Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Praxis Rx

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    steeze
    My butter comment wasnt supposed to imply any jib or steeze. I have none.

It just so happens that I have another pair of UL 106 RX for touring, and they will see a lot of powder (next northern winter) so I'll base any pivot and speed dump opinions on those.

Good early season base in parts of NZ.
    Last edited by neck beard; 07-07-2017 at 03:49 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Been skiing the 106 RX in NZ. Am I the first? ...
    Hats off to having the confidence to vote with your wallet on a skinny Rx. I pondered a skinny-Q, but didn't have the nerve to pull the trigger and went standard width.

Great position in the photo, too!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Would be interesting if Praxis offered a metal and rubber layup option in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Hats off to having the confidence to vote with your wallet on a skinny Rx.
    Great position in the photo, too!

... Thom
    Not a very hard choice 106 RX dimensions look like a pretty fool proof ski, something Volkl might have come out with in the past within their Mantra-Katana range.

I bought two pairs. Big thanks and reciprocal support to Praxis for crafting my skis fast enough for the start of my NZ season. I already near core-shotted one! Makes me happy to put skis to use.

I got one 'heavy' mounted alpine for backcountry mechanical access. The other UL for backcountry human powered access, mounted tech. Neither are for freeride givin'er skiing or deep pow. I have numerous themes of skiing in my life. Different skis for different themes. Selling my BC's after a long time.

Here's the view from my street, sheep and all. Big storm coming to NZ next week. Enjoy your summer.
    Life is not lift served.

Man, I hear a pair of enduro+carbon core skinny RX calling my name. But I agree with the others—seems like 1-2 mm camber would be perfect. Wonder if Keith would ever consider dropping the camber a bit? neck beard, please I'll be curious how you like the UL pair.

I would love to do a comparison of the 185 Zero G 108 and the 184 UL RX 106.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

You guys are describing a custom Wren 114, with the tour core. Idk if On3p is still making any (maybe once/year), but my custom Wrens are basically flat underfoot. There is .5mm - .75mm camber, max. They are guns, but they get loose when you need them too, maybe a lil more so than the Viciks did, although these are much burlier than Viciks.. they slay the 3d pow pow too, not one-trick ponies.

I think they are making a run of a semi-custom wider Wren this year, idk what size though. Hopefully they keep the camber underfoot to a minimum. Its almost like a slightly cambered Katana honestly, and as much as I love the BG shape, I think these custom fat wrens are my favorite shape from On3p.

Back to the Rx, I really like the contrasting look of the rocker/camber profile on my regular Rx, for a daily driver here in Big Sky. Lots of grip for windpack, yet when you de-camber them there is a ton of tip rocker. My fat ass should de-camber these nicely, so we'll so how they work in pow compared to the thinner Wrens.

It looks like the Quixotes have quite a bit of camber as well. My skinny Qs will be sweet for semi-firm crud.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    neck beard, please I'll be curious how you like the UL pair.
    Without even skiing them: I don't like very light skis anymore in anything but consistent snow, pref powder. But that is the price you have to pay for light touring skis if you decided to go that path. And before anyone protests, I dont care what construction a light skis has, they all ski like light skis, some a little better than others, and possibly some have better torsional properties when needed at very high speed or on steep and firm. But all light skis ski like light skis when compared to damp heavier skis.
    Life is not lift served.

Would be interesting if Praxis offered a metal and rubber layup option in the future.

Not a very hard choice 106 RX dimensions look like a pretty fool proof ski, something Volkl might have come out with in the past within their Mantra-Katana range.

I bought two pairs. Big thanks and reciprocal support to Praxis for crafting my skis fast enough for the start of my NZ season. I already near core-shotted one! Makes me happy to put skis to use.

I got one 'heavy' mounted alpine for backcountry mechanical access. The other UL for backcountry human powered access, mounted tech. Neither are for freeride givin'er skiing or deep pow. I have numerous themes of skiing in my life. Different skis for different themes. Selling my BC's after a long time.

Here's the view from my street, sheep and all. Big storm coming to NZ next week. Enjoy your summer.
    Believe it or not, I'd never skied Volkls until I mounted a pair of Nanuqs this Spring. From your comments, along with the Nanuq being based on the early (pre-full rocker) Mantra, I could see having a lot of fun with a skinny Rx. It's likely the ski I was looking for when I went off the rails last year with a Freeride (for inbounds - too stiff of a tail when I wandered into bump fields).

Edit: and then, you and auvgeek come up with the idea of a UL, skinny Rx as an alternative to a Zero-G 108. Jeez! So much goodness out there.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-07-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Galibier Design

Without even skiing them: I don't like very light skis anymore in anything but consistent snow, pref powder. But that is the price you have to pay for light touring skis if you decided to go that path. And before anyone protests, I dont care what construction a light skis has, they all ski like light skis, some a little better than others, and possibly some have better torsional properties when needed at very high speed or on steep and firm. But all light skis ski like light skis when compared to damp heavier skis.
    Ugh. Typed my response to fast while mid-editing it. I meant after you skied them. I accidentally combined "please report back after you ski them" and with "I'd be curious how you like them after you ski them."

Yes, I agree with what you said about light skis. I'm thinking I might actually try the enduro + carbon layup instead of the UL.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 07-08-2017 at 12:22 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Believe it or not, I'd never skied Volkls until I mounted a pair of Nanuqs this Spring. From your comments, along with the Nanuq being based on the early (pre-full rocker) Mantra, I could see having a lot of fun with a skinny Rx. It's likely the ski I was looking for when I went off the rails last year with a Freeride (for inbounds - too stiff of a tail when I wandered into bump fields.
    Before I went to 115, then 125mm waisted rockered skis, the 2010 full rocker volkl gotama in a 194 was the best ever feeling backcountry specific ski i've ever put ski boots to...the 184's tips hooked but the 194s were magic for me at 5'9" and 170 pounds... But, way too heavy for touring, which i do 98% of the time, but for heli skiing oh man, best ever. Stable, floaty, pivoty, damp, predictable and railed some good carvy groomers when situations demanded.

...and for those commenting on desiring skis with less camber...don't know about you but i've modified a few pairs of skis by adding tip rocker or lessening underfoot camber by either manually bending or storing with tip and tail blocks under tips and tails to change camber dimensions....in the inverse, just like old school full wood skis where you had to store skis with straps on the tips and tails with a block under the midfoot to keep the camber consistent due to moisture in the wood exacerbating the camber if left to their own devices.
    Last edited by swissiphic; 07-07-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Just pulled the trigger on some 184 Freerides, 4 flex, maple/ash core with carbon and a veneer top sheet. Got 1/2 off.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

and then, you and auvgeek come up with the idea of a UL, skinny Rx as an alternative to a Zero-G 108. Jeez! So much goodness out there.
    You should try to jump on my 0G 108s sometime next season. The only reason I'm even considering the RX is because the mount point is much farther forward, and I like progressive mounts for some silly reason. Guess I hope it'll help me discover my inner skittle-kid. If you do fine with traditional mounts (like the Freeride), then you may love the 0G.

Too bad the 0G 108 isn't being blown out this summer like it was last summer. If I'm gonna shell out 8 bills, might as well get Praxis or ON3P durability and quality.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You should try to jump on my 0G 108s sometime next season. The only reason I'm even considering the RX is because the mount point is much farther forward, and I like progressive mounts for some silly reason. Guess I hope it'll help me discover my inner skittle-kid. If you do fine with traditional mounts (like the Freeride), then you may love the 0G.

Too bad the 0G 108 isn't being blown out this summer like it was last summer. If I'm gonna shell out 8 bills, might as well get Praxis or ON3P durability and quality.
    That would be fun! Agreed, that if the skis aren't at blow-out prices, Praxis and ON3P are the way to go. Seems to be where I find myself in Springtime ;-)

On a side note, I got one day on the re-mount (for touring) of my GPO's (182, MAP/Carbon, flex #4, nylon top). I had to move them back from -1 to about -1.8 due to hole conflicts. I'm having trouble lusting after another touring ski at the moment (in conjunction with a pair of Nanuqs). I suppose that's a good thing ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Before I went to 115, then 125mm waisted rockered skis, the 2010 full rocker volkl gotama in a 194 was the best ever feeling backcountry specific ski i've ever put ski boots to...the 184's tips hooked but the 194s were magic for me at 5'9" and 170 pounds... But, way too heavy for touring, which i do 98% of the time, but for heli skiing oh man, best ever. Stable, floaty, pivoty, damp, predictable and railed some good carvy groomers when situations demanded.

...and for those commenting on desiring skis with less camber...don't know about you but i've modified a few pairs of skis by adding tip rocker or lessening underfoot camber by either manually bending or storing with tip and tail blocks under tips and tails to change camber dimensions....in the inverse, just like old school full wood skis where you had to store skis with straps on the tips and tails with a block under the midfoot to keep the camber consistent due to moisture in the wood exacerbating the camber if left to their own devices.
    It's fascinating that the wood core's deformation would dominate the laminations and sidewalls. Of course, we've all seen enough bent skis with metal layers.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

First time skiing powder on my shorter-than-normal 'n narrow 106 RX today. Mountain powder, not storm tree pow blower. Head-high (short) narrow-ish skis always feel like short narrow skis, but that aside, the lack of carvey side cut was good, which was my main RX attraction. Given the snow today I'd have preferred 116RX, same length, same side cut, less camber.

Was good to get some snow up the nose.

Previous question about pivoty character: some, but not heaps.

Funky cloud.
    Life is not lift served.

Praxis Rx
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    Lithic shit make you feel a lil dirty?
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Ofishal ski of BBI
    make every day count

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Lithic shit make you feel a lil dirty?
    Well fortunately my undies are clean and my current
    contract with Praxis expires at the end of the season.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Great skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone skied both the heavy core and enduro core Rx?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How does the RX compare to the GPO and Quixote? Trade option for a pair of these is tempting...

gpo seems lil more *squirrly*
    quixotes are too much mental
    Rx is the for the everyday ski
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

got few days on the 184 4flex and i like it. these will be the aeverday ski. the 189 ul 4 flex for powder or tour on days. the OG 189 beefys with 800 days on em get ofishial rock ski status.
    monster detune of the tips and gummied the tails
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

OP,
    imo everyone deserves a second chance, c’ept for bonespurs.
    so i’m gonna bump this important thread for all that’s good.
    much important information pertinent to the gear/toys we like, has been contributed into these threads. don’t delete these peoples gracious contributions to this community, your anger is misplaced.
    go out and ski
    Praxis Rx
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

got 7 days on the 184 enduro 4flex and notice a big difference in swing weight. they ski nice and have most of the characteristics of the 189. much quicker in the bumps but not as stable in weird pow, less ski up front than the 189 that i need to get used to. skiing em balanced still feels the same, once i get used to the quicker swing, they’ll be nice. these will be fun to tour on and mounting with the Tecton will allow me to ski it everyday.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	263564
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous