Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Nobodies trying to defame(is that a word?) anyone. I think it's just general killing time shit talk
    Yeah, right. Time killing shit talk as long as one agrees with how far one may go in an "insult," and who/which should be suitably disparaged by the "insult." As long as one has a trust fund insulation from needing income, who gives a fuck, eh? We're all trustafari floating along on magic carpets bought by our rich relatives, right?

Let's ask --------. He insults everyone 24/7/365, but if you call him a trustafarian genie on a magic carpet, he explodes with anger and goes well overboard on the insinuations, accusations and supposedly mild, harmless "insults" that can render one unemployable.

Let's ask -------------. Because lord knows, that little fucker doesn't need income with his fat endowments and annuities bought by Memaw and Papaw back in the FL synagogue.

Also, if you think defamation no longer exists "because Internet," I think you need to stop taking US Constitutional Law Interpretation from Professor Glenn Greenwald, who is a disbarred NY attorney caught illegally recording conversations from his law office phone.

Gosh, bet you didn't know that about SuperGlenn!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    whatever
    Got me there. No clue. Blissfully ignorant has its perks I guess. I just figure there's only 20 or 30 regular posters that bounce from bs to bs then forget a lot of it then repost same or similar bs next year. A bunch of occasional lurkers that skim a couple things and may retain one quote or bit of info but more than likely forget it all in a week. Always a job to be found but work is overrated. More than one bike or one pair of skis is a want not a need. Lots o trusty's around here. Almost split 50/50 with teh hillbillys. Erry buddeh funneh. Go ride. 2bliss

Don't feed the trolls.

So, I patched the crack/slit and put 4oz of Stan's in. It held....until the other old tear started blowing out again when I aired it up high. Tried a patch, but it didn't take. Probably didn't bond.
    I really don't want to go with heavier tires, since I need all the help I can get going up.
    Might try the patch again. 35psi with a tube sucked. Well, 2200 feet of kinda loose fire road would suck anyway, but yeah.
    If patch/tape/more Stan's doesn't work, I maybe keep the tube for a little until I get sick of it.
    Then I should probably go make some more money and buy a new tire. (Maybe Maxxis, idk).

I know. Total JONG shit, but this is the first time I've ever had tubeless trouble (only run tubeless about 2 years or 3 years)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I love how Maggots think stuckie the normal person and me the sociopath

TGR getting it exactly wrong, once again: diametrically, 180deg opposite kinds of Wrong!

there's no need to sabotage Alexstuckinsidehisonlineidentity's bike, because Alex never rides his bike for more than 10-15 minutes.

pretty sad when your biggest count of "friends" is the people who tolerate your BS on TGR Forums, and in meatspace nobody likes you.

but that's Alex for ya.
    You know who never has to say 'I'm not a sociopath, I'm a normal person'? Normal people, that's who.

Now you're threatening to sue TGR and Woo? Good luck with that. Get a grip man.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 06-23-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

So, people around here often already know my first name, but wtf.
    And this is like tge 3rd time he's done that, so now I'm askig for a (temporary) ban.

So, where the first tear was, it looks lile the air pressure anctually blew through the patch. (Hardware store one). I feel like the tear is within the .25" that Stan's says it's supposed to seal, but I didn't measure it. .25" is pretty small.
    Added some vulcanizer and Gorilla Tape (I know, but I was told it works) and hit it up with the compressor. Maybe it's best to let the latex work into it before amping up the pressure?
    Next stop, tube town!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    You know who never has to say 'I'm not a sociopath, I'm a normal person'? Normal people, that' who.

Now you're threatening to sue TGR and Woo? Good luck with that. Get a grip man.
    Crazy insult man be comin' fo mah imaginary trust fund! Oh noes!

Y'all quit quoting that fool. I've been enjoying some peace and quiet.

If anyone has a legitimate gripe with me over something that affects real life, that PM button works just fine last time I checked.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

So, people around here often already know my first name, but wtf.
    And this is like tge 3rd time he's done that, so now I'm askig for a (temporary) ban.

So, where the first tear was, it looks lile the air pressure anctually blew through the patch. (Hardware store one). I feel like the tear is within the .25" that Stan's says it's supposed to seal, but I didn't measure it. .25" is pretty small.
    Added some vulcanizer and Gorilla Tape (I know, but I was told it works) and hit it up with the compressor. Maybe it's best to let the latex work into it before amping up the pressure?
    Next stop, tube town!
    Did you use crazy glue? Here in town at the dollar store they have little tubes for $1 . Ezpz. You can cut a square out of an old tube to glue over the patch as well. Tube glue isn't near as strong or long lasting. Dry the area of the tire out good first

That gnarly (real) rubber cement at the craft store works better.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That gnarly (real) rubber cement at the craft store works better.
    They're probably both a buck. Do one rip with each and report back

the fumes alone on the stuff I'm talking about are at least a 5 dollar high

Most super/crazy glue gets brittle. Does that stuff really work on tires? I'd think it breaks off.

Hahahaha holy shit!

Straight gauge spokes make for heavy build and shitty ride. Less resilient wheel too, you want the compliance that butted spokes provide. Also straight gauge pop nipples more.
    I havent built light wheels in a really long time. I'm remember snapping double butted spokes. I don't break a lot of things but that could've been user error. Improper tension or bad batch of spokes or something. Since the mid 90's my wheels were built with abuse in mind. Brass nipples have been fine. Might be time to build some with db's for the new xc(to me) type whip. I don't think I want a carbon frame so I'll look to save little bits of weight a few other places

the fumes alone on the stuff I'm talking about are at least a 5 dollar high

Most super/crazy glue gets brittle. Does that stuff really work on tires? I'd think it breaks off.
    I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue.
    No longer stuck.

Straight gauge spokes make for heavy build and shitty ride. Less resilient wheel too, you want the compliance that butted spokes provide. Also straight gauge pop nipples more.

Whoa, missed this until grinch quoted it.

Don't be dissin on no straight gauge spokes. You're not wrong about the compliance stuff but that also allows rim deformation to the point of bending them and getting all warpy.

Straight guage spokes build stiffer wheels for sure. but that is hardly a bad thing, especially when you're talking about aluminum rims. And I've never broken a nipple in the 30ish+ or so dh, trailbike and dirtjump wheels I've built with with sg spokes. It's not a no no, it's a performance option. If you want stiff aluminum wheels, build them with straight gauge spokes. Not everyone wants extra lateral suspension. Those nipple rips on the enve's I posted were db spokes btw. But I don't know what the fuck that was. I've never seen anything like that.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-23-2017 at 11:51 PM.

I'm thinking of butted spokes as so 15 yrs ago, a time of the super light xc hardtails with the super narrow flat bars, titanium fasteners

of course you had to shave your legs to ride one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm thinking of butted spokes as so 15 yrs ago
    You might, but about 95% of high end trail bike wheels are built with them. They're definitely lighter.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-23-2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm thinking of butted spokes as so 15 yrs ago, a time of the super light xc hardtails with the super narrow flat bars, titanium fasteners

of course you had to shave your legs to ride one
    Haa, whenever we think we know it all, someone should just remind us of our set ups then. Ultimate burn

Between gobs of suspension travel, wide stiff rims and high volume tires I can't imagine that anyone could even feel the diminished ride quality of a stiff wheel built with straight gauge spokes. That and, stiffer wheels are better wheels.

Those nipple rips on the enve's I posted were db spokes btw. But I don't know what the fuck that was. I've never seen anything like that.
    .......... did you ever ask Enve?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Between gobs of suspension travel, wide stiff rims and high volume tires I can't imagine that anyone could even feel the diminished ride quality of a stiff wheel built with straight gauge spokes. That and, stiffer wheels are better wheels.
    I dont know shit, but im guessing that an lb or 2 of air pressure would make more of a difference? And the quality/accuracy of air gauges is questionable also.

I know skis much better and I tweaked every edge angle, grind structure, and wax for years and it never made a difference really. I would just adjust my turn to suit the ski. Of course I'm not Bode, I'm a freeskier.

Point being, unless you're a world class rider I don't see how any of these little nuances could possibly make a difference.

And...allergy season sucks and what's so bad about a trust fund anyway...i wouldn't mind one

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Nah I've been on the road the last two weeks and haven't had time. I just noticed this last week. I'm guessing they have a revised nipple design by now.

I havent built light wheels in a really long time. I'm remember snapping double butted spokes. I don't break a lot of things but that could've been user error. Improper tension or bad batch of spokes or something. Since the mid 90's my wheels were built with abuse in mind. Brass nipples have been fine. Might be time to build some with db's for the new xc(to me) type whip. I don't think I want a carbon frame so I'll look to save little bits of weight a few other places
    Whoa, missed this until grinch quoted it.

Don't be dissin on no straight gauge spokes. You're not wrong about the compliance stuff but that also allows rim deformation to the point of bending them and getting all warpy.

Straight guage spokes build stiffer wheels for sure. but that is hardly a bad thing, especially when you're talking about aluminum rims. And I've never broken a nipple in the 30ish+ or so dh, trailbike and dirtjump wheels I've built with with sg spokes. It's not a no no, it's a performance option. If you want stiff aluminum wheels, build them with straight gauge spokes. Not everyone wants extra lateral suspension. Those nipple rips on the enve's I posted were db spokes btw. But I don't know what the fuck that was. I've never seen anything like that.
    This is all true, maybe it's personal preference. My understanding has always been that some compliance is a good thing for durability. I also definitely felt the difference in a harsh ride. Granted that was on an aluminum hardtail. As for aluminum rims deforming to excessive flex, yeah, definitely can see that. For better or worse, I'm an carbon almost exclusively now and they don't go out of true no matter what in my experience. In terms of weight between butted vs. straight, it's not a lot but, obviously, it's the most important weight to save or add. Also, yeah, brass nipples FTW. Aluminum just aren't worth it. I'm definitely concerned about wheel weight but in my world, durability is more important too. Seems like around 1800 grams is as light as I can go on my daily ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I was curious too, that's some crazy shit.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I was curious too, that's some crazy shit.

Update on my nipples: I went back and looked at a bag of newer nipples I got from enve last year. They're different. So just in the off chance that anyone has a pair of these, if your nipples look like the ones in my pic, they've been replaced by something that looks like this:

https://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/102963-1.jpg

self-destruct model:
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...g?v=1455830239

You might, but about 95% of high end trail bike wheels are built with them. They're definitely lighter.
    My new Yeti 5.5 doesnt have butted spokes my cannondale doesn't have butted spokes, the last bike I seen/worked on with double butted spokes was a custom built NRS I owned 15 yrs ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tubeless flat on trail

Can't recommend the EX 471. I've had more flats with this rim than anything else I've run, including 819s. They crack, chip and ultimately die, but I have virtually no dings.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Really? I just got a wheelset built up with those and have been pretty impressed so far. No flats but I'm running pretty good pressure on a bigger tire.

tube flats or tubeless tire flats? Don't make me sad. I'm enjoying the new toys.