Page 87 of 247 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 6172
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I had a punchy climb last night and the hub made a horrible "ting" sound. I thought it was gone at that moment. Thankfully I have a 350 in my garage waiting. I just haven't switched the cassette, brake, and tire over to it yet.
    Are the hub dimensions the same (ergo spoke lenghts)?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I was out riding a trail today that I ride about once a week. HKP if anyone is familiar with Truckee. This trail has many jumps. All was well until I rounded a corner carrying speed for the very last jump, which was built up against a boulder and not too big, but needs some speed. There was a log in the usual approach to the jump, which I thought was odd, but I was able to veer around the log easily enough. Now that I was no longer distracted by the log, and now about five feet away from the jump, I realized someone had removed all of the dirt from the jump, and now all that was left was a flat faced boulder maybe 20" high. I smacked it dead on. After readjusting brake and shifter levers, and realigning the handlebars, I realized the fork stanchions are now toast. Called Fox, got a price on the new part, but figured since I still haven't gotten around to servicing my fork (quarantine project that never happened), I might as well have Fox do that. And since they happen to be able to swap to the new 2021 damper, what the hell? So now I'm in it for about $650. At least Fox is close and it should only cost me a couple rides.
    For the life of me I can't figure out who would have decided to remove this jump and why, so if anyone in the Truckee area knows, please spill the beans. Like many of the better trails in the area, this one isn't full legit, so can't just go ask the local trail org WTF?.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was at Costco yesterday and watched a lady wearing a mask pull the mask down so that she could sneeze with no attempt to cover the sneeze in any way. Mind-blowing...

All of my life, I've tried to react with civility. Lately, I am more inclined to just let go on a lite WTF comment. Not dropping the hammer on the head, but maybe a toe or two...

Like the woman at the grocery store who left her cart perfectly positioned to back up all of the otherwise patiently waiting retirees. she's fondling a variety of veggies, coughs, then continues. Totally clueless to the need for distancing, masking, coughing and touching. About a dozen old folks starting to spin out.

I said something. Like a Dam Buster.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 07-16-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: wait, what, this is bike shit? my bad...

I'm at my truck, getting ready to ride when a car with NY plates pulls up with a 4 clueless looking people. One dude asks me if its okay to hike the biking trails. The trails are open to anyone with the exception of 2 directional jump/flow trails. I reply with a "Sure you can hike here, but you need to watch out for riders and stay off the trails signed "Bikes Only."

Fast forward about an hour and I'm riding a flow trail clearly signed "Bikes Only" at the entrance and exit. I'm coming out of a berm and guess who is just hanging out in the middle of the next jump? The same fucking dude and his 3 pals who I just told to stay off the goddamn "bikes only" trails. One guys says, "Its all good man!" as he jumps out of the way. No man, it's not all good. Who are these people and why are they allowed to leave their house?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Are the hub dimensions the same (ergo spoke lenghts)?
    I don't know. I have a whole new wheel with the 350.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I'm at my truck, getting ready to ride when a car with NY plates pulls up with a 4 clueless looking people. One dude asks me if its okay to hike the biking trails. The trails are open to anyone with the exception of 2 directional jump/flow trails. I reply with a "Sure you can hike here, but you need to watch out for riders and stay off the trails signed "Bikes Only."

Fast forward about an hour and I'm riding a flow trail clearly signed "Bikes Only" at the entrance and exit. I'm coming out of a berm and guess who is just hanging out in the middle of the next jump? The same fucking dude and his 3 pals who I just told to stay off the goddamn "bikes only" trails. One guys says, "Its all good man!" as he jumps out of the way. No man, it's not all good. Who are these people and why are they allowed to leave their house?
    Happening at our ski area too with directional trails. Clueless people hiking up DH trails with their dogs and whole family that specifically state Bikes Only. I say fuck 'em and run them over. No great loss to society if we take out a few idiots, they won't learn anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Happening at our ski area too with directional trails. Clueless people hiking up DH trails with their dogs and whole family that specifically state Bikes Only. I say fuck 'em and run them over. No great loss to society if we take out a few idiots, they won't learn anyways.
    Running them over hurts though. And blowing a rim when you're ramming it into some idiot's ass probably isn't as satisfying as it sounds...

Even worse than clueless hikers on directional bike trails are clueless fucking bikers going the wrong way on directional trails. I saw a bunch last year in Park City on a newly designated uphill-only trail and figured it was the force of habit and they'd get over it. Nope. Bunch of assholes doing the same thing this season and being all fucking defiant about it, staring me down as if I they dared me to say something so we can fight about it. They've all been slow-as-shit beaters that I could see coming from 2 switchbacks away so it hasn't been a problem but WTF is the point when there are other trails within 30 seconds that are equally good and not directional? Probably the same breed of morons who think being asked to wear a mask is somehow a violation of constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I’ll write a letter saying I’ll never spend a dime there. I’ve always wanted to head up your way but haven’t had the time and this isn’t the year. Fuck anyone taking a vacation (that isn’t self sufficient) right now.
    They are probably packed from all the tourons who planned a vacation to Glacier, but did not realize that the Blackfeet Tribe closed down the entire Eastern side of the park. Most people can't bothered to enjoy the park more than 30 ft. from their car seat, so what else to do but zipline! I bet that the owners of Whitefish are benefiting mightily right now from this arrangement.

Hopefully the Glacier tourism will die down a little once people realize that the closures aren't going to rescind anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I was out riding a trail today that I ride about once a week. HKP if anyone is familiar with Truckee. This trail has many jumps. All was well until I rounded a corner carrying speed for the very last jump, which was built up against a boulder and not too big, but needs some speed. There was a log in the usual approach to the jump, which I thought was odd, but I was able to veer around the log easily enough. Now that I was no longer distracted by the log, and now about five feet away from the jump, I realized someone had removed all of the dirt from the jump, and now all that was left was a flat faced boulder maybe 20" high. I smacked it dead on. After readjusting brake and shifter levers, and realigning the handlebars, I realized the fork stanchions are now toast. Called Fox, got a price on the new part, but figured since I still haven't gotten around to servicing my fork (quarantine project that never happened), I might as well have Fox do that. And since they happen to be able to swap to the new 2021 damper, what the hell? So now I'm in it for about $650. At least Fox is close and it should only cost me a couple rides.
    For the life of me I can't figure out who would have decided to remove this jump and why, so if anyone in the Truckee area knows, please spill the beans. Like many of the better trails in the area, this one isn't full legit, so can't just go ask the local trail org WTF?.
    Ask the Truckee Dirt Union guys. I almost did the same thing on HKP. Such an innocuous little jump at the end - hard to understand why anyone would ruin it.
    sproing!

Similar rant^^^

We have a bunch of land around my neighborhood in Truckee that is ostensibly privately-owned, but is just unused forest land. People have been recreating and building a network of mellow trails in those woods since the 70s. Recently, a local kid (guessing) built an awesome set of jumps - 4 in a row, followed by a chicane, a hip jump, into a bermy section with a couple more jumps, and two finishing jumps above my paygrade (30+ foot gaps). Our neighborhood trails are flat and not technical so this was a great change.

Went out for an after-dinner lap, and someone (presumably the private landowner...who does not use the land for anything) obliterated every jump. ARGH.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    someone (presumably the private landowner...who does not use the land for anything) obliterated every jump. ARGH.
    Liability issue? Even if they never set foot on their land the likelihood that some dildo is going to case one of the jumps, rip his dong/her labia off, and sue the landowner is a real concern...
    Not that I'm advocating for any type of feature removal wherever it's built but I can understand where the landowner is coming from (if they're responsible for the removal).

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Running them over hurts though. And blowing a rim when you're ramming it into some idiot's ass probably isn't as satisfying as it sounds....
    Is that why it’s called a rim job?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Liability issue? Even if they never set foot on their land the likelihood that some dildo is going to case one of the jumps, rip his dong/her labia off, and sue the landowner is a real concern...
    Not that I'm advocating for any type of feature removal wherever it's built but I can understand where the landowner is coming from (if they're responsible for the removal).
    Possibly - but, if that is the landowner's reasoning, that is just bad lawyering and not smart. They have trails all over the property already. And, in California, there is a broad immunity for private landowners when others enter their land to recreate. See https://www.sierrasun.com/opinion/la...ile-on-trails/ If liability really was their concern, they could put up a few signs (cost $5-20) and BOOM, no liability. Operating the heavy machinery they used to completely obliterate the jumps, as well as dig enormous trenches (4-5 feet deep!) across the trail, surely cost a lot more than that, and plus generated lots of ill will in the community.

ETA: your post was hilarious, and spot on for the landowner's "thinking."
    sproing!

Possibly - but, if that is the landowner's reasoning, that is just bad lawyering and not smart. They have trails all over the property already. And, in California, there is a broad immunity for private landowners when others enter their land to recreate. See https://www.sierrasun.com/opinion/la...ile-on-trails/ If liability really was their concern, they could put up a few signs (cost $5-20) and BOOM, no liability. Operating the heavy machinery they used to completely obliterate the jumps, as well as dig enormous trenches (4-5 feet deep!) across the trail, surely cost a lot more than that, and plus generated lots of ill will in the community.

ETA: your post was hilarious, and spot on for the landowner's "thinking."
    That's pretty cool that you can add signage, but I do wonder if there could still be liability for the owner if the signs were not properly posted or fell down or whatever. Some dbag attorney would try like hell to prove the guy f'd up somehow. So if this guy is just a normal joe, nonbiker, his attorney would probably advise him to get rid of any potential liability.

Here is similar, but if there are known structures (and owner is made aware...which seems tough to prove in many cases) then liability kicks in for landowner.

The fastest way to drawn unneeded attention to an unsanctioned trail network is to build a set of huge jumps or wooden features. You might get away with it for years if the network is kinda low key. Build some huge doubles and bam... here come the dozers. Seen it way to may times, all over the place.

Could be more to it than liability though. Even if the land owner doesn't plan to build or can't build homes in that area they could still be setting it aside for preservation or to sell as a mitigation bank to offset development elsewhere. If so they want it to be as pristine as possible as they'll get a higher value for it. People don't view big jump lines the same way they look at typical xc or hiking trails.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    That's pretty cool that you can add signage, but I do wonder if there could still be liability for the owner if the signs were not properly posted or fell down or whatever. Some dbag attorney would try like hell to prove the guy f'd up somehow. So if this guy is just a normal joe, nonbiker, his attorney would probably advise him to get rid of any potential liability.

Here is similar, but if there are known structures (and owner is made aware...which seems tough to prove in many cases) then liability kicks in for landowner.
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    The fastest way to drawn unneeded attention to an unsanctioned trail network is to build a set of huge jumps or wooden features. You might get away with it for years if the network is kinda low key. Build some huge doubles and bam... here come the dozers. Seen it way to may times, all over the place.

Could be more to it than liability though. Even if the land owner doesn't plan to build or can't build homes in that area they could still be setting it aside for preservation or to sell as a mitigation bank to offset development elsewhere. If so they want it to be as pristine as possible as they'll get a higher value for it. People don't view big jump lines the same way they look at typical xc or hiking trails.
    Good points evdog and jackstraw.

This landowner has had 2 or 3 developments proposals to put 100-200 homes in this area. 3-4 years ago the owners had closed off access to decades-old trails on the property, significantly shrinking the neighborhood trail network.

I bet less than 50 people knew about these jumps. Other than those, this was not a destination riding locations.

Personally, I despite the cult of private property ownership; don't tell my clients I'm a devotee of Woody G!
    sproing!

Well, it is private land so its hard to get too steamed if the owner doesn't want shit built on it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sure I guess. It's totally undeveloped, owned by an absentee landowner, with literally zero improvements. As far as I can tell, the only thing the landowner has ever done is bulldoze trails and close off access.

If you have hundreds of acres of undeveloped forest land, surely a couple of trails can't be a big deal. Let us kids play!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Is that why it’s called a rim job?
    /rimshot

Sure I guess. It's totally undeveloped, owned by an absentee landowner, with literally zero improvements. As far as I can tell, the only thing the landowner has ever done is bulldoze trails and close off access.

If you have hundreds of acres of undeveloped forest land, surely a couple of trails can't be a big deal. Let us kids play!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

make 'em an offer for the land? then, when you own it you can do what ever you want with it....

Aside from the liability, the owner may be worried that having people use the trails may result in increased opposition to development in the future. It's happened before - people get used to using the trails and when the owner decides to develop there's an outcry, public hearings, etc.. Eventually the owner gives up and sells to the land trust for far less than the development would have been worth. (Good outcome for the community, but bad for the owner.)

Yeah, some of that. When I lived in PC I helped build a ton of unsanctioned trails, all on private property.

Every summer I would invariably be riding a favorite only to come to a home-site smack dab across what had been one on MY trails.

Now days that place has lots of great sanctioned trails, progress I guess.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

The liability issue varies from state to state. Basic protection from accidents while recreating is common, but plenty of statutes include language that gives rise to liability if the landowner creates / allows a particularly dangerous condition. Most of the cases I've seen about that are things like chain gates across roads or trails that clothesline some recreational user. But there's a pretty easy argument to be made that a landowner allowing big jumps to exist falls into that liability exception (although, again, the ease of that argument will vary depending on the specific language of the statute). I've never heard of a bike feature situation being litigated, but I know of plenty of landowners that really don't want to be the test case.

Ask the Truckee Dirt Union guys. I almost did the same thing on HKP. Such an innocuous little jump at the end - hard to understand why anyone would ruin it.
    Yeah, I don't know any of those dudes personally, but see them on the trails occasionally. I did notice some recent work on some berms, so it looks like they've been putting in work (seems like they usually get after it more spring and fall), but I would be surprised if it was them tearing down a jump, unless maybe they're just planning to reshape it or make it bigger and just haven't completed it yet. That's about the only thing that kinda makes sense to me.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Not sure how anyone can complain about a land owner removing trails from their property that weren’t built with their agreement. Doesn’t matter if they are ‘using’ it for anything or not. There are a lot of places with trails on private property, built by groups who worked with the owners to get permission to do so, and within guidelines as to what is acceptable to the owner.