Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BC beginner resort recs

I'm looking for a resort in the interior BC or AB that my beginner GF would enjoy. We're in Seattle for new years and we have to end up in Calgary by the 7th.

- My GF is a beginner and on this trip I just want to spend time with her skiing and building her confidence. Cheaper resort is better since we're not going to be making the best of good lifts anyways. Easy alpine runs with great views would be perfect.

- Touring in the area would be a huge bonus for me. Would be nice to score some 5am turns, then go with my GF.

- Cozy town... not packed with bachelors like Banff but not too core like Rossland.

I heard good things about sun peaks from other beginner couples, but the resort is packed at that time so we would have to stay in Kamloops.

Whitewater? Nelson is a nice town, but how is the resort for beginners? I know it's got great access to the bc so it would work for me.

Other recommendations?

small town = less lifts = less options for terrain for everyone, and less non-skiing things for everyone to do.

Maybe sunpeaks?

Also on our way to Seattle before new year's we will be in Radium. We can either drive straight to Seattle or split it in two and go through kootany pass, one of my favorite touring area. What would be a good town to stop in if we spend a day in kootany pass?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Also on our way to Seattle before new year's we will be in Radium. We can either drive straight to Seattle or split it in two and go through kootany pass, one of my favorite touring area. What would be a good town to stop in if we spend a day in kootany pass?
    rossland?

Too much lead in Rossland...

So do you think Clearwater is a bit too limited for four days?

BC beginner resort recs

Not sure if you really meant Clearwater, or intended WH2O...
    Sun Peaks is a great family/beginner hill, but ya, the 40min commute from 'loops is a bit of a downer if you can't find on-hill accom. Not much for touring options.
    WH2O has some alright beginner runs on the Silver King side, and far more touring opportunities not to mention Nelson itself alright to hang out in if you and the GF split up for a bit. Another nice bit is that the Silver King chair runs are short, which is a real plus for beginners. Unless you and lady are looking for a very secluded patch of glades for some nookie. Then Sun Peaks Morrisey chair is perfect
    I would also consider Kimberly, not so much touring but mixed terrain and great views. Could chase some conditions and hit Panorama, and the park corridor on the way to Calgary as well.
    Last edited by BCMountainHound; 12-02-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Couples considerations..

Whitewater will almost certainly have better snow.

Silver Star is 25 min on a good road from Vernon which is a nice town
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

kimberly is a good call.

nice town, easy, but fun skiing, some touring avail off hill

90 min from fernie, panorama too.

Silver Star is beginers paradise. mid mt village, chill vibe. town (vernon) is super chill. But you don't really have any touring options, so 5 am turns would be limited to in bounds.

Unless you want to ditch the GF for the day and come touring with me... I am sure that would go over really well. But the offer stands.

(And ....Trail has way more residual lead from the Teck smelter than rossland, so you should be safe)
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Silver Star is 25 min on a good road from Vernon which is a nice town
    I was thinking Silver Star as well. SS has some steep skiing and some really flat terrain with not much in between, while Sun Peaks has a ton of the in between stuff.

In the event of no on hill accommodation then the alternative of Vernon is a lot closer to SS than Kamloops is to SP.

Thanks for the input.

We booked a nice B&B for four nights that's between vernon and silver star(closer to silver star) http://www.booking.com/Share-Qpw6v8
    The B&B is a great deal and she likes the silver star layout. Sun peaks looks like it has nicer access to alpine terrain, but accommodations are only available in kamloops and in the price range we got the nice B&B there's only motels in kamloops.

cmcrawfo thanks for the offer, gf would have no issues with me going away for a day. She's super chill with me going away for 1-2 months skiing so this time I'll pass the offer and probably just stay with her.

Big White near Kelowna is worth checking out. It's been a few years but I remember it being very beginner friendly. I'm not sure about the touring options in that area though.

Vernon/SS will be a good place to hang out and btw the xc sking is really good around SS

This pretty much how my GF skis, just not the same terrain. Looks like her technique has great potential.

I am having a hard time visualizing it. Could you post up some pics of your girlfriend?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Thanks for the input.

We booked a nice B&B for four nights that's between vernon and silver star(closer to silver star) http://www.booking.com/Share-Qpw6v8
    The B&B is a great deal and she likes the silver star layout. Sun peaks looks like it has nicer access to alpine terrain, but accommodations are only available in kamloops and in the price range we got the nice B&B there's only motels in kamloops.

cmcrawfo thanks for the offer, gf would have no issues with me going away for a day. She's super chill with me going away for 1-2 months skiing so this time I'll pass the offer and probably just stay with her.
    Good choice. Nothing really close by for touring per se, but you guys will have a great time regardless.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I am having a hard time visualizing it. Could you post up some pics of your girlfriend?
    No worries gopro and selfie stick material will come

SS is the top of a big mttn out in the middle of nowhere without other mtns around, I think it's a volcano, we started at the xc area and skied to the top of SS and then back to the area. It was really too steep to skate ski up but then it was a blast going back down

BC beginner resort recs

You’ll have fun.
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Beginner skier will need decent groomers and maybe instruction. 5 AM turns before a day at a resort? Dude, the sun won’t be coming up much before 730 AM, worse if slopes are north facing. ( our cabin at Panorama, hard against the North facing slope is dark until 745 that time of year, we don’t get direct sunlight on any part of the house until mid- February, late in the day...)

Big White is a great family resort with nice cruising groomers, Fairmont, though the snow is dicier, Kimberly is also a good beginner / intermediate hill. I still maintain that Panorama is the best family oriented mountain with terrain for all: groomers, great grooming every night, and Tayton and the Dream zone on the front side have enough stashes and lines to keep almost anyone happy.

Kicking Horse has one green run from the summit to get down, everything else would be a little aggressive for a newbie, unless they were very fit and/ or aggressive individuals.

The holiday season will be busy everywhere, SSV and LL will be even more insane....

Have a fun holiday though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Some great advice in this thread.
    Go watch the NYE fireworks in Radium. The town does a really good job, with free hot chocolate, chili and hot dogs throughout the day. If you still want to ski by the time you reach Radium, Panorama is a good hill for beginners. Just down the road is Fairmont, which is much smaller and caters to families. If you want alpine/above tree-line skiing, Sunshine Village, in Banff is spectacular on a clear day and is also beginner friendly.

Banff seems to be the best for the gf/wife situation since there is amazing scenary and non skiing options. I will be snowmobiling there in Feb, looks awesome.

I know you said Rossland.....but honestly, like others have said, I would either go with WW or Red. WW has less amenities (aside from awesome food) but great snow and no crowds. Red is super fun, low key vibe, an enough terrain for an intermediate to have fun while you enjoy some side slope pow/bumps/trees.

KH is fun and golden is an awesome town, but not much beginner terrain.

what type of skier are you and what are you looking for? are you trying to do slack/side country before/during her runs? Maybe half day lessons so you can rip and then mellow laps after?

Banff/LL is packed around New year's. We will be there before new year's on our way out from Calgary, but after new years it's fully booked. Its a very good choice but its too late to book it now. We'll also do a day or two at panorama on our way to Seattle.

KH is great but a waste for beginners.

We will stick with silver star since we found the best accommodations, and lift ticket prices are good. If we get bored we can go to one of the many great suggestions.

Last day is still open so I am considering renting her a touring set-up from gear up and taking her to the mellow meadows by Sunshine(forgot their name).

Quote Originally Posted by steezybomber View Post
    what type of skier are you and what are you looking for? are you trying to do slack/side country before/during her runs? Maybe half day lessons so you can rip and then mellow laps after?
    I pretty much ski toured exclusively for the past few years unless I go with some friends to a resort. I really like big fast days with lots of vertical. Chutes, rocks, pow, bulletproof crust... they all put a smile on my face.

Banff/LL is packed around New year's. We will be there before new year's on our way out from Calgary, but after new years it's fully booked. Its a very good choice but its too late to book it now. We'll also do a day or two at panorama on our way back to Seattle
    PM me if you have an interest in a few runs at Pano. We are likely there Boxing Day to New Years and beyond.

Fingers crossed for some fresh snow......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk