A web browser thread that isn't almost a decade old

The version of safari I'm running on my Mac (6.2.8) is outdated, apparently? For a while I've been getting the pop up on several websites notifying me of this, but today I'm at the point where some websites just won't work anymore… capital one, youtube, etc.

Naturally I go to update it, and I can only update safari by downloading the new 'Sierra' OS. Ummm an OS that is barely a month old, no thank you.

I then go on google chrome, which I use infrequently, and get this lovely pop up:
    "This computer will no longer receive Google Chrome updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 are no longer supported."

I'm running 10.8.5. Well fack me.

TL/DR, what browsers are other maggots running. Has anyone tried to run the new Sierra OS? I've heard it's a nightmare, like usual.

A web browser thread that isn't almost a decade old

Update to El Capitan at least?

I use Chrome with no issue

(I can't update to Sierra yet because my main business software isn't patched to be compatible yet)

Sierra works fine. Do it and kiss your issues goodbye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

If you've got enough RAM*, there's likely little downside to upgrading to at least 10.9 or 10.10. The trick will be finding an installer; Apple doesn't provide them publicly, as far as I can tell, but you may be able to find one by signing up as a developer and/or by looking at "unofficial" channels. 10.8 is well out of support for security patches, so there are very likely known holes in your system that could be exploited, possibly even via drive-by downloads from questionable sites (or reputable sites that have been hacked).

*: and if you don't, buy some more. Going to 8GB isn't that expensive.

Upgrading the OS can be a mixed bag depending on what your use your Mac for. On my mid-2009 MBP, I upgraded to 10.11 from 10.6.8 and am routinely unimpressed with a lot of the changes, particularly with regard to Apple's idea of security. With that said, I haven't experienced any decrease in performance, so... if it's just a web browsing/email machine, go for it and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Upgrading the OS can be a mixed bag depending on what your use your Mac for. On my mid-2009 MBP, I upgraded to 10.11 from 10.6.8 and am routinely unimpressed with a lot of the changes, particularly with regard to Apple's idea of security. With that said, I haven't experienced any decrease in performance, so... if it's just a web browsing/email machine, go for it and don't look back.
    what security issues have you had?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    If you've got enough RAM*, there's likely little downside to upgrading to at least 10.9 or 10.10. The trick will be finding an installer; Apple doesn't provide them publicly, as far as I can tell, but you may be able to find one by signing up as a developer and/or by looking at "unofficial" channels. 10.8 is well out of support for security patches, so there are very likely known holes in your system that could be exploited, possibly even via drive-by downloads from questionable sites (or reputable sites that have been hacked).

*: and if you don't, buy some more. Going to 8GB isn't that expensive.
    Ditto the recommendation to upgrade; I work on my mac (software development) and am on Sierra without issue. On a 2009 machine I might try going up to Yosemite first though. I put Yosemite on a 2007 iMac (even with its maxed out 6GB RAM) and it runs pretty slow... I keep meaning to put debian or something on it but never have the the time.

At some point I was able to download various versions of OS X through the app store, but I don't see them there anymore. I still have a Yosemite image on google drive though, if you (or any other mags) want to install that. Just PM me.

I use chrome because I don't mind the big evil gobbling all my data, but firefox would be the more ideologically pure choice... I kinda hate safari except in iOS.

Did it break all of your ssh keys?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The way I worded that was pretty poor, I'm sorry. What I should've said is "Apple's approach to security."

My issue probably borders on being philosophical: Apple is increasingly walling-off their products and forcing users to go through Apple-approved channels. The most blatant manifestation of this is the "trusted developed" setting that rears its head whenever I try to install something that isn't from the app store. I know, I know, there's a setting to change that.

I've also experienced more than a few headaches relating to how their security changes have affected the use of the terminal, since most of my work is done there. None are intractable, of course, but going from 10.6.8 where everything just worked to this has been a hassle.

Phew, that felt like a mild rant.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Did it break all of your ssh keys?
    No, and I have a bunch set up for various things (probably 6-7). It was fine.

Cool, will give it a shot this weekend. Thanks!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I use my macbook (12" retina, 2015) and imac (27", 2011) casually, mostly for web browsing, email, documents, etc. Sierra was a non-event. I had to tell Siri to shut the fuck up.... that was it.

Also - update your shit. Always. Unless you give zero fucks about your information security.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Also - update your shit. Always. Unless you give zero fucks about your information security.
    Yeah, this. It's sad/funny to see people complaining or acting skeptical about updates... follow the known exploits for your OS. The attitude that "it works for me so I can keep it this way" is dangerously wrong with software, as annoying as that is.