Page 2 of 238 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Bros in bike shops that tell my wife she doesn't need the pedals she came in for, she doesn't need such a big bike she is test riding (do you get rad? was an actual question after picking a test bike), and question her when she goes into the store to buy downhill tires. Shut the fuck up and just give her the tire. And the dumb bro that handed off her dream bike she just bought (I think it his name was Jason at backcountry.com, it was on the order) like he was handing her a bag of dog food. So much for sharing the stoke, bro, or even offering to set it up a little bit for her.

The nice cool ones are amazing and worth every penny of their paycheck, don't get me wrong. I use them often instead of spending hours online doing research and lean on them heavily!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Bailing wire. Or if you go by Nancy or Betty or something, just add a twist tie to your tool kit. (Use it to keep the two halves of your spare link together.) Either way, wrap wire around rollers/rivets on either end of link. Bring wire halves together at middle-top and twist them around a tool (or maybe each other, if using thick wire) twist tool to increase tension until link pops.
    Nice! We always manage to get it done, but it's a pia. This is a good tip.

And wtf is nancy or betty all about?

Santa Cruz pivots. You spend 6k on a bike and it's squeaky right out of the box. It's all over the internet they need to be lubed and they still send them out dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Interrupted cable housing. Why?
    less friction
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Nice! We always manage to get it done, but it's a pia. This is a good tip.

And wtf is nancy or betty all about?
    Real men always own some bailing wire, of course. That and duct tape can fix anything. I actually do have a piece of bailing wire that I've used for this with pliers in my garage, but I've only carried that with me in extreme paranoia because it really needs pliers to work. I haven't had to use the twist tie on the trail yet, but that seems a little easier to deal with, as long as it doesn't slip off the rollers. I suppose string could work, too, but a rubber-coated twist tie seems easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Santa Cruz pivots. You spend 6k on a bike and it's squeaky right out of the box. It's all over the internet they need to be lubed and they still send them out dry.
    Yeah, that is what my rusty bolts and washers bitch is about. But the bike is pretty awesome overall.

Real men always own some bailing wire, of course. That and duct tape can fix anything. I actually do have a piece of bailing wire that I've used for this with pliers in my garage, but I've only carried that with me in extreme paranoia because it really needs pliers to work. I haven't had to use the twist tie on the trail yet, but that seems a little easier to deal with, as long as it doesn't slip off the rollers. I suppose string could work, too, but a rubber-coated twist tie seems easiest.
    I carry a leatherman style tool and that is what we use currently. Thankfully we've only had one chain break this season...which I shouldn't have said as we're riding tonight...knocking on wood. Tires are our biggest issue with the granite techy shite.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    less friction
    Less friction for about 2 rides until a bunch of dirt works its way in there.

I suppose string could work, too, but a rubber-coated twist tie seems easiest.
    Small zip tie?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Less friction for about 2 rides until a bunch of dirt works its way in there.
    Exactly. I'm done bothering with it. The routing is probably going to look like shit since I won't have proper attachment points but I don't care. I'm tired of having my shifting go to shit and replacing all my housing multiple times per season. Shit makes no sense on mountain bikes.

Press fit BB's - back to threaded already please!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Two piece brake rotors that are four times the cost and eight times more likely to bend out of true if looked at wrong. I definitely got suckered into the marketing there....
    You try carbon rotors yet?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Bros in bike shops...
    One of my (least) favorite exchanges was with a shop guy about road bikes.

Me: "What new higher end road bikes are you carrying right now?"
    Bro: "Yea, road bikes are cool, but have you ever thought about getting a cruiser?"
    Me: <blank stare> "...Huh?"

Small zip ?
    Probably works, too, but I haven't tried one yet. Get a zip tie on tight and you could probably add tension by slipping a tool under and twisting it out.

I actually like having a twist tie for trail repairs just because they're more easily re-used than zip-ties, which is sometimes useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    One of my (least) favorite exchanges was with a shop guy about road bikes.

Me: "What new higher end road bikes are you carrying right now?"
    Bro: "Yea, road bikes are cool, but have you ever thought about getting a cruiser?"
    Me: <blank stare> "...Huh?"
    Geez, what were you wearing that day? ha.

The price of a new bike with decent parts on it. Fucking absurd.

Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    (do you get rad? was an actual question after picking a test bike),
    I'd like to rant about the complete lack of this question getting asked to me in bike shops.

Seriously, I'd pay extra for that. It would be so worth it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

fucking reverbs.
    My one-month old warranty replacement remote on my two month old warranty replacement reverb started leaking oil. And then the reverb on my wife's bike, which was fine when last ridden, managed to develop a bit of suspension action while just hanging out in the garage. And this is a post with 20 rides on it tops.

The pinched nerve in my neck that has kept me from being able to ride since mid August. Soon as I try my whole left arm goes numb. And can I mention chiropractors that that babble on on about esoteric metaphysical shit instead of just straightening me out?

Snow on the ground and the ski lifts spinning have stopped me from riding my bike.
    Oh wait, this is a ski forum and I have bitched all summer waiting for ski season.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    It's been pretty quiet in here since Damien went all aboard the trump train.
    Awwwww!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    The price of a new bike with decent parts on it. Fucking absurd.
    Pricing on complete bikes is pretty out of control these days. Custom is really the way to go:

Frame: $1000
    Fork: $500
    Wheels/tires: $500
    Groupo: $500-$1000
    Cockpit w/dropper: $500

That's a pretty high end bike for $2500 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Pricing on complete bikes is pretty out of control these days. Custom is really the way to go:

Frame: $1000
    Fork: $500
    Wheels/tires: $500
    Groupo: $500-$1000
    Cockpit w/dropper: $500

That's a pretty high end bike for $2500 or so.
    If you add up your pricing it's $3000-$3500 you retard.

Math is hard. I'd also love to know what "high-end" frame/shock combo you can get new for $1,000.

[IMG] I'd also love to know what "high-end" frame/shock combo you can get new for $1,000.
    A hardtail?

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

Tires that last more than few hundred miles would be nice. My car tires are almost as much as my bike tires and they last 40,000 miles.