Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1177
    ^^ Yep totally qualified

Why all the Caroline Gleich hate?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Okay, I don't know much about this chick, but I would not call that video ripping. My wife's a solid blue square skier and rips just as good as this chick. Too lazy to google her and she if she's got some vids of her launching Chad's gap switch. Is she just someone who goes for the #skichicklifestyle clicks? I don't get it.
    Ok, maybe she’s wasn’t “ripping” A-Basin but the Upper East Wall isn’t open yet and the Steep Gullies she skied weren’t shown much on the video, but she is a ripping skier. She finished the Chuting Gallery for one.

Okay, I don't know much about this chick, but I would not call that video ripping. My wife's a solid blue square skier and rips just as good as this chick. Too lazy to google her and she if she's got some vids of her launching Chad's gap switch. Is she just someone who goes for the #skichicklifestyle clicks? I don't get it.
    I'd love to see your "solid blue square skier" wife do a couple of laps in the Steep Gullies. I'm sure patrol would love fishing her out of there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Okay, I don't know much about this chick, but I…
    am here I make a judgement.

It’s a great A-basin ad.

What makes someone a qualified candidate? Being a lifelong politician getting paid off by lobbyists? I don't know much about Caroline other than the fact that she's a skier, but she seems like a kinda normal person who wants the same things a lot of us want. I'm not in Utah, but I would rather vote for regular people - skiers, plumbers, teachers, whatever - than someone who has managed to get rich being a politician and clearly is out of touch with, or just plain doesn't give a fuck about, the majority of regular people.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Wonder how much she got paid for that promo?
    Maybe she's friendly with the new owners?

Regardless, love A-Basin! Miss that place - always great to see vids of skiing there.

And I wish more ski areas would embrace inbounds uphill. There's a place for that.
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Were questioning if a "pro" sponsored skier is actually a good skier? Last time I checked I would have to say yes. Are there non-pros out there better than some pros? Yes of course. Some market themselves better or just connect with the right people at the right time. And some great ones never wanted to be "pro", so they avoid it.

Watching Caroline ski groomers and cut up shit snow and judging her abilities based on that is what a beginner-intermediate skier would do. It's kinda the equivalent to that clown judging Georgia Ball on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    What makes someone a qualified candidate? Being a lifelong politician getting paid off by lobbyists? I don't know much about Caroline other than the fact that she's a skier, but she seems like a kinda normal person who wants the same things a lot of us want. I'm not in Utah, but I would rather vote for regular people - skiers, plumbers, teachers, whatever - than someone who has managed to get rich being a politician and clearly is out of touch with, or just plain doesn't give a fuck about, the majority of regular people.
    it’s a US national level politician. However normal they may be, they hire people in their office, and effectiveness is determined by the hires, as is policy.

Yes she's a pro skier and can rip.
    Yes that was a paid sponsorship as denoted in the video right at the top of the description. She's currently a pro athlete, so that's how she earns an income (shocking).
    Yes she is 'qualified' to run for senate, she's been an activist for many movements over her career and has a solid platform addressing several issues.

Holy shit this forum sucks sometimes. Enough "I don't know anything about..." and then spouting absolute vitriol and bullshit. If you wanna be an ignorant ass go for it but don't subject the rest of us to it. Or actually educate yourself. https://www.carolineforutah.com/issues

I would love to see more young, active government officials that actually care about environmental protections, climate change, clean energy and outdoor access instead of bureaucratic dinosaurs interested in how they can fill their pockets with oil and defense money.

She can take her skins off quicker than me. Based on some of the press I've read on current UT legislators, I'd vote for Gleich. But to be fair, based on my options here, I also voted for jamespio. Grain of salt and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    What makes someone a qualified candidate?…
    That’s an interesting question. I’d like to see a list of qualifications.

…Being a lifelong politician getting paid off by lobbyists? I don't know much about Caroline other than the fact that she's a skier, but she seems like a kinda normal person who wants the same things a lot of us want. I'm not in Utah, but I would rather vote for regular people - skiers, plumbers, teachers, whatever - than someone who has managed to get rich being a politician and clearly is out of touch with, or just plain doesn't give a fuck about, the majority of regular people.
    Seems like she’s more likely to work in the directions I’d be supporting than most Oootah politicians.

And finally, a number of really good ski mountaineers I know don’t look that great skiing in bounds.

She's skied every line in the Chuting Gallery and a bunch of 8,000 meter peaks. As a middling ski mountaineer bro, she's skied a ton of stuff I would be shitting myself on/would never even try/would never have the balls to dream about. She has also suffered more misogyny that I think any female figure in skiing that I can think of, and someone still bothers to promote her (occasionally divisive) advocacy on social. So I give her all the respect she is due.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Right, so maybe she could win the SLC metro area but still get absolutely crushed outside of that. Hey, either way it will be interesting and I respect what she’s about to put herself through. Politics is gnarly and makes social media look like a cake walk.
    Yeah, lose or not, running for office - nay, SENATE - is double black diamond gnarly. Undoubtedly is being told to eff off by most of the Utah political establishment. Takes some serious courage to stand up for your beliefs and take that level of action.

She probably doesn't have much of an immediate chance at Utah senate, but given how stale that "race" has ever been during the Romney area, now presents an opportunity to change the narrative and elevate the growing non-Mo population's concerns in the state (not to label all Mo's as bad, just what political concerns often get elevated there are pretty wild). And I doubt Utah Senate is necessarily the end game. This is often a first move into raising one's profile in politics generally and then building a brand for other opportunities down the line. I wish her the best and it's inspiring to see one of "us" who really care about the climate, outdoors, etc. having the balls to make a move like this.

Also double pole plants are lame
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

You should show your wife this post.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post

Also double pole plants are lame
    So now this is a tele skier hate thread?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Right, so maybe she could win the SLC metro area but still get absolutely crushed outside of that. Hey, either way it will be interesting and I respect what she’s about to put herself through. Politics is gnarly and makes social media look like a cake walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I saw plenty of ripping tele skiers at the Loaf the other weekend who survived on one pole plant alone... these haters need to catch up!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Cool to see Caroline ripping A-Basin! https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3WGy...Jvd2VpcGl4Ng==
    She's a fine skier. The more important matter at hand is if she's going to be representing A-Basin how well does she pound down a big ole bag of dicks?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The kooks with the broken binders?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    She's a fine skier. The more important matter at hand is if she's going to be representing A-Basin how well does she pound down a big ole bag of dicks?
    well played and nice reference that seems misogynistic -- and hence very fitting in this thread -- while not being misogynistic at all.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    well played and nice reference that seems misogynistic -- and hence very fitting in this thread -- while not being misogynistic at all.
    Haha! Thanks for noticing. I honestly paused for a moment before hitting post on that one wondering if this could be taken as too far .
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Haha! Thanks for noticing. I honestly paused for a moment before hitting post on that one wondering if this could be taken as too far .
    Out of context, too far.

With appropriate context, maybe not far enough.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

if her senate candidacy is legitimate, then it'll by far eclipse any of the pro whatever/activist titles she has given herself (or earned for those that are fans) and maybe might actually result in something concrete other than just "raising awareness" and self promotion.

i mostly find her annoying because of the relentless self promotion and her constantly reminding us that she is a "pro skier"....
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Is it legitimate? Why is that even a question?

It looks like currently 3 dem candidates are running so far. One of them perennial, another author type dude, and her.

She said in a post she was asked to run but then didn't respond when I asked her who asked her on threads (understandable, I don't live in Utardia). Does anybody here know who asked her? Edit...15:30 Dem election board asked her.

Last edited by uglymoney; 02-29-2024 at 02:36 PM.

I definitely respect her skiing and her advocacy, but for some reason, she just comes off unlikeable. It has nothing to do with being a female. I can’t stand preachy skiers who yell and scold everyone for their horrible, awful lifestyles but travel the world skiing all year and have a carbon footprint larger than any of us could ever make. It’s just so irritating to hear about year after year. Is she really, truly cared, she’d stay in Utah and ski and make a living there. I cannot imagine she’ll connect with anyone outside of the SLC ski/snowboard bubble in Utah for these reasons alone, but I wish her the best.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Is it legitimate? Why is that even a question?

It's a fair question. Anybody can declare themselves a candidate and maybe campaign a little - I think it's a matter of paperwork (but could be mistaken). It's a whole different story to actually want to govern.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    It's a whole different story to actually want to govern.
    You just disqualified most of the 100 sitting senators and at least 218 members of the House.