Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 131
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    If there's a time that works for you guys, I'd like to come take a look at what you've got. I'm in Wenatchee.
    Unless we’re skiing we are in the shop daily. My email is on our site. Give me a heads up of when you’re wanting to come by and we’ll try to make it work.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    That Prine 108 really perks me up. Looks like just a fun ski. Any further comment on it? Thanks
    It’s a great daily driver. Quick edge to edge, can hold a nice carve but can also release our if a turn nicely if you like throwing your skis sideways. I’d consider it one of our more playful models but with our core makeup it still has a damp feel.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Weight is good for inbounds skis!!!

    1900g/ski is WAYYY too light for me on a 110mm waist, inbounds ski. My thinnest, 92mm skis weigh 2100g/ski.

    I would love to hop onboard, but need more weight!

    Soft and heavy cores make for the best “playful charger” skis, at least IMO. I would take that any day over stiff/light.

    Not trying to knock on you, I just dont want you to forget about all the clydesdale skiers from the get go..Looking forward to buying your beefiest, baddest ski in the future! Needs to be at least 2350g/ski in a wider ski, before I even consider buying.

    Good Luck!

    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We completely agree with you on most of these points. However, I tend to lean towards medium stiff and somewhat heavy for an inbounds charger. Everyone skis differently, though. If you plan on riding chairs then weight shouldn’t be a consideration at all, in my opinion. That’s coming from someone who only skis pivot 18s on every ski I ride.

    The reason we don’t particularly like carbon in skis is precisely because that composite gives you that stiff/light dynamic that gets deflected by the slightest snow variation (and breaks easily!)...I think we are on the same page in that regard.

    And, honestly, if you’re not going on mega tours, I tend to steer folks towards our inbounds core makeup for their touring rig. That’s what I tour on and get about 25 backcountry days in a year. However, if I’m on a volcano mission I’ll lighten things up, for sure.

    Our beefiest and widest ski is our Guthrie 120 and the first iteration of that ski was super burly, fast and really badass...honestly, though, my legs couldn’t even ski them until February last winter. We’ve chilled that one out a bit by tweaking the core thickness and have found a really happy medium. However, if anyone is a bigger person, who skis strongly we can make adjustments to our flex, which correlated to our weight, to accommodate. It’s a simple email request and it’s done.

    Hope some of these thoughts help.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Those practices work well when you're dealing with a very small volume of skis, but I believe it is far more common for skis to be paired at QC based on weight, camber, rocker height/length and possibly flex.
    That sounds like a really bad way to do it but I suppose it happens. However, most presses that are worth their weight can press a pair at a time.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    These seem like obvious best practices. Surprised to hear this is not industry standard.
    I agree but sadly it’s not industry standard. We’re constantly surprised at what we see, process-wise, around the industry. I won’t say names but it’s out there and it bums us out because those weaknesses in a ski unfortunately make all indie brands look bad.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Hey all, the Lithic guys just gave me a heads up about this thread so I figured I'd better chime in. I've been skiing with them and hanging out in the shop a fair bit over the last two seasons, and I was fortunate enough to be involved in developing the Ramblin' Jack last winter. I'm putting myself out there to answer pm's and so forth from you guys about the lineup, and when I get a minute I'll put up some design philosophy about the Jacks. I'll have a pair of 181's with kingpins mounted for a 296 if you want take them for a spin at Stevens.
    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks riff for being a rad dude and supporter! Let’s shred soon.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by ARpowhound View Post
    ^my thoughts exactly. Must be good dudes; they like good music.
    We were initially inspired by anti-establishment folk scene for our naming theme. Can you guess who the Hill is named after? Also, if you’ve got any music/name suggestions along those lines we’re all ears.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    743
    Not gonna lie, I am really diggin the vibe I'm getting here, seems like there's an ongoing theme coming from these cats.... rhymes with "let's go skee"


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    crown of the continent
    Posts
    13,419
    Quote Originally Posted by peshastin_proud View Post
    We were initially inspired by anti-establishment folk scene for our naming theme. Can you guess who the Hill is named after? Also, if you’ve got any music/name suggestions along those lines we’re all ears.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If it’s the old Wobblie Joe Hill you’ve really been doing your homework.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

    Patterson Hood of the DBT's

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Squalpine
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by peshastin_proud View Post
    Listening, for sure. The Rx is cool but...well, we'll bring something to BBI that will change your mind.
    If you get flowing alpy off the RX... Well, I'm pretty sure you'll have everyone's attention

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    If it’s the old Wobblie Joe Hill you’ve really been doing your homework.
    Dude, you got it!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Not gonna lie, I am really diggin the vibe I'm getting here, seems like there's an ongoing theme coming from these cats.... rhymes with "let's go skee"


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    My feelings exactly. Communication + rad skis == win.

    The only thing I'm wondering about is how gear whoring mags will do w/ Praxis-esque prices without the crazy annual custom pre-sale discount.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    743

    Whats up with Lithic Skis?

    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    My feelings exactly. Communication + rad skis == win.

    The only thing I'm wondering about is how gear whoring mags will do w/ Praxis-esque prices without the crazy annual custom pre-sale discount.
    Crossed my mind as well, love to support these cats and try out what seems to be quite the product but with all of the amazing options Keith is doling out for half off.... yeah, gonna be tuff. But jeez, these look and sound like some great sticks from what sounds like some really good peeps for sure, that and the Guthrie and Cohen are getting me all chubbed up.
    Last edited by eskido; 11-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Big Sky
    Posts
    1,967

    Whats up with Lithic Skis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Dude these guys can rip on skis, don't get twisted up on weights. They aren't building some rando twig. A combination of weight, materials, shape, camber etc make the difference in a skis in snow feel.

    (Oh and ps, the lithic guys and I both agree that more mass to skis is better than less. We've had multiple conversations about it. In fact for their bc skis they've made them a bit heavier than they theroretically could, to improve downhill performance.)
    I dont doubt they can rip. I am just a big guy, and I like some weight to my skis, and dont wanna be left out! 1900g/ski is too light for me inbounds, for sure.. however, I will definitely grab a pair from these guys, and try them out, before I say anything else about weight. They seem legit AF, and worth a try for me.

    If Leavenworth Skier says they are legit, than that means they are Legit!!

    I feel like they are doing everything right, I just want that “beefiness” in a ski when I spend my $$. Communication is a key point, and it seems like they have that point down pact. I am just communicating my needs to them here, since I am a fatty..


    Quote Originally Posted by peshastin_proud View Post
    We completely agree with you on most of these points. However, I tend to lean towards medium stiff and somewhat heavy for an inbounds charger. Everyone skis differently, though. If you plan on riding chairs then weight shouldn’t be a consideration at all, in my opinion. That’s coming from someone who only skis pivot 18s on every ski I ride.

    The reason we don’t particularly like carbon in skis is precisely because that composite gives you that stiff/light dynamic that gets deflected by the slightest snow variation (and breaks easily!)...I think we are on the same page in that regard.

    And, honestly, if you’re not going on mega tours, I tend to steer folks towards our inbounds core makeup for their touring rig. That’s what I tour on and get about 25 backcountry days in a year. However, if I’m on a volcano mission I’ll lighten things up, for sure.

    Our beefiest and widest ski is our Guthrie 120 and the first iteration of that ski was super burly, fast and really badass...honestly, though, my legs couldn’t even ski them until February last winter. We’ve chilled that one out a bit by tweaking the core thickness and have found a really happy medium. However, if anyone is a bigger person, who skis strongly we can make adjustments to our flex, which correlated to our weight, to accommodate. It’s a simple email request and it’s done.

    Hope some of these thoughts help.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I agree, stiffer is always better for my fat ass. Heavy AND super stiff is Win/Win for me. I was skiing on my HEAD Monsters today and having a blast, just wish they were a bit “looser”. They are planks, and weigh a ton!

    I absolutely love On3p’s Bamboo and Carbon cores though, they are my favorite by far. I guess different strokes for different folks. I never found On3ps “soft” though. They are uber damp for non-metal, and “soft” enough to mess around with. Best of both worlds. They arent soft like a K2 or Line ski though.

    I dont doubt you guys can make a performance ski without bamboo/carbon though, and I look forward to trying some of your beefier sticks. If you can get a 110mm waist ski closer to 2200g/ski, I will definitely jump on board. Moment skis are super stable, and usually dont weigh as much as On3p.. closer to 2200g versus 2500g.. it’s just 1900g/ski is light!

    I promise, I wont speak any more about weight until I actually get on your specific core layup and try it on for size. Just trying to communicate here.. weight is good for inbounds!



    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The High 12 Hill
    Posts
    3,353
    You've already got your own "pro model" at ON3P. Chill out, aevergreene.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Big Sky
    Posts
    1,967

    Whats up with Lithic Skis?

    Aeverflex 4 life

    I am not trying to be a douchebag here.. I buy certain skis, and just like certain things at retail $$.

    Do you Lithic...dont listen to my Jive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 11-19-2017 at 11:49 PM.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,473
    berry, berry, intradasting...

    I'm really liking the detailed info and individual responses from the guys at Lithic.

    Can't wait to see where this goes.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    You've already got your own "pro model" at ON3P. Chill out, aevergreene.
    Lol, funny that their mocking him has actually been well received

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    32,942
    Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan;
    If you get flowing alpy off the RX... Well, I'm pretty sure you'll have everyone's attention
    word
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Big Sky
    Posts
    1,967

    Whats up with Lithic Skis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Lol, funny that their mocking him has actually been well received
    They’re all laughing at me, not with me..


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Thanks for that Leavenworth Skier...you obviously know how we ski and how we think about ski-making but your tgr-forum-language-translation is ridiculously helpful!

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    My feelings exactly. Communication + rad skis == win.

    The only thing I'm wondering about is how gear whoring mags will do w/ Praxis-esque prices without the crazy annual custom pre-sale discount.
    Yeah man, we've seen firsthand how that super-rad pricing structure/business model shakes out in the end.

    Trust me, I've been there (am there?); I've been in tough shape, financially, and can relate to wanting an incredible product for a really good price but the reality of it is simply not a sustainable model. We put the best materials into our skis so that they perform the best. We don't build inventory so that we can better honor the hardwoods we're cutting down to make play sticks that won't get sold in a fire-sale in March after a shitty weather winter. While we're certainly learning how to navigate all of these tricky dynamics, one thing we've been committed to since the beginning is making great skis without unnecessary waste and our current model is the best we've come up with.

    What we do want to do is offer some sort of mag discount code but it won't be a crazy Praxis-style discount...mostly we just want to show our appreciation and thanks. You all should come up with the discount code name.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Aeverflex 4 life

    I am not trying to be a douchebag here.. I buy certain skis, and just like certain things at retail $$.

    Do you Lithic...dont listen to my Jive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Honestly, it's great to hear feedback that's not from my wife (she's the most difficult 80-day-a-year-skier to make skis for), and other friendly homies who may not give us the most sincere feedback. We're all ears, except about making that H20 ski again...that's a tough one. Paul and I have a certain style of skis we gravitate towards and it can be difficult to break out of those boxes sometimes. However, I'm headed to Japan in January for my much-delayed honeymoon and will me making a 'skunk works' stubby pow ski for that trip that I'll keep everyone in the loop on...it's gonna be rad!

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    berry, berry, intradasting...

    I'm really liking the detailed info and individual responses from the guys at Lithic.

    Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Thanks, I'm not sure how long I can keep this pace going since tomorrow at Stevens is gonna be pow and we'll be working throughout the rainy week in the shop but I'll do my best to keep up. There will definitely be a negative correlation between snow totals and how frequently I respond to everyone. Although, genuinely, it's been incredibly gratifying to see how stoked folks are about us...thanks all!

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Not gonna lie, I am really diggin the vibe I'm getting here, seems like there's an ongoing theme coming from these cats.... rhymes with "let's go skee"


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, you're skis will be late because it's gonna be a deep winter here in the Cascades...I'm just joking, sort of. And, let's go ski! After all, that's why we're doing this in the first place...making skis, not money

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •