Page 265 of 268 FirstFirst ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,625 of 6697

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’m not so sure about that. Both my wife and I started skiing in the mid to late 70s and we both used ski buses which were pretty cheap (ski club, after school, etc.), to get up to our hills. I was in the Midwest, she skied Snoqualmie Pass. Indeed, my friends who had money went on vacations and stayed in nice places etc. but I had almost no money and figured out a way to do it.
    My parents absolutely had no money, and didn’t contribute one penny to any of my ski endeavors.
    Anyway, are ski buses to the local hills from the high schools even a thing anymore?
    Same story here, but in the late 80's as a high schooler riding county parks & rec sponsored busses to little molehills in VA. $25 included lift ticket, rental, and 4 hr round trip on a school bus with my buddies.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I read the Slate article yesterday. It is a good summary of the current situation but it’s not like poor folks were ever going to be able to downhill ski. It’s really just separating the rich/upper middle class from the regular middle class. Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s downhill skiing was never an option, there’s just no way my parents could have afforded it even in the heyday of “cheap” lift tickets. It was hard enough keeping food for 3 kids on the table. Downhill skiing is always going to be for the relatively well off.
    Same here. I didn't start skiing until I was 16 and my friends who were 17 could drive to Vernon Valley on the weekends. I had a job and used my own money. I have gotten great value out of the Ikon pass, but I have no idea how Alterra & Epic don't see that the current youth who are the future of their business is going to be non-existent in 10 years with the current business model. Not everyone wants/can to ski 10+ days/year when the kids are young and day ticket prices are insane so they just won't go at all.
    Very short sighted, but the CEOs probably get bonuses paid on revenue, so they don't care about 10 years from now. This reminds me of a guy I used to work with that owned a Carvel franchise. His wife ran the store and they made the bulk of their money selling cakes around Holidays. A new CEO came in and his bonus was based on revenue rather than profit. He is the one who started having supermarkets sell the Carvel cakes. Margins were not nearly as good selling through a middle man and he had to hire extra people to make cakes because they had a certain amount they had to sell to supermarkets every month. His profit shrunk, but sales were up big time.

Expectations of what constitutes a good day of skiing have changed. Look at the number of intermediates who ski Squaw, which sux for them compared to Alpine (the gondola will probably change that.) Look at the number of beginners at big resorts, when a small "family" resort would better suit them. Look at the number of people who only come out on powder days. All of that has changed the financial picture, especially for the smaller hills and the hills without big names.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_the_fraulein View Post

All in, an $800-plus day.

...…...
    Clubmed all-inclusive vacation that includes lodging, food, drinks, and passes is less than that for two people. Transportation is extra tho…

Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Anyway, are ski buses to the local hills from the high schools even a thing anymore?
    Santa Fe schools bring kids to the hill girls PE some/most Fridays. Doubt it’s free.

This guy has nothing better to do than sit in a fucking camp chair with a shotgun waiting for skiers to enter his property? God, people are weird. And what the hell are those pants?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This guy has nothing better to do than sit in a fucking camp chair with a shotgun waiting for skiers to enter his property? God, people are weird. And what the hell are those pants?
    I don't think those are pants.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I don't think those are pants.
    Okay, he's wearing a skirt. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Okay, he's wearing a skirt. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    It's no' a skir' - it's a KILT!!

Are there really no no trespassing signs?

Classic is in the last frame you can see the traffic jam on big Cottonwood canyon.

Another topic, based on survey Ikon sent out a few months ago, I'm guessing next years base pass is going to have significantly more blackout days.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Another topic, based on survey Ikon sent out a few months ago, I'm guessing next years base pass is going to have significantly more blackout days.
    That would be pretty awesome. Snowbird is very noticeably less crowded on blackout days.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Are there really no no trespassing signs?

Classic is in the last frame you can see the traffic jam on big Cottonwood canyon.

No, it's a public road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That would be pretty awesome. Snowbird is very noticeably less crowded on blackout days.
    Both canyons are. That base pass is the scourge of the Wasatch!

I'm amazed non altara easy to get to major resorts like Snowbird stay on ikon at all, let alone the base pass. But it is a nice option.

Renewal prices and dates announced:
    https://www.ikonpass.com/en/shop-pas...1pXPk9VKwsoo58

$869 base, $819 for renewal base. Sale starts March 15, some spring access starts March 15 and the rest by April 1.

I barely used my base pass this year. One trip to Utah with bad snow conditions timing (ice and gravel), returned home and the dog blew out his knee the next day, so had to cancel a trip to Canada. Considering skipping next year's pass and just buying in spring of 2025 for some spring Mammoth usage.
    Last edited by El Chupacabra; 03-07-2024 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    I wonder if there will be a group buy like years past.

A-Basin is currently still limited to 5 or 7 days depending on the pass. We will see if that changes after the deal closes.

They added a single day at the bike park, included with the pass. Mammoth and other locations.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

As far as I can tell the bike park perk isn't included in the base pass?

spring info: https://www.ikonpass.com/en/spring-skiing

I'm full pass for myself this year and base for 2 kids. Kids have only used at June Mtn so far, but planning Big Sky for spring break. I think next year not buying ikon for kids since free at June and get them a '26 ikon that will hopefully work spring '25 at Mammoth. And just a base pass for me. Such a hassle to plan all this years in advance.
    Last edited by 406; 03-07-2024 at 02:55 PM.

Looks like bike park pass is included on all levels:

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Looks like bike park pass is included on all levels:
    No Trestle day?

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    A-Basin is currently still limited to 5 or 7 days depending on the pass. We will see if that changes after the deal closes.
    Hopefully the deal closes late enough in the year when pass sales are over. That way it doesn't benefit Alterra from a pass sales perspective to remove the 5/7 day restriction.

I paid around $1650 last year for 5 Abasin passes (mix of adults and teens/kids). Same 5 Ikon passes would cost me $3295 for next season. Fuck that noise.

I was planning on getting ikon in addition to abasin so now i am in a quandary. If abasin isnt 100% no blackouts on ikon, then i have to buy a separate abasin pass. Which i guess just puts me back where i was before they were bought.

I am deciding between EPIC and a) full ikon; b) ALTA mid-week; c) ALTA senio; or d) Powder Card. I don’t really care about Solitude (but it is nice on those days when I drive down to Wasatch Blvd. and traffic starts lining up before the fire station), Snowbird (except in May) or even DV (I think that everything at canyons is just a bit better than things at DV, especially crowds now that Alterra owns it ), but they would be nice. I would just buy a full EPIC, but ALTA is my favorite place to ski. Next year, I think, instead of going to Jackson for a week we will go to Telluride. $1150 is a lot to pay for an Ikon Pass. Just thinking out loud
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 03-07-2024 at 06:24 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am deciding between EPIC and a) full ikon; b) ALTA mid-week; c) ALTA senio; or d) Powder Card. I don’t really care about Solitude (but it is nice on those days when I drive down to Wasatch Blvd. and traffic starts lining up before the fire station), Snowbird (except in May) or even DV (I think that everything at canyons is just a bit better than things at DV, especially crowds now that Alterra owns it ), but they would be nice. I would just buy a full EPIC, but ALTA is my favorite place to ski. Next year, I think, instead of going to Jackson for a week we will go to Telluride. $1150 is a lot to pay for an Ikon Pass. Just thinking out loud
    I thought we had decided Alta sucks in the Wasatch thread?