Page 55 of 134 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3332

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Steel is an alloy.

Being a binding manufacturer must be nerve wracking as hell in this day and age.
    why?

because every problem is something special ergo any special flower can create drama at the stroke of a key?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    why?

because every problem is something special ergo any special flower can create drama at the stroke of a key?
    Um. No.

I fiddled some with the afd height adjustment yesterday after not understanding why it seems to loose tension and develop some slop at first, but then stop and stay there at "almost good, but still a bit annoyingly loose".

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before in this long thread, but anyway... It seems that the afd plate is not held in place at the prefered height only by the threads of the adjustment screw, but also, or even rather, from a "stair-shaped" plastic piece that slides in steps over a sharper edge, or atleast some kind of corresponding shape (hard to really see, but it´s not two freely sliding surfaces anyway). Those steps in the moving part are about 1-1,2 mm (by my optical guess) apart. This means that the setting on the afd is not a smooth sliding motion, like in Markers ID plate or similar, but actually a kind of step by step adjustment not seen by the user. Since it SEEMS to be a smooth slider, as you don´t feel the steps when you adjust it, I think most are lead to believe that you can just adjust it like you do with with a free slider. Seeing this, I now understand why the AFD is acting a bit weird at times and doing jumps in height instead of just sliding nicely up or down.

To really get it to set, you might have to end up with a full engagement of that edge and the plastic sliding step. I think this is why Alka:s method of adjusting up and then down and up again is successful. If you put the afd on an height where it is just on the border of going the next level down, it seems to do so when pressure is applied in skiing later, but it has clicked down it stops there. It might explain the problem that many see with either hassles with the height adjustment, or the slop that occures after a few runs. I adjusted my AFD:s multiple times and sweared about it the first few days. After that I took a closer look set the height at where I think I am just on a position where the steps have already stepped down to a lower level, I have had no problems what so ever. It might also be the reason to why it seems to work to set the AFD height a bit too high at first and let it set to good. If you just use the standard paper slider method, most seem to get a sloppy connection after just half a day of skiing, or even less if you ski hard.

I have no drawing skills, but just to make things more clear:
    Name:  AFD Shift.jpg
Views: 1493
Size:  12.4 KB

^Interesting, thanks

First outing touring on my shifts today after a couple of days lift serve.

My toe pieces have not yet detached from my skis
    My brakes have not yet deployed while skinning
    My AFD’s have not yet dropped

Skiing these are indistinguishable from my usual STH2.
    No releases to date - no instances I would have wanted them to either.
    Toe changeover is easy.
    Locking up and releasing brakes not so much - feel like i’m about to break something securing them and hard to release them too - some more time doing it inside might help - out in 50+mph winds wasn’t ideal for experimentation.
    Spent my first skin lap cursing at low riser height and limited forward ROM boots (lange freetour)on steeper sections of established track. Got to top and the riser was down, wasn’t nearly as annoyed second lap so I’m chalking this up to being a dumbass for now.

Can Alka or any industry peeps comment on whether there will be any changes to the Shift for 2019/20? If there aren't any changes I may try to scoop a pair now as they are probably going to be more expensive next year in Canada with the horrible USDCAD.

Related: anyone see any deals for <$650CAD?

Saw them for 585 @ comor in the city last week. I assume they'll drop back down to that at some point if they don't sell out. Give em a call.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Can Alka or any industry peeps comment on whether there will be any changes to the Shift for 2019/20? If there aren't any changes I may try to scoop a pair now as they are probably going to be more expensive next year in Canada with the horrible USDCAD.

They surely aren't going to say a word before IPSO, etc. You'll know in a few weeks.

When was the last time Salomon changed anything outside of their usual 3 year cycle? The colour will be different, they will increase the price, and they will add an 11 din option. Mark my words.

I asked Cody on IG when he went live and he said there will be no changes for next year.

Name:  zoolander-bowie-paramount.png
Views: 1183
Size:  393.7 KB

I got a pair about a month ago at Comor for 585 CAD. Too lazy to check if that’s still the case.

Thanks for the tips guys, will give Comor a shout tomorrow to see if they have any in stock. Didn't expect any changes (besides maybe paint and a price increase), figured trade shows were close enough that peeps maybe have seen the catalog.

... Didn't expect any changes (besides maybe paint and a price increase), figured trade shows were close enough that peeps maybe have seen the catalog.
    Third climbing position, improved brake lock, and maybe more intuitive toe height setting? Maybe a tweak for the front nubbin so shop rats don't mess up?

All in all, a great first release but when first year paying beta testers have at it, I can see minor usability tweaks ... or not ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone have a pair of unused 110 Shift brakes they want to trade for some unused 100s? I've got a set 109 skis coming in and I don't really want to bend the brakes that far.

I am not sure you have to bend the brakes much more than a mm on each side, if at all. I would just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    Anyone have a pair of unused 110 Shift brakes they want to trade for some unused 100s? I've got a set 109 skis coming in and I don't really want to bend the brakes that far.
    Stick with the 100's as their internal width is 108mm so they'll only need a little tweak, especially if you've got a nice rounded top sheet/sidewall junction. Whereas the 110's are actually 118mm which, due them being easily accidentally deployed when skinning, is too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    I took a razor to the brake stopper inside towards the ski. Cut a mm or two on each one and you slip by pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I am not sure you have to bend the brakes much more than a mm on each side, if at all. I would just wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Stick with the 100's as their internal width is 108mm so they'll only need a little tweak, especially if you've got a nice rounded top sheet/sidewall junction. Whereas the 110's are actually 118mm which, due them being easily accidentally deployed when skinning, is too wide.
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I took a razor to the brake stopper inside towards the ski. Cut a mm or two on each one and you slip by pretty easily.
    Thanks for the beta, guys - it's encouraging.

Hopefully they'll fit the skis (Prior Husumes) and I won't have to trade or make a last-minute panic purchase to get them rideable.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I did this just because they wouldn't unlock when I tried to pull the skis apart.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I did this just because they wouldn't unlock when I tried to pull the skis apart.
    This has actually been a pet peeve of mine, too, and I've had to resort to reaching down to individually pull on each brake arm in order to separate them before trying to pull my skis apart. WTF!?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    This has actually been a pet peeve of mine, too, and I've had to resort to reaching down to individually pull on each brake arm in order to separate them before trying to pull my skis apart. WTF!?
    I mean, there are certain things that you'd woulda thought the human race would have figured out by now. Like a toilet that doesn't clog, something better than velcro, and ski brakes that don't stick together.