Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1604

Thread: Truck Tire Time

Yep, that's probably not the most useful anecdotal data point...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Trying to be ahead of the curve and considering going to two sets of wheels for my rig (2018 Sequoia) for next winter. Seems like the big investments are a) buying a second set of wheels and b) snow tires don't last as long, but after that it's just buying tires as needed. But I think I am willing to bite the bullet on "a" and "b" is just the cost of doing business with snow tires.

What is the best way to go about getting "discount" wheels (other than trolling craigslist/marketplace)? Just keep checking on places like tirerack?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Trying to be ahead of the curve and considering going to two sets of wheels for my rig (2018 Sequoia) for next winter. Seems like the big investments are a) buying a second set of wheels and b) snow tires don't last as long, but after that it's just buying tires as needed. But I think I am willing to bite the bullet on "a" and "b" is just the cost of doing business with snow tires.

What is the best way to go about getting "discount" wheels (other than trolling craigslist/marketplace)? Just keep checking on places like tirerack?

IMHO absolute best source for winter wheel set is Craigslist or FB marketplace. Your Sequoia uses the same wheel as Tundra, right? There are lots of takeoff Tundra wheels for sale cheap - I'd been looking for a set for my GMC and kept coming across Tundra wheels. You should be able to find a set for $100-150 easily.

This winter's low snowfall has meant more icy roads, and the newish all terrains on my truck weren't too confidence inspiring on ice, though they've been acceptable on the little actual snow. I picked up a set of takeoff GMC wheels for $100, and have a set of winter tires on order now.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    IMHO absolute best source for winter wheel set is Craigslist or FB marketplace. Your Sequoia uses the same wheel as Tundra, right? There are lots of takeoff Tundra wheels for sale cheap - I'd been looking for a set for my GMC and kept coming across Tundra wheels. You should be able to find a set for $100-150 easily.

This winter's low snowfall has meant more icy roads, and the newish all terrains on my truck weren't too confidence inspiring on ice, though they've been acceptable on the little actual snow. I picked up a set of takeoff GMC wheels for $100, and have a set of winter tires on order now.
    Here on the Wasatch Front it's all KSL, but yeah I scored a set of steel take offs for a Tacoma for $60. A couple of coats of matte black spray paint and they don't look too bad.

Anyone using KO3 yet?
    Very curious to know how much better they are.

I guess a second question: Do I need to buy a second set of wheels? Is there any reason not to have Discount Tire just switch them out for me each season?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I guess a second question: Do I need to buy a second set of wheels? Is there any reason not to have Discount Tire just switch them out for me each season?
    yes. it's worth $150-$200 for a second set of wheels. the cost to seasonally mount/unmount your tires will exceed this over the life of the tires and won't save you on storage space.

Discount Tire will switch the wheels on my truck for me for free, but they charge like $80 to switch the tires on my wife's car. 2x a year and you've bought cheap steels pretty quickly.

makes sense, thanks yall.

Truck Tire Time

Plus not exposing nicer factory alloys to salt/sand/road grime/mud etc that is to be expected in the winter. And you can sometimes also then run a similar sized tire with a smaller rim, lowering the price on the tires you’re buying. For some reason, the bigger the rim, the more expensive the tire even though you are getting less rubber.

Plus it's nice to be able to switch between tires yourself instead of having to make an appointment and then leave the car or wait around. A simple floor jack and an inexpensive corded impact gun make it a sub 30m job.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

IMHO absolute best source for winter wheel set is Craigslist or FB marketplace. Your Sequoia uses the same wheel as Tundra, right? There are lots of takeoff Tundra wheels for sale cheap
    In addition to takeoff OE wheels on FB/Craigslist, you can check with your local auto wrecker / salvage yard, and also independent tire shops may also have used OE wheels for sale that were swapped for aftermarket by their customers.

Danno you missed big expense (C) which is the decision of whether or not to get compatible TPMS sensors for your winter wheelset and having them coded to clone your summer wheelset so that the vehicle won’t know the difference. If you have an older vehicle that won’t bark at you for not having sensors then it’s probably not worth the expense, but if you have a newer vehicle that can display the actual sensor readings then it’s probably worth it - up to you!

This will probably cost much more than used OE wheels but about half as much as new tires. Some shops may fold in the labor for installing and cloning the sensors with the mount and balance labor. I think I paid like $300 for my second set of TPMS sensors? I honestly can’t remember as my main set needed to be replaced anyway due to age so the shop gave me a discount for getting 8 sensors, and after adding the cost of LT sized Michelins it was a big credit charge!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Plus it's nice to be able to switch between tires yourself instead of having to make an appointment and then leave the car or wait around. A simple floor jack and an inexpensive corded impact gun make it a sub 30m job.
    Very true for a passenger car - a bit harder on a compact truck … no way in hell can I do my 8 lug wheels myself, they are 100 lbs a piece and my truck is 8000 lbs!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Very true for a passenger car - a bit harder on a compact truck … no way in hell can I do my 8 lug wheels myself, they are 100 lbs a piece and my truck is 8000 lbs!!!
    I have swapped my car wheels and went back and forth on getting a burlier jack and stands to do it on a 6,000lb SUV. I decided that making the appointment and driving to the tire shop to get the wheels swapped is probably the same total time with 0% chance getting crushed.

What are you going to do if you get a flat?

Not trying to get into a dick waving contest but I manage tire rotations just fine on my truck and it's on e rated 35s. If you're doing it right you slide the tire on without really lifting it much at all cuz you get the lugs lined up and at the studs at the correct height instead of just picking the tire up and trying to manhandle it on there. Prolly be a little more challenging on a gravel driveway but it's not too difficult in the garage.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

What a soft specie we have become. Please turn in your man card, if you were even issued one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What are you going to do if you get a flat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Not trying to get into a dick waving contest but I manage tire rotations just fine on my truck and it's on e rated 35s.
    I mean, I have the bottle jack and jack stands and impact and all that that in the back of the truck. And obviously you guys have/had 1T sized trucks so you know the drill. I guess my point was that it’s enough of a hassle for me that I much prefer driving the truck to the shop to have them do seasonal wheel swaps, but I’ve always done it myself on my Subie and passenger cars (rotations as well). I use a plywood ramp to get my wheel sets from my house to my truck bed and vice versa!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I mean, I have the bottle jack and jack stands and impact and all that that in the back of the truck. And obviously you guys have/had 1T sized trucks so you know the drill. I guess my point was that it’s enough of a hassle for me that I much prefer driving the truck to the shop to have them do seasonal wheel swaps, but I’ve always done it myself on my Subie and passenger cars (rotations as well). I use a plywood ramp to get my wheel sets from my house to my truck bed and vice versa!
    Putting my winter tires on isn't too bad (E-rated Nokian in an almost-stock size on OEM rims).

Putting my summer setup on sucks (wider MTs on smaller rims, probably over 100 pounds each rather than 80ish). YMMV, but if I happen to need to have the truck at the shop anyhow, I'm happy to pay them to swap wheels. If not, I'll do it myself.

In case anyone is looking, and this size/ load range works for you, I ordered a set of these:GT Radial icePRO LT3, 265/70/17, load range E.

https://www.prioritytire.com/gt-radi...oaAhlxEALw_wcB

About $129 each after you sign in to your free account at Priority, free shipping, but I did get charged tax. Also 5% off for military vets (Mrs C), and I got Active Junky 6% cashback to work too - - not sure if that'll pay out though, as don't think it's supposed to work with the military discount.

Cheapest winter tires I could find in the right size for my truck.

Your wife just called, your balls are in her purse. My truck is 8k I have 37x12.5 on 20s for summers and 325x65 on 18s studded for the winter. Swap takes 15 minutes in a gravel driveway.

So soft you are still skiing foam cores.

In addition to takeoff OE wheels on FB/Craigslist, you can check with your local auto wrecker / salvage yard, and also independent tire shops may also have used OE wheels for sale that were swapped for aftermarket by their customers.

Danno you missed big expense (C) which is the decision of whether or not to get compatible TPMS sensors for your winter wheelset and having them coded to clone your summer wheelset so that the vehicle won’t know the difference. If you have an older vehicle that won’t bark at you for not having sensors then it’s probably not worth the expense, but if you have a newer vehicle that can display the actual sensor readings then it’s probably worth it - up to you!

This will probably cost much more than used OE wheels but about half as much as new tires. Some shops may fold in the labor for installing and cloning the sensors with the mount and balance labor. I think I paid like $300 for my second set of TPMS sensors? I honestly can’t remember as my main set needed to be replaced anyway due to age so the shop gave me a discount for getting 8 sensors, and after adding the cost of LT sized Michelins it was a big credit charge!
    I actually figured that one out, I think Discount Tire charges $60/tire to install/program.

Found a guy in Denver selling a set of wheels for $175, getting them on Wednesday. I think it's gonna be about $1500 all in for the wheels, tpms, and snows.

I actually figured that one out, I think Discount Tire charges $60/tire to install/program.

Found a guy in Denver selling a set of wheels for $175, getting them on Wednesday. I think it's gonna be about $1500 all in for the wheels, tpms, and snows.

Golf clap! That’s a solid deal.

Thanks! Getting some Blizzaks put on Thursday. Will be tough to bite the bullet but will be great to have dedicated snows.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Your wife just called, your balls are in her purse. My truck is 8k I have 37x12.5 on 20s for summers and 325x65 on 18s studded for the winter. Swap takes 15 minutes in a gravel driveway.

So soft you are still skiing foam cores.
    Glad I’m not the first not the only one who thought this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?