Check Out Our Shop

Ski boots and semi-automatic crampons

Does anyone have experience with using semi-automatic crampons with ski boots (particularly CAMP USA)? I'd be using them with a pair of light mountaineering boots most of the time for general above microspike winter hiking use, but it would be nice to be able to put them on my AT boots too if conditions merit. My worry is that the protrusions where the toe straps attach might not be wide enough to clear the hard toe of the boot.

For example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ONECOL.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	221585

For most boots, the crampons are too wide in the front, so you have to add stuff (duct tape in my case-a lot) so they fit without moving side to side.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

yer gonna die
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Take your boots into a real mountaineering shop and try the crampons on the boots. You'll have to be the judge of acceptable amount of gap/play/sliding between the crampon and the boot, but ideally it's zero. Especially if you're using the crampons in no-fall zones.

I have always used full auto-crampons with AT boots. The only time I saw somebody try semi-autos on AT boots was a disaster. He bought them the day before the trip. He carpet tested them and they seemed fine. then we got on the bullet proof 40ish degree sloop only to find they toe straps won't stay on. It was a bit of a nightmare until we got to sikable terrain and could ditch the 'pons. Fortunately REI has a good exchange policy...so, while you might not die, you certainly could.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thankfully I'm unlikely to be in terrain that could lead to my death. I'll be using them more for hiking when my microspikes don't quite cut it and hopefully some glacier/snowfield traverses this summer.

And really, i don't know where I would use the crampons with my AT rather than mountaineering boots, but I was curious if I could. I think I'll still go with the semi-autos even if they may not work on the AT boots. They just seem much more convenient for the boots they'll be on the most.

Thanks!

This is as good a test fit as I could get on camp semi-autos on MTN Labs. Have to bend the front toe loop attachments for better fit. Note that the straps aren't cinched down tightly in the pic, just quickly snapped in. Whether it works or not depends probably on your boot, type of snow/ice you're climbing.

Those Nanotechs are actually what I just bought (illustrative Stalker picture above not withstanding). They're currently up on STP for $60. How do you like them?

Your picture shoes pretty much what I expected the issue to be with the front toe loop attachment points. I'll see how they fit with my boots, try them on some low consequence terrain and then probably get full autos if I ever really plan on using crampons with my touring boots.

Thanks!

anything wrong with this?
    1. buy automatic front bail
    2. drill holes for front bail
    3. cut off front strap, posts if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    anything wrong with this?
    1. buy automatic front bail
    2. drill holes for front bail
    3. cut off front strap, posts if necessary
    Just that these will be mostly used with light mountaineering boots with only a rear welt. Any use with my AT boots will be secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Those Nanotechs are actually what I just bought (illustrative Stalker picture above not withstanding). They're currently up on STP for $60. How do you like them?

Your picture shoes pretty much what I expected the issue to be with the front toe loop attachment points. I'll see how they fit with my boots, try them on some low consequence terrain and then probably get full autos if I ever really plan on using crampons with my touring boots.

Thanks!
    Well fuck me. I guess I'm returning these to BC.com because they won't price match the STP ones. Apparently they are "different". Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Well fuck me. I guess I'm returning these to BC.com because they won't price match the STP ones. Apparently they are "different". Thanks for the heads up.
    No problem. They actually just dropped the price down to $60 from $80. It was a pleasant surprise when I went to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    yer gonna die

Really it depends how solidly you need it to be. Climbing sections of WI...yeah get a new front bail/ new full auto front. More security on steepish icy spots...maybe you can get away with it.

I've certainly seen sketchier shit work down in the Ouray box canyon.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.