Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    remember when we all had ccm bikes and we just smashed them into things and then left them out in the rain and there were never any problems.

man, the times.
    new stuff is bomber compared to the old, fact. My carbon bullmoose bars are next level. My carbon Ibis rims are bomber. 100 plus hours, not even a slight wiggle.

I am on 3 seasons, same set up, almost no issues except filling the tires after the winter.....and Ill need a new chain this year.

I just don't understand the industry lameness with wheel size.

29" wheel needs more evolution of design....quting after a few years because some short dudes complained is stupid.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    new stuff is bomber compared to the old, fact.
    Agree re most stuff (e.g., BBs, headsets, hubs), although not all new stuff is more bomber than old stuff. Modern design chains don't last nearly as long as high quality chains (e.g., Sedis, Regina) did 35 years ago. OTOH, modern cassette cogs are much more durable than the best freewheel cogs 35 years ago. Wheel durability is more about the wheel builder than anything else (assuming a good stiff rim and adequate spoke count for the rider/intended use).

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    Modern design chains don't last nearly as long as high quality chains (e.g., Sedis, Regina) did 35 years ago.
    I would add that modern chains have requirements relative to drive trail evolution that their predecessors did not.
    Just off the top of my head, narrower to accommodate over double the number of gears on a cluster, and able to flex relative to the broad chain line required for modern 1x systems.

Modern chain life reduced mostly due to move from separate hard roller bushings to integrated side plate/bushing design and, to a lesser extent, smaller bearing surfaces (narrower chain). And, yeah, both design changes were necessary to accommodate more rear cogs.

I've got four 10 speed dura-ace chains in random rotation on various bikes for several years now, every time I take them off, degrease and wear check them (hanging and steel tape measure), I get no measureable wear. They work fine on new cassettes and chainrings too. Granted, I don't ride as much as some people, but they were tested to be one of the longest wearing chains ever made. Too bad they are out of production.