Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newfoundland and Labrador?

My wife and I are looking into going out to Newfoundland (and/or Labrador) this summer, and I wanted to see if anyone's been... and what they thought. We'd likely be going in either early or late June. My main goal of the trip is sightseeing (natural landscapes and beauty) and photography.

We've been to Iceland a couple of times recently, and absolutely love that kind of landscape and environment, and Newfoundland looks very similar (to me, at least). We also like places that aren't overrun with people, and it looks like we can find solitude off the beaten path- outside of St. John- up there.

Any feedback or recommendations?

Great dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Great dogs.
    Which ones?

Well, they have mastered the art of begging....

Newfoundland has topography that reminds me of Tuolumne Meadows, but is at sea level and minus the iconic peaks. Meaning there is some really scenic glaciated terrain. Go for a boat ride and keep an eye out for whales.

I'm guessing you're going to the Newfoundland part, which is the island, aka "The Rock". (Labrador is on the mainland).

First, It's "St John's". St John is a city in New Brunswick, and you will be corrected and eye rolled by the locals for making that mistake.

Fantastic place for sights / photography. Not sure about the timing, but IIRC late spring/early summer is good for iceburg sightings.

St John's is a cool little town, with brightly painted buildings. Very 'Old Europe fishing village'. The under-30 tourist thing is to go down to George Street (pretty much all bars) to get "screeched" and kiss the cod.

Definitely head up Signal Hill, which can walk to from downtown. It still has cannons from the 1700s, and it's where Marconi's first trans-atlantic telegraph was received.

Cape Spear is an easy drive from Saint John's and is the easternmost point in North America. It has an historic light house, and gun battery leftover from WWII.

Getting away from St John's, Gros Morne Park is a must see. The fjords there are amazing.

Newfies drool too much. Such a mess.

I've spent time on 'the rock' and in Iceland and you are correct they have very similar topography and weather. Take lots of warm cloths and rain gear for June. The live music scene in St John's is great. Queen street is the hub of night life. Don't expect much in the way of services if you get off the beaten track. Restaurants in the small villages are not great. The west coast is trendy by nufie standards. East coast small villages more traditional. Bird sanctuary on the se coast (cant remember the name) is worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Newfies drool too much. Such a mess.
    The Quebecois make fun of them, for that very fact. And the intermarriage thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Which ones?
    Newfies and labs. There may be a joke flying over my head about now.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Well, they have mastered the art of begging....
    I Laf'd. Out loud.
    However many are in a shit ton.

No bikes? Seem to remember a Pinkbike article about MTB in one of those dog islands.

I think I get it now. The title ends with a question mark. I can rest now, even if it's while knowing I'm not as quick as I'd like to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    No bikes? Seem to remember a Pinkbike article about MTB in one of those dog islands.
    Not a biking vacation... hiking and photography with the wife.

This is for the Corner Brook to L'anse aux meadows west coast of NL. Also some Gros Morne. Highly recommended for scenery and lack of people

http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/tag/newfoundland/

Never been. However my daughter is planning on going to UNB Fredericton. That's as close as I'll get. That's where St. John is with the other UNB campus.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Never been, so no help there, but if this about dogs I can add something.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Isn't St John's Wort supposed to help with ADHD?

Sorry Maz, it wasn't even funny to start with.

Anyways, from what I hear you need to book a day trip on a small boat and visit a couple of old "Outports" there's all these tiny abandoned villages along the coast that supported fishing but weren't connected to the rest of the world by road. Everything came and went by water or on the ice in winter. When the fishing industry collapsed the government basically forced the people out because it was too hard to provide services.

Some are inhabited by a few old people or squatters or homesteaders but most are eerily empty and preserved. Sounds very cool to me. Always wanted to get up there. I've been to all the other Maritime Provinces but not Newfoundland (or Labrador, which is supposed to be wild but I don't find it as interesting and attractive.

Also - you get to try to learn Newfie! Very awesome unintelligible dialect, check youtube.

Just to clarify

St. John's is the capital city of Newfoundland

Saint John is a city in New Brunswick (that has a small campus of UNB - the larger campus is an hour away in Fredericton)

There is no city called Saint John's or St John.

Make a reservation for Mallard Cottage for breakfast or brunch. Great food and it's in a gorgeous little cove area called Quidi Vidi just outside of downtown St John's (3-5 minute drive). Mallard Cottage also has a great bar. And there is a microbrewery on the cove as well (Quidi Vidi Brewing - the green building in this photo).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quidi-Vidi-Landscape-Wedding-Engagement-Photo-Session.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	203074

Now wait, are you saying that "Saint" and the abrreviation for it, "St." are not interchangeable? Lord tunderin by, that's a dog's breakfast there.

And yes as mentioned earlier google Gros Morne park and look at the images - it's on the other side of the island.

Name:  NL-GM-2013_08_20-0822 WEB2- Chris Reardon.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  110.5 KB

If you like great food and have some money to spend I would eat at Raymond's in St John's. Multi-course menu with foods like seal carpaccio etc. They also run the Merchant Tavern which is the more casual food joint (also amazing)

"Newfoundland's Raymonds named Canada's best restaurant, while Montreal dominates chefs' top 50 list"

http://news.nationalpost.com/appetiz...ls-top-50-list

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Now wait, are you saying that "Saint" and the abrreviation for it, "St." are not interchangeable? Lord tunderin by, that's a dog's breakfast there.
    Dose by's are a serious folk.

Name:  my-cousin-found-an-oddly-named-city-in-newfoundland-141959.png
Views: 268
Size:  678.6 KB

In 81 we took the 18 hr ferry to st john's drove across the province and took the 6hr back to the mainland a bit of a party on the boat

newfies are easy going and have great sense of humor, you can tell em a newfie joke and they will respond with "yeah but did ya hear the one about ..."
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

"Glenwood Irving" is my favorite Newfie lego story video