Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1129
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Has anyone watched Deadloch? Wife and I watched the first two episodes and I'm not quite sure whether to keep at it. So far its has its funny moments, but it's a bit on the frenetic side.
    That's a great series - IIRC it got more enjoyable the further in you got. Frenetic is a pretty good description, though.

We liked it enough to hope they do a 2nd season.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Has anyone watched Deadloch? Wife and I watched the first two episodes and I'm not quite sure whether to keep at it. So far its has its funny moments, but it's a bit on the frenetic side.
    Loved it

Pissed myself

WAR
    Okay, so I am cutting this film a bit of slack due to exotic bias, but despite it’s dopey dialogue, over-the-top jingoism, and borrowing heavily from John Woo’s American oeuvre (specifically Face/Off and M:I2), along with the Bond entry Die Another Day, as well as Hong Kong martial arts films of the 1990s, this film is a hoot. It also feels like a throwback to the cheesy Arnold/Sly/JCVD films of my youth.
    The action sequences, specifically the fight scenes, are nicely choreographed and slickly paced. Oh, and the requisite item number is pretty kinetic; I am still in awe at how Bollywood production just stick an elaborate song-and-dance video smack dab in the middle of an action film. It’s bonkers.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

There's only one item number??!!?? Bollywood isn't what it used to be.

I recently tried to watch Jawaan - while trying very hard to be a scathing criticism of several elements of current Indian society, the silliness was too much for me - bailed at the the ladies prison item number.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    There's only one item number??!!?? Bollywood isn't what it used to be.

I recently tried to watch Jawaan - while trying very hard to be a scathing criticism of several elements of current Indian society, the silliness was too much for me - bailed at the the ladies prison item number.

I was kinda surprised that there wasn’t an end credit item number in War.

That said, I have watched all four films in the YRF Spy Universe series— a fifth, Tiger 3 just got released in theaters this weekend—and this is the best of the bunch. It has the most insanely eye catching and over-the-top item number I’ve seen to date (granted my experience with this genre is pretty limited; I have seen roughly 8 films, one of which was a Tollywood production).

After watching this flick, which totally apes the M:I films, all I can think about is how cool it would be if Tom Cruise broke out in dance in the middle of one of his Ethan Hunt escapades…

Hmmmm .....
    He'd have to show some better moves than in Tropic Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hmmmm .....
    He'd have to show some better moves than in Tropic Thunder.

ASTEROID CITY
    I was kinda starting to feel like I might be Wes Andersoned out, what with The French Dispatch only a mere 2 years in the past, plus the recent deluge of AI generated fake WA trailers saturating the webz.
    But you know what?
    I LOVED this film from start to finish. It was cool and surprising and not at all what I expected from the official trailer.
    The cast is beyond solid and there are some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments sandwiched between all the quirk.
    And who can hate on a Jarvis Cocker end credit song?
    Top notch and may have just become my favorite WA film.

The Green Knight
    David Lowrey's (The Old Man & the Gun) latest cinematic endeavor is something of a departure for him as he takes leave of American shores and modern timelines to deliver a dream-like take on an Arthurian legend.
    The film unfolds in a languid manner, which threatens to teeter on the edge of tedium at times, but is never not visually arresting. There are constantly things happening out of frame or just out of focus in the background, tugging one's eyes away from the main action; so much so that it warrants a second and even perhaps a third viewing.
    As for the story itself, a rather straight forward quest becomes an ambiguous and at times quietly meditative journey filled with strange encounters and odd visages. Then the ending comes and whomps you upside the head like a rusty broad sword, leaving you slightly dazed and wondering what it was all about. Is it ultimately an examination of integrity? A deep dive into the concept of honor? A hero's journey of self discovery? A vain escapade for fame and glory? Or a rumination on destiny and fate and the futility to alter your life's path? The film will definitely linger long after viewing and should spark lively post screening discussion.
    On top of all this, the cast is top-notch, featuring a lot of familiar faces delivering nuanced and immersive performances. Furthermore, it is all held together with a richly textured score.

RIYL
    The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey
    Excaliber
    A Field In England

4/5

Went to the theater to watch the first two episodes of Reacher Season 2. The first two episodes were pretty good and had some good action. Similar vibe as the first season. There were a few laughs such as a quip about a past role of one of the actors. I have high hopes for the rest of the season.

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Taylor Swift released her ERAs concert on her birthday today and watched it with the daughter and was pretty impressed w the production values and the effort she puts out (although the pouty side glances to the camera got a little stale). I can’t barely imagine the cost and effort it takes to produce that show but it was visually stunning. Not sure I’d want to drop the cash a good ticket would cost to see it live but it looked like a great experience

I liked S1 of Reacher. Will be interesting to see if they can roll smoothly I. A second season

FIRST COW
    This quietly engaging historical drama is about a coupla poor loafers who devise a scheme to sell baked goods at a fort in Oregon territory circa 1820.
    Directed by Kelly Reichardt and co-written by her and Jonathan Raymond (based on his novel The Half-Life), the film is slyly low-key and teeming with droll humor.

I've been getting some decent recommendations after watching some '60's war movies.

Freaks vs. The Reich. I went in as blind as you can knowing the movie is about circus freaks and Nazi's and it delivered so much more.

^Added that to my queue several weeks ago because I am a fan of the actor Franz Rogowski.

Also, the director’s previous film, They Call Me Jeeg, is super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    ASTEROID CITY
    I was kinda starting to feel like I might be Wes Andersoned out, what with The French Dispatch only a mere 2 years in the past, plus the recent deluge of AI generated fake WA trailers saturating the webz.
    But you know what?
    I LOVED this film from start to finish. It was cool and surprising and not at all what I expected from the official trailer.
    The cast is beyond solid and there are some genuinely laugh-out-loud moments sandwiched between all the quirk.
    And who can hate on a Jarvis Cocker end credit song?
    Top notch and may have just become my favorite WA film.
    Been wondering about this one, thx
    I enjoyed the french dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I liked S1 of Reacher. Will be interesting to see if they can roll smoothly I. A second season
    scrolling google news, i saw an article calling reacher “peak dad tv”
    sigh & touché
    [lol]
    1st 3 episodes of s2 are as you might expect…so if you’re into it, you’ll be into it

Amazon Prime Instant Video Rec

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The books really had nothing to do with each other beside the character. And the character stayed flat. All a pretty good example of staying in your lane and keeping it simple. I see no reason that this basic formula can’t be middling successful until the actor is tired of it. Nobody will ever accuse it of being aspirational.

I’m a fan, but I like simple brutal action where my heros don’t bleed.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    scrolling google news, i saw an article calling reacher “peak dad tv”
    sigh & touché
    [lol]
    1st 3 episodes of s2 are as you might expect…so if you’re into it, you’ll be into it
    That is pretty spot on lol

Tom Wilkinson passed away on 30 December

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0929489/..._q_tom%2520wil

Watched this last night

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3525168...m_flmg_t_6_act

If you like dark comedy, you'll love this

4 budgies out of 5 heroes

Spent the Christmas break catching up on S2 of Reacher. It’s nothing new, but it’s entertaining. Peak Dad TV is a good way to describe it.

We also watched Deadloch.
    Ep 1. WTF did we just watch?!
    Ep 2. I’m not sure if this is good, but we should watch another to see if we like it.
    Ep 3. I’m hooked.
    If I had to describe it, I would call it “An Aussie Corner Gas meets Scooby-Doo, but with lesbians.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

ROBOT JOX
    A gloriously fantastic slab of forgotten direct-to-video B-movie madness made at the tail end of The Cold War.
    The stop-motion effects alone are worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    If I had to describe it, I would call it “An Aussie Corner Gas meets Scooby-Doo, but with lesbians.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Go on....

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Yeah, Deadloch is weird, funny, absurd in a good way, absurd in a bad way, and sometimes serious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Deadloch is brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, Deadloch is weird, funny, absurd in a good way, absurd in a bad way, and sometimes serious.
    All this. Hopefully they do another season.