Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ^^ Ha! I completely forgot that the answer to "how does a toilet work?" is really "what type of toilet are we talkin' about?"
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Weaponize compassion and empathy. It's what we lack.
    /Head explodes

...Which is better than an exploding toilet.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    A few weeks ago, I was playing a round of Disc Golf at my local, ghetto surrounded park. Third tee, there were three young (13-16yo) kids sitting at the picnic table, passing a cell phone around(looking at photos I assume), talking about what kind of gun they wanted(and had)....Tec-9, Mac10; etc...I’m sure they were just interested in punching paper targets.
    Maybe they were working on a school project?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ummm, well, ya, there is. If one's stance is "ban 'em all." No room to meet somewhere in the middle. Same thing with "allow everything gun related, no restrictions period." No room to meet somewhere. Impasse. Goes for any topic. Abortion. Drugs. You name it.
    No, there isn't.

"Goes for any topic" is just whataboutism. Plus, it doesn't go for any topic. Is there a valid argument against nutrition? or physical fitness?

The commonly held notion that the truth is always somewhere in the middle is bullshit. The earth is not flat.

Every pro-gun argument is based on emotion rather than fact, and/or politics (aka bullshit), and/or some logical fallacy.

The people who want to live in a society without guns are not fanatics. They are literally the rest of the first world. We are the fanatics.

Condemned to no progress then.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    No, there isn't.

"Goes for any topic" is just whataboutism. Plus, it doesn't go for any topic. Is there a valid argument against nutrition? or physical fitness?

The commonly held notion that the truth is always somewhere in the middle is bullshit. The earth is not flat.

Every pro-gun argument is based on emotion rather than fact, and/or politics (aka bullshit), and/or some logical fallacy.

The people who want to live in a society without guns are not fanatics. They are literally the rest of the first world. We are the fanatics.
    So how about I say 'absolutists' instead of fanatics? Is that better for you?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Condemned to no progress then.
    thanx to gun people

why do we have to compromise?

the right to bear arms relates to militias not individuals. the context of militias was different in the 18th century. thanx to a right wing supreme court we have a different interpretation

your right to bear arms is not worth the price the country is paying in deaths

you know you are the kind of asshole that makes this conversation impossible. you live in a state that has the second most lax gun laws in the country and is 45th in the country for gun deaths per capita. there is no reason not to feel safe in vermont. if you do, you are idiot, and you are from your postings here and at ttips

gun issues are a socio geographic issue that is perpetuated by the way our government works. americans are pro gun control, it's idiots like you that think there is no consensus. there is

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    thanx to gun people

why do we have to compromise?

the right to bear arms relates to militias not individuals. the context of militias was different in the 18th century. thanx to a right wing supreme court we have a different interpretation

your right to bear arms is not worth the price the country is paying in deaths
    Because we are all citizens. And we don't all see eye to eye. Instead of coming together we are driven apart. How about finding common ground? Take both absolutes off the table. I think you might be surprised by quite a bit of common ground. It's not just about guns. Otherwise, continue to polarize and eventually things fall apart.

Because we are all citizens. And we don't all see eye to eye. Instead of coming together we are driven apart. How about finding common ground? Take both absolutes off the table. I think you might be surprised by quite a bit of common ground. It's not just about guns. Otherwise, continue to polarize and eventually things fall apart.
    there is common ground, there just isn't common ground in congress. wake the fuck up

when are you going to wake up to gerrymandered districts and the fact that no republican can be for gun control

you stupid fucking bernie fan boy

seriously pull your head out of your ass

there is common ground, there just isn't common ground in congress. wake the fuck up

when are you going to wake up to gerrymandered districts and the fact that no republican can be for gun control

you stupid fucking bernie fan boy

seriously pull your head out of your ass
    Heh. You don't think I realize the part that money and gerrymandering play? That's exactly what I am talking about.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

nothing is going to change until that changes, the republican party has made a deal with the devil. anybody with half a clue realizes there is a need for a gun control. represent a conservative district and try and get elected

gun control is a dead issue. it sucks. welcome to 'merica, fuck yeah

holy fuck, roy moore is going to join the senate. it is fucking mind boogling. is there really hope if a fuck stick like roy moore is going to be a senator? we are fucking doomed

Oh, and I forgot to add, the way to get Republican voters on board with changes in gun laws, and therefore Republican Representatives and Senators is to not have Senator Feinstein talking about banning everything up to and including pea shooters every chance she gets. Build some trust. She's an absolutist.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

you mean like the rest of the world? ( i know i am exagerating ) but our gun laws are insane and lack of

in a perfect society, it would be like vermont, but the fact is people suck, and for the reasons of lack of diversity and population density and culture we have no gun laws and very few gun deaths, the rest of the country is not that lucky

So how about I say 'absolutists' instead of fanatics? Is that better for you?
    I get that you're accusing me of semantics, and fair enough, but all of the middle ground has already been ceeded. Our idea of a compromise is already well beyond what every other so-called western first world nation would consider defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I get that you're accusing me of semantics, and fair enough, but all of the middle ground has already been ceeded. Our idea of a compromise is already well beyond what every other so-called western first world nation would consider defeat.
    I reject that the middle ground has been ceded. I see a lot of it. Which is what I am talking about. Folks opening their ears. Listening, really listening. Seeing the middle ground. Not being dismissive. I'm being intentionally being vague. Because I want to hear other proposals. I actually have a very clear picture of what I think things could look like that would go a very long way towards addressing a lot of what many of the opposing viewpoints want. As long as all 'sides' were willing to give up on an absolute all guns/no guns stance. However, it also requires us to get our heads out of our asses on a lot of other issues to.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

you mean like the rest of the world? ( i know i am exagerating ) but our gun laws are insane and lack of

in a perfect society, it would be like vermont, but the fact is people suck, and for the reasons of lack of diversity and population density and culture we have no gun laws and very few gun deaths, the rest of the country is not that lucky
    Yup. Which means they are proposing the Border Wall along the wrong border. JK, mostly.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromontana View Post
    Time to leave the USA yet?

I'm not there but the idea is certainly more attractive than it has been in the past.
    Maybe. Believe it or not, its easier to own a short-barreled shotgun in Canada than in the US. Go figure.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Looks like the two polar charges aren;t coming together without sparks anytime soon. Nice going guys. Labeling folks as gun nuts just because they believe in something a little different than outright bans proves my point.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

It is unfortunate that people can't discuss reasonably- but we have a forum full of people often in aggressive disbelief that another poster could like a certain pair of skis, or ski at a certain ski area

people should be well informed * and ought to be able to discuss topics without it devolving --but pollyass was also filled with consistently trolly posters, making it nearly impossible to discuss any topic without some insanity being posted for shock value. That was their goal- shock not true discussion/discourse.

To have a true discourse/ discussion there have to be some boundaries and for better or for worse lot of people believe they can say anything now and that's a big problem.
    Some people also need to realize that they agree to disagree. I'm not talking about the kooks that make shit up- but i.e. people that view an issue as black or white ie pro gun and anti-gun and particularly ones that are fairly split among americans.
    It ain't black and white nor is nearly anything else in life so recognize that and then you can start being more effective with your specific goals/ agendas.

* every person reading this should get a subscription to The Week magazine -or their digi version if you have one of those tablet thingys. it aggregates from various sources- there are several segments that discuss various viewpoints so you can see where the other side is coming from and also foreign news/viewpoints and enough fun/good news too that you don't feel drained after reading. great bathrm reading as they are all short and all members of households love some segment and learn something interesting/ good just about every wk so get it and be better informed
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    It is unfortunate that people can't discuss reasonably- but we have a forum full of people often in aggressive disbelief that another poster could like a certain pair of skis, or ski at a certain ski area

people should be well informed * and ought to be able to discuss topics without it devolving --but pollyass was also filled with consistently trolly posters, making it nearly impossible to discuss any topic without some insanity being posted for shock value. That was their goal- shock not true discussion/discourse.

To have a true discourse/ discussion there have to be some boundaries and for better or for worse lot of people believe they can say anything now and that's a big problem.
    Some people also need to realize that they agree to disagree. I'm not talking about the kooks that make shit up- but i.e. people that view an issue as black or white ie pro gun and anti-gun and particularly ones that are fairly split among americans.
    It ain't black and white nor is nearly anything else in life so recognize that and then you can start being more effective with your specific goals/ agendas.

* every person reading this should get a subscription to The Week magazine -or their digi version if you have one of those tablet thingys. it aggregates from various sources- there are several segments that discuss various viewpoints so you can see where the other side is coming from and also foreign news/viewpoints and enough fun/good news too that you don't feel drained after reading. great bathrm reading as they are all short and all members of households love some segment and learn something interesting/ good just about every wk so get it and be better informed
    Did you see this yesterday? Not sure if you're one of the people who reads quartz regularly https://qz.com/1093545/a-brown-profe...ite-supremacy/

Outrage, the newest drug? Not really.

Addiction compels you to chase a high that only makes you feel worse; it reduces you to a lesser version of yourself. And you can’t stop because deep down you don’t really want to change.

Too many Americans are controversy junkies.

Almost every day brings new evidence. The website Memeorandum.com is littered with empty baggies and syringes. Using an algorithm to survey the Internet’s motley collection of news and opinion sites, along with that inextinguishable garbage fire known as Twitter, the website offers a reasonable approximation of the buzz levels around news of the day. The result is eye-opening, though rarely edifying. On Monday — as the country was coming to grips with the massacre in Las Vegas — the hottest story for much of the day involved a social media post by a careless executive in the legal department of CBS.

The appalling and stupid post prompted her immediate firing. Completely justified. A large corporation can’t have a person who reasons at the level of an emotionally stunted second-grader handling delicate mergers and acquisitions.

I’m torn about repeating what she said, since my point is that the post didn’t deserve wide circulation. But not everyone shares the controversy addiction, so here it is: The lawyer reckoned that country music fans are mostly Republicans, so she couldn’t regret the nearly 600 people killed or wounded.

Like I said: appalling and stupid. But the larger question is how and why a heedless remark by an obscure private citizen would sweep to the top of the Memeorandum rankings. That’s where the supply side of the addiction comes in. The people who mined and published that comment at the Daily Caller and other websites weren’t appalled by it. They were delighted to find it, because they knew it would give a rush to their addicted customers. On a day when most Americans were united in shock and grief, the CBS lawyer’s impulsive idiocy allowed controversy peddlers to inject a speedball of conflict pitting country-music lovers against snobby media elites. Tens of thousands, or perhaps hundreds of thousands — maybe even a few million — conflict addicts would enjoy a brief high of righteous outrage.

And the dealers know that, rather than endure the misery of withdrawal, the junkies will return again and again for future fixes.

This is a business. An ugly business, but a lucrative one. Controversy, real or manufactured, juices ratings at cable “news” networks. It drives readers to partisan websites and listeners to talk radio. It pumps up speaker fees and inflates book advances. When Russians wanted to mess with the heads of American voters, they trafficked in hyped conflict, Facebook informed Congress this week.

No ignorant remark by a city council member or grade-school teacher concerning guns, God or gays is immune to exploitation. No hurtful graffiti scrawled by drunk teenagers is wiped away without a round of Internet hand-wringing. The oversupply of controversy is bottomless, because some human somewhere is always indulging a thoughtless blurt, and social media seduces us to publish our blurts for the world to overhear.

In better times, our leaders would model a more sober discourse. Unfortunately, President Trump is the El Chapo of addictive controversy, the kingpin of ginned-up division.

So we’re left to get ourselves sober. Switch away from the televised outrage orgies that masquerade as news. Resist the urge to get worked up about stupid stuff that knuckleheads say. Spend more time among reasonable people doing healthy things — as I had a chance to do the other day.

More than a year after its long-overdue opening, I visited the National Museum of African American History and Culture on the Mall in Washington. It was a weekday morning, but the place was packed. It always is. Visitors can waltz freely into most Smithsonian museums, but here you need a visitor pass. These are snapped up online months in advance. The average visit lasts more than six hours.

Americans — black and white, young and old — quietly immersed themselves in the deepest, most substantive reflection of the African American experience ever gathered in one place. I spent more than three hours yet barely skimmed the surface; still, I was moved to sorrow, revulsion, admiration and joy as I absorbed a history that ranges from torture and murder to Leontyne Price and Ray Charles and Oprah. There is an eloquence of artifacts, from child-sized manacles to Sammy Davis Jr.’s first pair of tiny dancing shoes, and an eloquence of words, from the rawness of early accounts of the Middle Passage to the refinement of Alain Locke.

The museum is the greatest intellectual endowment the American people have been given in many years. And the tremendous popular response gives proof of good faith. In this world of cynical distractions, thousands each day choose to focus on a deeper understanding of our past, our future and ourselves. It felt clean to join them.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.1aa3f2dcc20e

On the topic of gun control, one absolutist approach is to ban all guns.
    The other popular absolutists approach is to do nothing.

I'm not reading the banning option in the discussions, just increasing some kind of control like background checks. licensing and more SA and auto kit restrictions.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'm not reading the banning option in the discussions, just increasing some kind of control like background checks. licensing and more SA and auto kit restrictions.
    This was my reaction to riser3’s comments too

It’s part of the disconnect he brought up earlier and he falls victim to it too

Everything we know and do is mostly learned by example. If our parents give us good examples, we grow up to be good kids for the most part, as there are always a few that just need to do shit their way and learn every hard lesson (talking about myself).
    That said, look at the examples we see every day as adults. I could rant about every fucked up thing, but simply, it starts at the top with our leaders. If they can not be good examples, well then how do I expect some numb nutz on the street to be any better?
    This country has a massive failure of responsible leadership and that just trickles down into everything we touch and deal with.
    Frankly, based on said lack of leadership, I am shocked this country is not full on fucking out of control yet.
    If I was 30 years younger, I would be so outta here, but at 58, I guess I need to hang on for a few more years and hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Never claimed to be immune. The flip side is that anything short of total free for all is a ban. Neither of course is helpful. And if not stated earlier, I will fully admit I have a bias. So part of my whole point applies to me personally as well. Making myself listen.
    I see hydraulic turtles.