identifying Fly Lines

Just started unpacking some gear from our move and realized I did a piss poor job of labeling lines that I had taken off spools for the winter and different trips, so now i have no idea what line is what...
    Its all saltwater fly lines from 7 to 10Wts. A combination of intermediate, floating, sink tips, cold weather and tropical lines as well. its a fucking mess.
    I was thinking about getting a small digital scale for the kitchen and figure that I can weigh the lines and the lighter ones should be the 7's and then work my way up to to the 10Wt? Does it even work that way?

is there an easier way to tell?

You could start with this. Keep in mind that these weights are for the front 30 ft of line.

Name:  imgres.png
Views: 137
Size:  14.0 KB

You should be able to tell cold vs warm just by the stiffness of the line. The warm weather lines are stiffer. Sink tips should have a color change. Not sure what to tell you about intermediate. Most of the ones I have seen are clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    You could start with this. Keep in mind that these weights are for the front 30 ft of line.

Name:  imgres.png
Views: 137
Size:  14.0 KB

You should be able to tell cold vs warm just by the stiffness of the line. The warm weather lines are stiffer. Sink tips should have a color change. Not sure what to tell you about intermediate. Most of the ones I have seen are clear.
    That chart looks like old AFTMA standards which people haven't built lines too, especially in the Salt game, for years. I have 8 weight lines that are 330+ grains, and 5's that are pushing 185.

A grain scale + micrometer to get an idea of weight + diameter then use the process of elimination, IE this one is lighter and thinner than the next. It's a pain but the only way to do it. Or toss them all and buy new lines that have printing on them

Shut up, nerd.

Good Stuff I'll let you know how it goes.