Page 148 of 149 FirstFirst ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 3715
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Reading fail.
    The thread is an MFree love fest (well deserved) so a very easy mistake to make.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Couldn't resist the crazy deal on the 192 MPro 108. So is the consensus mounting +1? Also gold Pivot or orange FKS? These are the hard questions.
    I went +1 and am happy there.

Can you ship me my legends? Feeling like the window of opportunity for mags traveling from Seattle to Schweitzer is dwindling.

Couldn't resist the crazy deal on the 192 MPro 108. So is the consensus mounting +1? Also gold Pivot or orange FKS? These are the hard questions.
    I’ve skied the Mpro on the line and +1. With my 13* boots I prefer them +1.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I loved my MFs at KH. I think thefortrees had WCs and sold for MFs. iirc 2Funky skied both at the meat up and can comment.

Tft had the DW104. WC is a different ski. Never skied the WC.

The thread is an MFree love fest (well deserved) so a very easy mistake to make.
    Oh MFree how I love thee
    pow mank groom you deliver
    carving you in corn makes me feel free
    if I lost you how could I be me
    i think I would just sit in a corner and shiver

Ok maybe not appreciated by all, but I got a good laugh out of myself

I made the poor decision of getting rid of my MFree 108s this year due to an edge compression. Then I found myself in a predicament where I couldn't find a cheap enough replacement. After a season on the mana 3 and black ops 98 this year, I can confidently say I miss the MFree 108. However, my time in the black ops 98 makes me wonder why more people don't love that ski. Also still like the mana 3, but it's more of a pow ski for me than a freeride ski.

Anyway, I need to get my mfrees back. It may take until next season. In the meantime, I'm curious if people feel like there's room to have a mpro 108 in their quiver along with the MFree. Especially from someone who skied the MFree 108 for 90% of my skiing the past three seasons. Not a fan of redundancy, but the mpro 108 looks appealing for all the reasons I liked the pro rider. But I would love to see a little more flexible and rockered tip, as well as a little more accessable tail in trees.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    78.5 cm straight pull from tail. Ski measures out at 185cm. So -14!
    thanks for posting this! Not a lot of info out there on this ski. They are on sale locally so the temptation to try a pair was real, but not with a mount point at -14. Probably missiles though

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    After a season on the mana 3 and black ops 98 this year, I can confidently say I miss the MFree 108. However, my time in the black ops 98 makes me wonder why more people don't love that ski.

I'm curious if people feel like there's room to have a mpro 108 in their quiver along with the MFree. Especially from someone who skied the MFree 108 for 90% of my skiing the past three seasons. Not a fan of redundancy, but the mpro 108 looks appealing for all the reasons I liked the pro rider. But I would love to see a little more flexible and rockered tip, as well as a little more accessable tail in trees.
    I would add Sender Free 110s and Dynastar's take on that ski - the M Free 112 - to the mix as well. The SF110 is freaking magical if you want something slightly more progressive than the MF108.

And yeah, you could easily run both MFs and MPs - they are a bit different. The latter skis shit snow like a charm and is also very approachable for potently it skis. I tried to justify having both MP182s and SF110s in the quiver this season, but in the end sold the former as the latter skis everything so well. I do not need decision paralysis with what daily driver to grad too - I have enough of the with the wider daily drivers / pow skis

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    INot a fan of redundancy, but the mpro 108 looks appealing for all the reasons I liked the pro rider. But I would love to see a little more flexible and rockered tip, as well as a little more accessable tail in trees.
    Declivity 108 ? new (2025) one seems even more TGR-y. TBH I don't understand there isn't more talk about this range.

Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    Declivity 108 ? new (2025) one seems even more TGR-y. TBH I don't understand there isn't more talk about this range.
    Just bought a used one I need to get mounted up. Sound like it's right up TGRs alley.

With the arrival of spring conditions, I pulled out my M-Free 99s for the first time since January. I forgot how fun and intuitive they are. They slash and slice, but hold an edge and feel precise in a way that wider skis don’t. Great skis.

1-week review of the 182 MF 108’s: they’re awesome and everything I’d hoped for. So much fun.

And they do occasionally feel short. It could also be me needing to adjust my technique and work on a more neutral stance. I know most here were recommending the 192’s for folks my size (6’2, 175, 45M), but I still feel like I am in between sizes, or better still and in the spirit of N+1: I have a use for both sizes.

The 182’s did feel perfect noodling through the mid-mountain trees @ Whistler and ripping night laps down at Grouse. But I could see wanting a smidge more ski in front of me for bigger/steeper/straighter things at W/B, especially later into any given season, when the legs are a bit stronger.

All that to say, for science, I’ve just ordered some closeout 192’s. Plan is to mount them in the fall, after I’ve spent an appropriate amount of time (read: all summer) deliberating over mount point.

Quote Originally Posted by obviouslynotagolfer View Post
    1-week review of the 182 MF 108’s: they’re awesome and everything I’d hoped for. So much fun.

And they do occasionally feel short. It could also be me needing to adjust my technique and work on a more neutral stance. I know most here were recommending the 192’s for folks my size (6’2, 175, 45M), but I still feel like I am in between sizes, or better still and in the spirit of N+1: I have a use for both sizes.

The 182’s did feel perfect noodling through the mid-mountain trees @ Whistler and ripping night laps down at Grouse. But I could see wanting a smidge more ski in front of me for bigger/steeper/straighter things at W/B, especially later into any given season, when the legs are a bit stronger.

All that to say, for science, I’ve just ordered some closeout 192’s. Plan is to mount them in the fall, after I’ve spent an appropriate amount of time (read: all summer) deliberating over mount point.
    Mount the 192's. They'll change your life as a WB soft snow ski.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Mount the 192's. They'll change your life as a WB soft snow ski.
    Ha, well there go my summer plans.

I'm thinking back to what D(C) wrote previously, experimenting with mount points of the 192's - if memory serves, he wasn't thrilled with them at +1.5. Would you similarly recommend just mounting on the line? (sorry in advance for re-hashing what has been discussed ad nauseum..)

Dont move the mount forward in the mfree, it’s already as close to the front of the camber that it can be

My first winter on the 192 M-Free 108. 6' 165lbs... Skiing mostly at Alpental these days.

I shouldn't have waited so long. I have been DDing the 184 4FRNT devastators (old heavy version) for the last couple years. The Dev works for almost any day out here, but the M-Free does too, and does most of it better. The only reason I'm holding out on unloading the Devs at this point is spring skiing, which they kinda rule, but I'm hoping the M-Free will be a lot of fun there too.

I pulled out the Devs after lunch last week to mop up the remnants of a hot pow morning, and just wished I had brought the M-Frees.

The Devs helped me unlock new-to-me levels of skiing, and the M-Free gives me that same feeling--the progression continues.

Also I just have to say it--I skied with my friend at White pass a few weeks ago, and was surprised at how similar in profile and shape these looked to his Soul 7s...

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    My first winter on the 192 M-Free 108. 6' 165lbs... Skiing mostly at Alpental these days.

I shouldn't have waited so long. I have been DDing the 184 4FRNT devastators (old heavy version) for the last couple years. The Dev works for almost any day out here, but the M-Free does too, and does most of it better. The only reason I'm holding out on unloading the Devs at this point is spring skiing, which they kinda rule, but I'm hoping the M-Free will be a lot of fun there too.

I pulled out the Devs after lunch last week to mop up the remnants of a hot pow morning, and just wished I had brought the M-Frees.

The Devs helped me unlock new-to-me levels of skiing, and the M-Free gives me that same feeling--the progression continues.

Also I just have to say it--I skied with my friend at White pass a few weeks ago, and was surprised at how similar in profile and shape these looked to his Soul 7s...
    Nice - good to read of another happy customer on the 192's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Dont move the mount forward in the mfree, it’s already as close to the front of the camber that it can be
    Noted - thanks!

Mount them on ze line.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Mount them on ze line.

Will do, thanks!

Think I’m selling new in plastic mtour 108 187. Good price for mags. Pm me.

where'd you find the closeouts?

Ha, well there go my summer plans.

I'm thinking back to what D(C) wrote previously, experimenting with mount points of the 192's - if memory serves, he wasn't thrilled with them at +1.5. Would you similarly recommend just mounting on the line? (sorry in advance for re-hashing what has been discussed ad nauseum..)
    I didn’t really give the +1.5 mount a fair chance. But in the few runs I got on the skis with that mount, I found it was easier to stay on the tips in turn initiation, but it was less intuitive to load up the ski through the turn. The 192s are a ski that can (and potentially needs to be) driven somewhat hard, and I felt like mounting forward took away from the ski’s strengths.

If I was looking for agility, I prefer the feel of the 182s on the line vs the 192s mounted forward. The 192 is still a big ski, and you’re in a less than optimal spot for loading it up.

But that’s just my take. I still ski in race boots and like to ski forward (though I appreciate forgiving tails). Seems like others have gotten along well with the 192s forward of recommended.

I think I’m going to grab a pair of next year’s 185s if it’s confirmed with a tape measure that they’re actually longer than the current 182.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    where'd you find the closeouts?
    https://skierssportshop.com/

Ordered them from these guys in Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I didn’t really give the +1.5 mount a fair chance. But in the few runs I got on the skis with that mount, I found it was easier to stay on the tips in turn initiation, but it was less intuitive to load up the ski through the turn. The 192s are a ski that can (and potentially needs to be) driven somewhat hard, and I felt like mounting forward took away from the ski’s strengths.

If I was looking for agility, I prefer the feel of the 182s on the line vs the 192s mounted forward. The 192 is still a big ski, and you’re in a less than optimal spot for loading it up.

But that’s just my take. I still ski in race boots and like to ski forward (though I appreciate forgiving tails). Seems like others have gotten along well with the 192s forward of recommended.

I think I’m going to grab a pair of next year’s 185s if it’s confirmed with a tape measure that they’re actually longer than the current 182.
    Thanks for your thoughts here, D(C). Sounds like mounting on the line will be the play. I was never a racer but often try to imitate the technique with a more 'trad', driving-the-tips stance, though maybe i've migrated a bit towards a neutral stance thanks to my Ripstick 116's mounted -5.35cm from center. Looking fwd to hearing your thoughts on those 185's next season!

2024-2025 M-TOUR 108

I had a few piste runs on the 24/25 M-Tour 108 today. The guys running the test were pretty busy so I didn’t get long to talk about if there are any differences in construction with this year’s skis (sounds like there are though...).

In 179 they are 135-108-125, 20m radius. I couldn’t weigh them but the rep claimed they’re around 1.35kg per ski with superlight bindings -sounds optimistic to me, especially as the 23/24 ski is 1.5kg in 179 - maybe I misunderstood. Noticeably lighter (with rental pin bindings) than my 182 K2 Baker Superlights which are around 1.99kg per ski.

Construction is apparently a hybrid core which the rep said is poplar with “basaltic laminate” (which he described as like carbon). The 23/24 ski is described as having unidirectional fibreglass laminate so perhaps this is different, might explain the lower claimed weight.

General observations:

* Where they aren't black the topsheets are pink (way more pink than the photos suggest). I thought I’d been handed a pair of women’s skis. Didn’t bother me but it is a bit unusual.
    * These skis are stiff for a lightweight touring ski. Pretty similar underfoot to my M-PRO 108 (maybe a touch softer, hardly noticeable) and definitely stiffer in the tip.
    * Shape looks a lot like and M-PRO 108, not at all like the M-Free. They’ve got similar camber and turned up tail to the M-PRO 108 but noticeably longer rocker in the tip, maybe more taper into the tail.
    * The tips are kind of wide and slightly square. Look like they could be a PITA with some skin loops.

Skiing:

* They ski short. Very easy to initiate turns. The M-PRO 108 in 182 feels longer than its length, in 179 these feel a lot shorter. I wouldn’t call them squirelly, they felt stable for their weight, but you need to stay on top of them and forward.
    * The combination of light weight and stiffness make these quite a lot of work to ski.
    * Edge grip is solid for such a light ski. I found a few patches of hard snow and they coped well.
    * They need plenty of input. I’ve got 65+ days in my legs since January and I was noticeably (and surprisingly) more tired after a few runs on these than on any other ski I’ve been on this winter (including similar lightweight touring skis which are softer). That probably wouldn't matter for the vert one covers if using them for touring but I'd not use them for lift skiing.
    * They seem pretty good at absorbing crud and not being deflected in heavy chop, especially for a ski this light.
    * I used Dalbello Lupos on them. I wouldn’t want much less of a boot for this ski. Definitely wouldn’t bother with lightweight rando boots, I don't think they'd be a good combination (and I skied for years on Sanouks with Scarpa Spirits - not a light boot but pretty noodly).
    * Snow was warm and sticky and there was a howling wind (blowing uphill) so I couldn’t get them running fast enough to comment on what they are like at proper high speeds.
    * I’ve got used to being able to slash on my M-PRO 108s. When I tried that on this I found it easy to hook a tip on the uphill ski. Not a slashy ski, and very directional.

Assumptions about them (that I couldn’t test in the conditions today):
    * They’d be a ski I’d like to have on my feet if I find myself in unexpectedly hard snow on a steep slope. They felt grippy and solid, especially for something so light.
    * Powder performance is going to be more about tip rocker and mount point than ski flex. Personally I’d probably prefer something with a softer tip in pow - but I’ve not ridden these in pow so I’m not 100% sure. If I'm reaching for a 108mm touring ski it's to ski powder, so I'd prefer them to have a more pow-orientated flex. If it's hardpack I'm taking something narrower with less friction when skinning.
    * Downside to a softer tip is that they’d be more deflected in chopped up snow - and I was genuinely impressed with how these skis handled that. Compromises, compromises.

I didn't immediately fall in love with these skis - they didn't feel particularly characterful - but I can see they'd be a good tool for lots of situations. May pick up a pair in the autumn if I can get a good price.

Name:  IMG_7714.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7715.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7716.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  188.4 KB
    M-pro 108 on left, M-tour 108 on right.

Mounted my 192 MPro108 last night with Pivot 15 and skied them this morning on real firm and quickly softening mank, slush, and corn.

Loved them in the fall line, long radius, steep, and non steep. Didn’t like them on tight, manky, shitty bumps needing short radius turns. These are the conditions that my short MFree 108s shine.

They wanted to drive, fast, and solid underfoot. No issue carving big turns. I know I will love them at Timberline.

Going to ski again tomorrow.

They are a 22m ski. Not really conducive to tight bumps