Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    So ss--what are you doing about the problem, besides not having an opinion and ranting about people who do?
    And BTW refering to black people as POC is racist. Spell it out. And after you do tell me why "people of color" is ok but "colored people" isn't. other than the fact that it's more precious.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So ss--what are you doing about the problem, besides not having an opinion and ranting about people who do?
    And BTW refering to black people as POC is racist. Spell it out. And after you do tell me why "people of color" is ok but "colored people" isn't. other than the fact that it's more precious.
    I try my best to be an ally. Sometimes I fail, but I try.

I'm sure you know how to Google, so I will assume you can answer your own question rather easily, if you actually care.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    I'm not black, so, no I do not have an opinion on whether a black person overreacted to something that may have been racist symbolism.

You're a smart guy Wooley and I look forward to seeing you up on the slopes this year.
    So you are a RWM that skis with silver hair showing while rocking a Spyder jacket and would deem yourself qualified to discuss my bias from your perspective? Cool.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Did your parents beat you a lot?
    Apparently they did not beat him enough.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    So tell me Mr. "I am the model of empathy and understanding" - do you feel empathy for women for the years they have endured hardships, sexism, cruelty and abuse by men? Will you sit and listen patiently when one tells you that the mere thought of the President of the United States gives her panic attacks after hearing him talk about grabbing pussy? Then when she is done telling you will you wipe away her tears, put your arm around her and apologize for all men everywhere never once thinking she's being overly dramatic? Will you take up a fight for all women, march and carry placards? Will you tell others they must understand how hard it is to be a woman and to shut up listen when it comes to their worries and concerns because as men you continue to benefit from unfair advantages? Will you give up part of your salary so that a woman can be paid equally to you and other men? Will you fight for women to be admitted to every group and organization that men belong to?
    Is this hypothetical woman hot?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    He is the whitest of knights.
    Lol. You've been on fire lately.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Never made it to Panama or returned via the 50th, the shtick has not improved.
    Excellent internet detective work.

I try my best to be an ally. .
    what does that mean? besides telling other white people that they're racists.

oh man, I've been actively avoiding this thread because it is going exactly as one would expect

The only thing I have to add is: I would imagine that the stakes are higher for black students in Mississippi as opposed to yuppies in Berkeley/Middlebury/etc. To conflate the two seems like inappropriate conclusions would be drawn. It is understandable that a black student has a greater sensitivity in light of recent events; UMD, College Park this past May would serve as another shining example. To say that there are much greater concerns in life is a bullshit response, immediate physical safety is high on the list for anyone. These events don't take place in a vacuum.

It also says loads about the administration at this event that they were unable to facilitate a meaningful and constructive conversation. It is their job to bring together students of various backgrounds and viewpoints. If they were unable to do so then they failed.

Ultimately, you old fucks do need to recognize that it is not your place to decide what is offensive to any other collective aside from yourselves. If a group of black students decides that a banana in a tree is offensive, then it is.
    Last edited by ghosthop; 09-05-2017 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    oh man, I've been actively avoiding this thread because it is going exactly as one would expect

The only thing I have to add is: I would imagine that the stakes are higher for black students in Mississippi as opposed to yuppies in Berkeley/Middlebury/etc. To conflate the two seems like inappropriate conclusions would be drawn. It is understandable that a black student has a greater sensitivity in light of recent events; UMD, College Park this past May would serve as another shining example. To say that there are much greater concerns in life is a bullshit response, immediate physical safety is high on the list for anyone. These events don't take place in a vacuum.

It also says loads about the administration at this event that they were unable to facilitate a meaningful and constructive conversation. It is their job to bring together students of various backgrounds and viewpoints. If they were unable to do so then they failed.

Ultimately, you old fucks do need to recognize that it is not your place to decide what is offensive to any other collective aside from yourselves. If a group of black students decides that a banana in a tree is offensive, then it is.
    Usually I would agree with you--the classic response of someone who makes a racist, sexist, or anti-Semitic remark to someone who takes offense is to tell the offendee they're being too sensitive, but sometimes they are. I'm Jewish. I was eating dinner at a group table at the Peruvian when my Jewish cousin took offense at something another guest said that he thought was anti-Semitic and angrily stormed off. I still can't figure out what was offensive about the remark. What is and is not offensive is something that has to be negotiated by a society and there has to be some degree of reasonableness. Somewhere along the line someone decided that the word "Jew" was offensive and should be replaced by "Jewish person" but no one asked me about it. Nowadays every group changes its name every few years when it decides that the last name had become offensive--hence "colored people" is offensive but "people of color" is not. I'm sure an academician can write a book analyzing the difference but most people are not academicians and find the distinction absurd--in fact an awful lot of what has come to be regarded as offensive seems to come from the more esoteric reaches of academia. So yes--everybody gets to decide what is offensive to them--up to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    So yes--everybody gets to decide what is offensive to them--up to a point.
    I think everyone gets to decide what is offensive to them and the rest of us get to judge that person based on this behavior.

I'm not black, so, no I do not have an opinion on whether a black person overreacted to something that may have been racist symbolism.

You're a smart guy Wooley and I look forward to seeing you up on the slopes this year.
    Are you suggesting that by being black, a person would have an opinion regarding the banana incident, but if they are white, they are not entitled to an opinion?

Not every black person knows or understands every other black person. Not every white person is oblivious. It actually depends much more on how and where you grew up and much less about the color of your skin.

And I think a bunch of you are using the word "empathy" instead of "sympathy"

Empathic feel others emotions. When the subject is sad, the empathic feels said. Having sympathy is understanding their point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think everyone gets to decide what is offensive to them and the rest of us get to judge that person based on this behavior.
    I think SS would tell you that you don't get to judge that person in this case because then you're trivializing their feelings and perpetuating the cycle of oppression or something like that.

I would argue that if we have to accept every level of offense as equally valid it's perpetuating a cycle of victimhood.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    better chance to see him in the parking lot
    I'm as good as I once was........ once. Perhaps the silver one is a Golfer and will invite me to his country club. Or we could play 9 at the TCGC&CS.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I've noticed hurricanes have very white sounding names. Will there ever be a Hurricane LeVonte, Shaniqua, etc.?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Hurricane Muhammad would be tits.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Seeing how these hurricanes in the south wreck mostly black people's lives, they should give them really white names. It would make the most sense.

Hurricane Dwayne would be a good one.

Hurricane Jim-Bob.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

What about tornadoes that wreck trailer parks? Supercell Hilary would seem apropos.

Hurricane George W.

This fucking banana peel thread. Fuck.

Well, I'm not gonna fall for the banna peel in the tree trick.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post

But you fell for the "hide the salami" trick every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    This fucking banana peel thread. Fuck.

A blonde is walking down the sidewalk and sees a banana peel on the ground 10 ft in front of her.

She says "Oh no, not again"

Well, I learned something today. I had no idea that a banana in a tree was potentially racist. I've hucked many a peel into the woods and from time to time they get hung up in a tree.