Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii

Hawaii

I am going to send my daughter, and her Mom to Hawaii for her graduation present.
    Which island do you guys prefer, and what Island would you send someone that has never been
    If you have hotels you like, let me know.
    I know nothing about it, and wont be able to go.
    So a trip for Mom, and daughter, to have a blast.
    Probably stay a week or so..

Every time I've been to Hawaii I've been lucky to stay in the beachfront villas at the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui. Outstanding location and digs with your own splash pool on the beach - would be too much if it's just 2 people, but the rest of the accommodations are definitely no slouch either. Easy access to a lot too. Expensive but really worth it for a big trip for a big occasion. Hell, everything is expensive there, it's an island.
    I still call it The Jake.

Maui
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

My favorite island is Kauai, but that's because it's least like the other islands.

For your daughter and her Mom, I'd say Maui. Look at the Ka'anapali area. Great beaches, very nice hotels, and views of Lanai and Moloka'i. They can drive around the east side to Hana one day, do the touristy stuff, I recall there is a pretty good winery around the south end of the island, below the volcano.

If when they go is flexible think about whale migration season. It's really cool to see huge humpback whale jumping out of the ocean.

You can't lose. You can only win in different ways.

Big Island to see Volcanos park if they'd be into that
    Maui has a bit of everything that's great about Hawaii
    Oahu to see Pearl Harbour
    Kauai for really awesome hiking and sights (my favourite island)

Again each island is great so you can't lose

Big vote for these guidebooks - I tell anyone who asks that these are essential - no one who has bought them has disagreed

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

How hard, or easy is it to jump islands.
    Are there a ferry's, or is it better to pick one, and stay there.
    Chopper rides.
    They do want to stay on a beach, so I have been looking, but damn the options are endless.
    If skipping islands is not too bad, It looks like Maui would be in the center, so it would be a good place to go either way...Yes, or no??
    It will be right after she graduates..End of May, first of June..thinking 10-12 days. Is that about right, or too much?
    Thanks for the replies

It's exceptionally easy to get from island to island from Maui. We even did a small plane, a helicopter, and a boat one trip.
    I still call it The Jake.

I am going to Hawaii for the first time this spring...five days on Kauai and five days on the big island. So psyched. One of the most painful (First World Problems) memories of my youth is my parents taking my older brother and sister to Hawaii and leaving me and my younger brother with my grandma. Now, 40-something years later, it's my turn!

Whatever island you choose (I'm partial to the Big Island out of all of them) get them a Revealed book to make the most out of their trip and don't forget to have them bring their national parks pass esp. if they go to the Big Island (really, it's the best )

And remember: In Hawai'i all beaches are public. That means you can go to any hotel/resort and enjoy their beachfront. Some do limit the number of people they allow in so you need to go early. It's a nice way to enjoy other beach venues and check out the properties. If they go the the Big Island they should check out the Four Seasons Hualalai. Beautiful grounds, Art galleries, dining at every level. Worth a look if you aren't staying there.

The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has a wonderful beach for snorkling. Lots of turtles or as the Hawaiians say "Honu".
    Last edited by KQ; 03-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Hey Lee.

I have been to the big Island twice and love it. It has the most diversoty, by far. One island. ..lots of options. Dry coast, rain forest, high altitude, orchid gardens, cowboy westerns, kayaking in irrigation tunnels, great snorkeling, swimming with dophins, history, Cook monument, green sand beachs, black sand beaches, the lost goes on and on and on. Resort hotels, or beater motels. Best opti9n, if they are into it, is camping. Beach front camps site, dirt cheap, sea turtles right outside your tent. It is amazing, not to mention active volcanos.

I'd be happy to send you my cell # if you want to talk about it.

There are a couple great threads here about all the things to do in Hawaii and the best guide book.

Cheers

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Every island is great, but I highly recommend checking out some of the more interesting things on Oahu. Pearl Harbor Memorial and the mighty MO are worth the visit. Get a shave ice on the north shore, check out the shrimp trucks, hike diamond head, go around the island, etc...I guess my point is don't miss out on the major attractions in Oahu. If possible, baking up the trip and doing Oahu and an outer island would be so much better. The other islands are more country and not like Honolulu.

I'm from Hawaii and am still amazed at the place everytime I go home to see my parents.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    How hard, or easy is it to jump islands.
    Are there a ferry's, or is it better to pick one, and stay there.
    Chopper rides.
    They do want to stay on a beach, so I have been looking, but damn the options are endless.
    If skipping islands is not too bad, It looks like Maui would be in the center, so it would be a good place to go either way...Yes, or no??
    It will be right after she graduates..End of May, first of June..thinking 10-12 days. Is that about right, or too much?
    Thanks for the replies
    There's inter island flights that are 30 mins to 60 mins to other islands from hnl. You could fly into Oahu and then go to Maui after a few days and then fly straight from Maui to the mainland.

In my experience having visited all 4 of the main islands a few times they each seem to have hot and sunny dry coasts and more rainy lush coasts, areas with altitude, and interesting adventures (swimming through caves, visiting craters, climbing knife edge ridges etc). Renting a vehicle is essential in my opinion as are the guidebooks I mentioned earlier.

The Big Island is amazing for all the reasons Hutash mentioned but you can find a myriad of areas to explore on each island.

For 10 days I personally would stick to one island and then have a mix of adventure days and more relaxed days - depends on energy levels.

Except for Big Island you can always drive to the other side of the islands, do something significant, and drive back all in the same day (it's possible to do that on the big island but it eats up a lot of time). For reference - you can fit all the other Hawaiian islands land area inside of the Big Island.

Again - you can't lose. And if they love it then they will want to go back and check out other islands.
    Last edited by bennymac; 03-12-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Does the doors off helicopter if you go to Kauai. Well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Does the doors off helicopter if you go to Kauai. Well worth it.
    What Yonder River is referring to (not my photo):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	202324

Us on the beach pictured:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3058.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	805.0 KB 
ID:	202325

man I miss Hawaii - especially when it's 20 degrees below freezing

TBH, I needed to make a decision quick, so I did.
    I put them on the Kaanapali coast, and they can go wherever they want from there.
    They are going to stay beachside at the Honua Kai Resort & Spa
    My brain was hammered, and the Hotels are filling up, from Graduation I guess, and being Memorial day.
    I have already told them, and had them download the guidebooks tonight.
    My part is done, and now its up to the ladies to enjoy.
    I know it was fast, but I made a quick decision.
    they are not hikers per se, but will want to have a couple days where they can dive, and hike a bit.
    They can day trip to the BI, and will def go to Pearl Harbor.
    Thanks for giving me ideas. It will work out fine, and the girls are stoked. They will have 12 days there.
    That is because I don't want to be without them much longer than that..a bit selfish, but what can I say.
    Mucho, mucho thanks..

#winning

my only advice that goes against what's in the much revered guidebook is to skip the whole sunrise on top of Maui. We camped halfway up the mountain and got there with time to spare. We had winter hats on and were wrapped up in our sleeping bags because it was freezing. There were some clouds in the sky and the sun coming up over them was nice....but not that nice. I feel it's like the emperor's clothes of Hawaii - once you've gone through the pain of experiencing it you justify it by talking about how great it was.

If you start at your resort you have to leave at like 3-4 in the morning to make the long drive in the dark to get to the top in time to see it. You go to a lot of trouble to stand there freezing (on your warm weather vacation) to see something you could watch from sea level. We were going backpacking and camping into the crater the next night so it wasn't such a loss for us. But I would feel shortchanged had we driven up for just the sunrise.

What makes more sense to me is to drive up in the afternoon, check out the crater, do some of the Sliding Sands trail (I can recommend a really great loop for a dayhike that avoids climbing back up Sliding Sands) and then time it so you are up there for sunset. Which will be just as beautiful, much much warmer, and avoid the pain of waking up at 3am.

Can you tell I'm wishing I was going to Hawaii?

If you're considering the big island, keep an eye on the NPS "What's Going on the with the Volcano" page. Conditions are always changing. Right now, there is lava running to the ocean in pretty spectacular fashion, but that's not always the case. Make sure you see the summit caldera at night.

Looks like you did them right. Kaanapali is a great choice. There is a little beach along that highway that has a great coral reef and lots of tropical fish. I was trying to find it on the map. I think it might be: "mile marker 14, a great beach to snorkel".

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    TBH, I needed to make a decision quick, so I did.
    I put them on the Kaanapali coast, and they can go wherever they want from there.
    They are going to stay beachside at the Honua Kai Resort & Spa
    My brain was hammered, and the Hotels are filling up, from Graduation I guess, and being Memorial day.
    I have already told them, and had them download the guidebooks tonight.
    My part is done, and now its up to the ladies to enjoy.
    I know it was fast, but I made a quick decision.
    they are not hikers per se, but will want to have a couple days where they can dive, and hike a bit.
    They can day trip to the BI, and will def go to Pearl Harbor.
    Thanks for giving me ideas. It will work out fine, and the girls are stoked. They will have 12 days there.
    That is because I don't want to be without them much longer than that..a bit selfish, but what can I say.
    Mucho, mucho thanks..
    We are staying there next month, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Sorry for the thread jack but don't want to start a whole other thread:
    Any other suggestions for stuff to do on Maui?
    Any mountain biking worth checking out? Is the skyline trail down Haleakala open/worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    We are staying there next month, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Sorry for the thread jack but don't want to start a whole other thread:
    Any other suggestions for stuff to do on Maui?
    Any mountain biking worth checking out? Is the skyline trail down Haleakala open/worth doing?
    Morning snorkel around black rock followed by lunch at Maui fish market in Lahaina. Afternoon of board or kite surfing at Hookipa.

Honestly, I was pretty turned off by 8 days in Maui. IMHO, it's very much stuck in the late 70's-early 80's wanna buy a timeshare mindset. Lots more to do there if you're of the touristy shopping mindset, and not of the strike out on your own adventure. I'd rather spend my time on the big island (never been) or Kauai (my favorite, been 5 times and not tired of it). Only been inside of Honolulu, so I don't have a feel for Oahu, other than a big city feels like a big city anywhere.

You may notice a trend with the maggots favoring Kauai, there's a reason...
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Honestly, I was pretty turned off by 8 days in Maui. IMHO, it's very much stuck in the late 70's-early 80's wanna buy a timeshare mindset. Lots more to do there if you're of the touristy shopping mindset, and not of the strike out on your own adventure. I'd rather spend my time on the big island (never been) or Kauai (my favorite, been 5 times and not tired of it). Only been inside of Honolulu, so I don't have a feel for Oahu, other than a big city feels like a big city anywhere.

You may notice a trend with the maggots favoring Kauai, there's a reason...
    Maui is WAY too crowded these days for my tastes but I'm old and prefer small towns now so take that with a grain of salt. Back in the 70s my family had a condo in Kaanapali before anyone even knew Kihei existed and Lahaini was a sleepy little town surrounded by cane fields. Time marches on... it's always the way still if you've never been you should def. go.

Same goes for Honolulu. Spent a fair amount of time there as a kid and don't regret it. Lots of history to see but again... big city on a small island still... go and experience it for sure.

Kauai is nice. Garden Isle is my second favorite but it lacks the calm beaches of the Big Island. Many beaches like Lumaha'i and Hanakapi'ai have strong rogue waves and rip currents and forget about snorkeling off the beach at the Grand Hyatt with its crashing waves (instead head down the road to Brennecke's Beach).

Family has a place in Waikoloa now so yeah partial to the Big Island for more than just the incredible variety of flora, topography and slower pace.

Anyhoo.... just rambling and remembering good times.

Mahalo!

What an awesome gift for your daughter!

It's really hard to go wrong with 2 weeks in Hawaii. I've been a handful of times and have never wished I did my trip differently (other than wanting it to be longer!).

Hang out on the beach, snorkel or SCUBA, take a heli ride, eat a bunch of food, spend more money than you think you should, take a hike, see some sunrise/sunsets, whatever. It's all good. Each island has their different quirks and attractions, but it's all fun.

ETA: It's the stupid touristy thing to do, but if they are renting a car, get a Jeep or the convertible Mustangs they have. Nothing like driving around the island with the top down!