas listed specs the weight is 1320 vs 1360 for the scout. I’m wondering if I could save some money and get the scout... Maybe the 40 grams and a stiffer boot is worth the price difference? I ski a Mach 1 130 in bounds, but don’t need the most rowdy boot for backcountry. Is the flex difference between the 120 and 130 really that much? Any one else opting for the scout?
    Anyone have thoughts on durability differences between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on durability differences between the two?
    Based only on fondling the two side by side, there won't be any difference. The stuff that's going to break on those boots (buckles, walk mechanism, worn out soles, maybe a cracked lower shell) is the same on both models.

And just to be clear, I don't mean to imply that they'll be any more or less durable than other boots in this class. Just that the scout vs pro are going to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Based only on fondling the two side by side, there won't be any difference. The stuff that's going to break on those boots (buckles, walk mechanism, worn out soles, maybe a cracked lower shell) is the same on both models.

And just to be clear, I don't mean to imply that they'll be any more or less durable than other boots in this class. Just that the scout vs pro are going to be the same.
    Thank you. Very helpful. Wondering if the 130 in the Tour will be too much. Think I'll be fine but nice to know there's another option within the weight class.

Zipfit liner in ZGTP

What does the forum think would be the impact of zipfit alpine liner on the downhill performance? Would it come close to say a Nordica Strider?

hard to say. it would weigh a ton and sure tour like shit though. Also wouldn't fit anything like a Strider. At that point, with the weight and loss of touring capability why not just stay with the Strider?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    hard to say. it would weigh a ton and sure tour like shit though. Also wouldn't fit anything like a Strider. At that point, with the weight and loss of touring capability why not just stay with the Strider?
    I imagine that he wants a liner quiver instead of a boot quiver

Sent from my VS995 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwerks View Post
    What does the forum think would be the impact of zipfit alpine liner on the downhill performance? Would it come close to say a Nordica Strider?

No way you could fit a zip fit liner in them. They are designed around a rather thin lightweight liner. There is t much room in there for much more than that.

Liner quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I imagine that he wants a liner quiver instead of a boot quiver
    Yes that's exactly what I'm after. The question relates to an air travel friendly setup with Shift bindings and Kore 93 skis. I can easily pack extra liners but not two boots. Use the stock liner for touring and the zipfits for inbounds or lift assisted days. Zipfits might even do double duty in my FIS slalom boots.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwerks View Post
    Yes that's exactly what I'm after. The question relates to an air travel friendly setup with Shift bindings and Kore 93 skis. I can easily pack extra liners but not two boots. Use the stock liner for touring and the zipfits for inbounds or lift assisted days. Zipfits might even do double duty in my FIS slalom boots.
    Interesting idea. $200 for another pair of liners vs. $700 for another pair of boots.

I don't know how the zip fits will work but the liner quiver is a good idea. I considered it as well for travel... perhaps adding a power wrap
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

-zip fits aren’t $200.

-custom liners are customized to the boot as well as the foot. While it’s possible to use the same liner in two different boots it’s not going to fit very precise unless they share the same last (ex: Lange XT/RS/RX). I know ZipFits aren’t truely ‘custom’ in the same way as Intuition, or Foam injected, the odds of building one to fit both a FIS Slalom boot and a ZeroG Tour is unlikely.

-unless touring is your primary focus, I’d rather take a 5355/GripWalk/WTR boot for better energy transfer with the Shift. If touring is your primary focus, I’d Pair the boot with one liner but something like a intuition pro tour with a stiff tongue or the tour wrap. If traveling light is something you’re interested in, keep in mind while light, liners are bulky.
    Last edited by XavierD; 11-16-2018 at 12:47 PM.

My bootfitter has the zipfits and ZGTP in stock in my tiny size 24.5. He also has the Strider so I'll carpet test them side by side. Will report back on findings. Zipfits list price is 220 btw

Damn, we used to sell them for $400

Did you think they are worth that much?

The difference between the Scout and the Pro is just in the cuff.

Scout is a Grilamid cuff

Pro is a Grilamid/Carbon resin cuff. Stiffer and a little lighter.

Tour is a PU lower with Triax cuff I think. Also has a slightly thicker liner that weighs a little more.

So it's a typo on the Tecnica site that lists the Scout cuff as PU?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    So it's a typo on the Tecnica site that lists the Scout cuff as PU?
    Yup. If it was PU the difference would be much more than 30 or so grams. It’s Grilamid.

^ Wow, had I known that, I would have definitely considered the Scout before pulling the trigger on the Pro. No biggie though.

Ditto. Still do as of 2 years ago. Wtf zipfits are 220? Old ass ones?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Wow, had I known that, I would have definitely considered the Scout before pulling the trigger on the Pro. No biggie though.
    Why? If you don’t mind me asking? 30g is 30g regardless of what it’s made out of right? Was weight or something else the deciding factor in going one vs the other?

Pro is definitely stiffer than the Scout.

Didn't actually notice it was only 40g difference, just saw PU, assumed it was heavier, jumped over to the Tour Pro info, and never gave the Scout another thought. For my weight I'm fine with 120 or 130 flex, DD boot is 2017 Cochise 120.

Other lighter guys who are good with 120 flex could save a little coin with the Scout, unless that 40g is worth another $100 to them.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Ditto. Still do as of 2 years ago. Wtf zipfits are 220? Old ass ones?
    Take a look at skibartlett in the UK. Seem like brand new models

Ok trying to figure out which shell I should get for this guy.

Tried on a 26.5 of last year's ZeroG Guide Pro and it was definitely a performance fit, heel hold felt really solid, except for too much pressure on the instep (always the bane of fitting for me). Would it be not bad to get more space there since it's easier to get instep space with the overlap construction + grillamid (correct me if I'm wrong) + boot board grind? Plus a couple mm more space in the toes would be nice in that fit. No footbeds in the boot for that fit.

Then tried on a 27.5 of 18-19 Chochise 120 (closest equivalent 27.5 they had in stock). And that felt comfy with still having good heel hold, plenty of room for my toes, and no instep pressure. But not too much room left on the instep buckle for when the liner packs out, but again didn't bring any footbeds with me. But the liner in the Chochise felt thicker/ plusher than the ZeroG.

Armchair advice? (yes I know you can't give 100% advice without seeing my foot)
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 11-26-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.