Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Fritschi Tecton

not just the radical what about the tri-step toe piece that Dynafit never manned up on?

Between Tr-step & rad 1 they had some stuff that didnt not suck so we trusted them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not just the radical what about the tri-step toe piece that Dynafit never manned up on?

Between Tr-step & rad 1 they had some stuff that didnt not suck so we trusted them
    is this the tecton thread?

why not dig up an old dynafit bashing thread, or even start a new one?

when you created your user account, did the registration system object to "thread-cunter" so you went with "xxx-er" ??

naw we are bashing tech binding makers who rush product to market without testing, marker, fritschi, dynafit ... everyone here so try to follow along

havent you got a family of skiers you should be assaulting or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    No issues at all. It has a pretty stiff lockout mode when touring. Not a single review has raised this as an issue over the last 3 years. Sweet FUD though.
    Like Brian I've drunk the Vipec koolaid. There;'s issues for sure which I've raised in reviews. I've levered the heel risers off when on icy skintracks because the plastic can flex and twist off their perch mount. I've broken the black stepin guides at the toe piece but that's just cosmetic. But I've stomped some pretty aggro skintracks and not broken anything or levered out of the toe piece when locked in either by the toe piece laterally releasing or otherwise.

Given that the Tecton heelpiece is new that's where I expect a review to focus. Fritschi fucked up the initial release and it took the black toepiece from last year for improvement for sure but after some 50+ days IMO the MAJOR issues with the toepieces are resolved

This is interesting (from Lou's post) ...

Heel plate appears to be the same as that of the Vipec, but powers-that-be told me not to use the Vipec plate but to remove it and install the plate that came with Tecton. The Tecton plate I used had a different screw pattern than Vipec (same width but longer), so I drilled a new set of heel holes. I have not gotten clear on whether I have a demo plate and the regular Tecton plate uses same screw pattern as Vipec, or if you’ll always need new holes. When I clarify this I’ll update here and our Tecton FAQ.)
    I wonder about how robust the small struts which engage with the Tech heel are. Granted, they engage with the plastic in the heel, and not the metal tech fitting (assuming it's aligned with the pin slots), but still, it seems like an area of concentrated force. This will be interesting to watch.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-27-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Looks like the heel fitting keys allow for a shallow heel cup, saving weight. The cup still has some lip curvature though, so the keys aren't doing all the work fixing the hell laterally.

That was my take as well (the design goal of saving weight via a shallower heel cup), but I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach with them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

The only thing fritschi could bring to the table for me are working brakes...

Agreed about brake deployment being a bit finicky. They're still my binding of choice for anything but uber-light. #2 would likely be a coin toss between G3 & ATK. I think Lindahl's approach (a page or two back) is the way to go as far as fixing Vipec brake deployment.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Agreed about brake deployment being a bit finicky. They're still my binding of choice for anything but uber-light. #2 would likely be a coin toss between G3 & ATK. I think Lindahl's approach (a page or two back) is the way to go as far as fixing Vipec brake deployment.

... Thom
    I filed them, and lubed them. It improved deployment but the spring is just too weak when the snow freezes. Still my fav binding.

At the end of the day, it seems as if brake reliability implies weight (robustness).

I've been threatening (to myself) for well over a year to pick up a set of B&D leashes to gain some confidence in their efficacy - use both for a while until gaining enough confidence in them to remove the brakes. This has been a screwy season for me, and a lot of gear experimentation didn't happen.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Just throwing a half ass brake for the sake of having a brake that usually deploys in the showroom is bullshit.

I was looking in to fusible link leashes. I NEVER fall, but it's a bit unerving when half the time the breaks don't deploy when I step out of the binding.

^^^im soooo much better than you.

leashed Vipecs don't care.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Just throwing a half ass brake for the sake of having a brake that usually deploys in the showroom is bullshit.

I was looking in to fusible link leashes. I NEVER fall, but it's a bit unerving when half the time the breaks don't deploy when I step out of the binding.
    I agree with you, but in fairness, I haven't seen a tech binding with brakes that work as well as an alpine binding's. It has to be the weight thing, although the Ions' brakes are acceptable, as would be the Vipecs' if they'd deploy dependably (I'm slowly dialing them in - don't want to file away too much plastic).

The last Dyna-fiddle brakes I played with were the Comfort/Vertical generations and they were downright scary.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

never had a problem with vertical brakes on 3-4 different sets of dynafit bindings from 92-132 mm
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    never had a problem with vertical brakes on 3-4 different sets of dynafit bindings from 92-132 mm
    Cool, what about retention, release and elasticity

I'm sticking with old tech...
    frustrating that these new bindings struggle so with the brakes
    Aggressive in my own mind

I'm sticking with old tech...
    frustrating that these new bindings struggle so with the brakes
    Methinks you're experiencing a bit of the IAE (Internet Amplification Effect).

If you judge a brake on it's function (to stop a ski), then the Ions and Vipecs are far superior to the TLT Comfort and Vertical generations. I have no experience with Radicals. With the Comfort/Vertical, the brake arms swing open dependably, but the springs are so weak that I'd call them ski "slower-downers" rather than brakes.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Vipecs (much as I'd feel more comfortable if they deployed more smoothly on the bench right out of the box) ... if you release from a ski, it's bouncing, vibrating and flexing, and renders all of this non-deploying brake commentary somewhat academic. The stickiness we're reporting requires very little vibration to free the brake.

One caveat regarding daught's point: I don't ski in the PNW where wet snow might change the equation in terms of icing. I'll bet Alpy and Lee can comment further with respect to wet snow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

If you don't like the way the brakes work, then dump them and go with a leash. A lighter option and you won't be digging around for a lost ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Choucas View Post
    If you don't like the way the brakes work, then dump them and go with a leash. A lighter option and you won't be digging around for a lost ski.
    This.

While they do always deploy in a rather elegant fashion, the RAD1 & Vert brakes don't necessarily stop well IME

I have seen a dynafit ski/rad binding still go a very long way with the brake deployed on a couple of occasions, once on a hard blue ski hill run and once in the BC in dust on an alpine crust, they just don't work the way I have come to expect from alpine binding brakes,

one thing I tried was swapping salomon brake guardian arms (cheaper than dynafit) into a RAD brake assmebly , it works well/ deploys well but the springs are so weak the arms don't stay down so i tried to figure out another way to strengthen the springs but couldn't, i figure they will work fine in pow and they are now on a pow ski

I Got some BnD leashes they work well on any sized ski, I haven't had to try out the safety link but it should work, but brakes are just more convenient so I put brakes back on the ski they were used on for now, still I think i will use the BnD on big pow days so I don't lose the ski
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-03-2017 at 11:56 AM.

While they do always deploy in a rather elegant fashion, the RAD1 & Vert brakes don't necessarily stop well IME

I have seen a dynafit ski/rad binding still go a very long way with the brake deployed on a couple of occasions, once on a hard blue ski hill run and once in the BC in dust on an alpine crust, they just don't work the way I have come to expect from alpine binding brakes ...
    ^^^ This

... the springs are so weak the arms don't stay down
    ^^^ and this (yes ... mostly the weak springs as opposed to the arms).

Dynafit = leash ... at least TLT Comfort & Vertical generations (I'll let folks with later generations speak to those bindings).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Now that the Marker KP is apparently dead in the US for this upcoming season, it seems Fritschi has entered the market with perfect timing. I do a lot of sidecountry/slackcountry, and a lot of skinning in-bounds early in the morning before work at my local hill. About 50/50 for lift days and skinning days. I was hoping to pick up some kingpins this summer to replace my tank-like Barons, but my local shop sold out just the other day.

Came on here to see what else is out there. Tecton looks like a good fit for me, and would allow me to up my touring game in the BC this winter. Guess I will pick up a pair in October and report back once we have some skiable snow in NM.