Canister Stove Recommendations?

I want something small enough that it doesn't take up alot of room in the pack that I will want to bring along on long day trips; possibly even pack inside of a smaller pot. I know alot of them have problems when it gets really cold and up at higher altitudes; so would like to get a more reliable one as far as cold and altitude are concerned. Also, is piezo ignition worth getting or am I always going to be using matches or a lighter instead.

Ones I've looked at so far:

MSR super fly and pocket rocket
    Snow peaks giga

don't want Jet Boil

Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful - thanks in advance
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

I was gonna say jet boil up you already nixed that. Why? Is it because you can only "cook" in the cup thing? I've used one a few times at 13K and also on self-support river trips and was really happy with the performance. If you know of any flaws, let me know 'cause my Mom is taking one on a thru hike of the AT.

My Snowpeak suffered on Rainier last summer. Took forever to melt snow.
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Jet Boil is pretty frickin cool. Just got one and love it.
    So far, mine has only been used a bunch to make hot tea on the beach, but damn is it efficient for heating water. I'd expect snow melting to get high marks also.
    The all in one stove/pot/cup makes it a weight saver if that is all you bring.
    the fuel and stove pack inside the cup, so its not much more than a nalgene bottle in your pack.

If you want reliable at cold and altitude - why are you getting a canister stove? All of the canisters crap out in the cold. Go white gas for altitude & cold.

For canister stoves, I love my pocket rocket. Small, light, reliable - and cheap.
    Elvis has left the building

I recognize that almost all canisters have problems in cold and at altitude, but want one of the "more" reliable of he bunch.

A couple of friends had some probls with jet boil cup overflowing and dam near scalding them when trying to remove it - that is all.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

The Primus Omni Fuel is sweet - cannister or white gas. but it's $$$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm a big fan of MSR stoves also but it seems like they have lost touch with their core market. Probly has to do with being acquired by Cascade Designs and focusing more on the mass market. It's hard to get good service from them now.

Go with the SnowPeak Giga. Use their fuel and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    I recognize that almost all canisters have problems in cold and at altitude, but want one of the "more" reliable of he bunch.
    That's more to do with canister selection and canister prep than anything else. Every so often take the pot off the stove and put the stove in the pot of water. Pocket rocket's better than the Giga in my opinion but their isn't much difference between the 2.

I recognize that almost all canisters have problems in cold and at altitude, but want one of the "more" reliable of the bunch.
    You do know about the sketchy probably-going-to-blow-you-up-but-climbers-have-been-doing-it-for-years canister stove modification right?

Here's the skinny, copied from elsewhere:
    Quote Originally Posted by Some dude on the internet
    For years climbers in cold environments have used homemade "copper wire" heat exchangers to keep the canisters warm. The technique simply uses a 1/8" diameter copper wire (flattened with a hammer) with both ends in contact with the flame and the remainder of the wire wrapped once around either the bottom or the sides of the canister. The copper wire provides a small amount of heat to the canister without serious risk of overheating. Often, the canister and copper wire are wrapped with heat resistant tape or closed cell foam lined with foil to improve heat exchange (by providing an insulator) and prevent accidentally touching the copper wire and causing burns to clothing or skin.

One should realize that neither canister nor stove manufacturers will address the validity of this technique, since copper is an excellent conductor of heat and can potentially cause canister overheating with serious consequences (explosion), so any user adopting this technique should use extreme caution.
    My dog did not bite your dog, your dog bit first, and I don't have a dog.

Pocket Rocket is a great stove also. MSR fuel runs at a higher pressure and can't be used on the Snowpeak. Snowpeak fuel seems to have a better blend for cold weather.

After years of using only white gas stoves, priming them, rebuilding them at 12,000 feet when they get clogged, breathing fumes, etc.etc., I switched to canister stoves.

It is a little bit like the difference between a Freeride and Dynafit AT binding. A bit finicky to use, but once you figure it out, better.

Xover:

I have a lot of experience with hiking stoves.

If you're just doing day trips or weekenders, especially in the snow, quick boil time is more important than efficiency. You'll want something with high BTU output.

I'm not a fan of the ultra-ultralight stoves like the Snow Peak and the MSR, because pots don't want to stay on top of them. I'll hike an extra couple ounces in order to not scald myself.

The Primus Alpine Power Cook boils really fast, weighs very little, and comes with little feet to keep the fuel can off the snow. It's what you want -- but it's expensive ($65).

The Gaz Turbo 270 is almost as fast and costs $37 less, but it's very heavy and uses different canisters than everyone else (although sometimes in Europe they're easier to get than the Primus/MSR/everyone else type).

The Coleman Powerboost is cheaper than the Primus, only a little heavier, and is almost as fast if you believe the figures, but I have no experience with it. Worth a try if you buy it from REI because you can return it if it sucks.

Built-in igniters work really well once you get the hang of them. The gas has to be just *barely* on or it blows out the spark. I put my stove up to my ear, twist until I can just barely hear hissing, put it down, push the button, and foomp! Works every time. (I still carry a lighter as backup, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    I'm not a fan of the ultra-ultralight stoves like the Snow Peak and the MSR, because pots don't want to stay on top of them. I'll hike an extra couple ounces in order to not scald myself.

Built-in igniters work really well once you get the hang of them. The gas has to be just *barely* on or it blows out the spark. I put my stove up to my ear, twist until I can just barely hear hissing, put it down, push the button, and foomp! Works every time. (I still carry a lighter as backup, though.)
    Built in igniters suck. They weigh more, they break, you should have a lighter along anyways. I've never had a problem with pot stability on a Pocket Rocket in 4 years. Make sure the stove is flat - if your on the snow this is easy. Shovel + foam pad. MSRstyle cylinders are available anywhere remotely civilized now - don't bother with a gaz
    Last edited by cj001f; 06-09-2005 at 04:15 PM.

I employ a closed cell foam canister-cozy (very similar to a beer cozy) and a foam pad/base when using my canister stove in cold weather. I also sleep with the canister in my bag or walk around with it under my armpit to keep it warm. Obviously these are some what cumbersome solutions, but they are cheaper and easier than buying a white-gas stove and less explosive the copper wire thing. (In cold weather, even squeezing the canister with your fingers will increase the output.) I’ve used the el cheap Gaz stove for years, so I’ll defer to Spat’s recommendations.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

A couple of friends had some probls with jet boil cup overflowing and dam near scalding them when trying to remove it - that is all.
    Obviously they didn't read the "dont fill above" part inside the cup.
    Jetboils' rock! You can use any threaded cartridge w/ them, though the lil ones fit nice, just dont last that long for melting. Lil cartridge will last 2 peeps, 2 days approx. A few weeks of b/c on mine this season. It's the 1st peizo ignition that actually works for me. Doesn't get much easier if you don't have to "cook".
    Gaz stoves are nice and bomber, if you can put up w/ finding the canisters. 4 yrs on mine.
    Both of these stoves have worked @12K.
    A lot of the canister problem is when they're cold. Put them in your bag at night and they work great.
    Last edited by Schralper; 06-09-2005 at 04:44 PM.

i own the pocket rocket and jetboil. the jetboil is an awesome peice of equipment!! i have nothing even remotely bad to say about it, only great things. the pocket rocket is handy and i bring it as a back up stove or to handle the jobs that the jetboil cant do. it does have a tendency to try and shit out in very cold conditions and it can sometimes be somewhat of a balancing act to keep a pot on the burner but all in all is a good little stove.
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    Xover:

The Primus Alpine Power Cook boils really fast, weighs very little, and comes with little feet to keep the fuel can off the snow. It's what you want -- but it's expensive ($65).
    The Power Cook is a very powerful stove (11,000 btu). I own one & have seen it warp the bottom of pans at full throttle. It also works well for lighting charcoal briquets in one pf those chimney things, for the barbeque.