Page 62 of 80 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1988

Thread: Wildlife

They're moving closer to people to get away from the wuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Found some grizzly tracks today.
    Or maybe a sasquatch
    Attachment 431875

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    They're moving closer to people to get away from the wuffs.
    Actually might be some truth to this in our area. The wolf packs have been growing in NE Washington and are spreading further south and west than just the far corner of the state. I know we have some packs within 50 miles of Spokane and their population is growing in the range of 15-25% per year. That's pushing them to follow their food supply which definitely consists of moose as a staple.

I'm okay with the moose sightings but am not too anxious to run across wolves while out solo riding. Where we live is in pretty prime moose, deer, and coyote environs as we abut a river natural area so I imagine that when the wolves do arrive, we'll be neighbors.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 11-01-2022 at 05:41 PM.

I'm more scared of Bullwinkle than any bear or wuff.

Yeah, with good reason. It's been a bit disconcerting when I've gotten so close before seeing them.

I'm more scared of Bullwinkle than any bear or wuff.
    That's the second time I've heard that on TGR recently. Strange take to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    That's the second time I've heard that on TGR recently. Strange take to me.
    Spend some time on YouTube watching a moose stomp the shit out of a garbage can that looked at it wrong and it'll make more sense.

I'd make an exception for grizzlies worrying me a bit more than a moose but every black bear and wolf I've been around wanted nothing to do with me. Moose are like the honey badger of the ungulate world. Except for what seem to be 12" cast iron skillets for hooves.

And this time of year they are in rut and all drunk on fermented ground fruits

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Spend some time on YouTube watching a moose stomp the shit out of a garbage can that looked at it wrong and it'll make more sense.

I'd make an exception for grizzlies worrying me a bit more than a moose but every black bear and wolf I've been around wanted nothing to do with me. Moose are like the honey badger of the ungulate world. Except for what seem to be 12" cast iron skillets for hooves.
    Yeah, I'm thinking Grizz specifically as I spend a lot of time in their backyard. Grizz = bear, and he said any bear.

Yep, grizz included. Grizz generally avoid people unless they get surprised or there's food involved. Moose would like to stomp people flat just for shits and giggles.

Yep, grizz included. Grizz generally avoid people unless they get surprised or there's food involved. Moose would like to stomp people flat just for shits and giggles.
    I don’t want to jinx myself, and there was a moose attack recently outside of Driggs, but I’ve come across hundreds of moose and all have either ignored me or run.

Maybe provide a list of fatal moose attacks in NA for comparisons sake?

Even outside the rut and rotten fruit season, an adult moose should be give a wide berth. Next spring for shits and giggles when you see a cow with a new calf, send out a wolf howl from cover and see how passively she vacates the neighbourhood. I performed this foolish prank once in the woods. Momma charged 200+m through dense riparian shrub looking for the ‘wolf’. She stopped short when she saw me at about 25m, but she took her time returning to her calf.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don’t want to jinx myself, and there was a moose attack recently outside of Driggs, but I’ve come across hundreds of moose and all have either ignored me or run.

Maybe provide a list of fatal moose attacks in NA for comparisons sake?
    I don't have those numbers but Moose have always seemed more honked off by my presence than bears. I'm sure some biologist could give numbers to prove me wrong, and I'm not really looking to get into any TGR pissing match.

While I'm more wary of moose, I'm pretty freaked out personally by the thought of dealing with an angry/surprised grizz. And that's coming from someone who spent a lot of years surfing and abalone diving, often alone, yet comfortably in some pretty spooky and sharky NorCal waters.

Moose just seem to me to just hate the sight of people.

I don't have any issues with black bears. Grizzly, different story. We don't have grizz in our immediate area and have to go north about 60 miles or so to get into their habitat so where I ride, no problem. Black bears seem to be just as much or more anxious to get away than me when I've run into them. Also, having had black bears around since I was a kid, I'm much more used to those encounters. Moose though, can be very nasty if they're in a bad mood.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ...I performed this foolish prank once in the woods. Momma charged 200+m through dense riparian shrub looking for the ‘wolf’...
    TIL... will heed to this advice

Moose = easily triggered

.....JH, early 90’s - coming off the hill. Working our way hard left from Rendezvous – squeezing vert at the end of a blue bird day. Coming in to the end of Werner/Teewinot and there is/was a few stands of conifer that split the trails. 2 of us are trying to maintain speed and I look up and there’s a Big Cow in a copse. There is a Cat headed out from the outlet of tweewinot. I guess she felt boxed in. Came straight up hill for me. I turn left, she turns left, I turn right, she turns right, I turn left and closing fast. She holds her line and we ski-phkn-daddle. Maybe 15’ from her final charge.

Guy in the Cat calls us out as he’s rolling up the east side. I stop to chat him up and figure out what his angst was all about. He gets right into me about not harassing the Mooz. Dude!!! What made you think I wanted anything to do with that bulldozer goin 20mph?

I live in the Jersey Alps within a high concentration of the 5000 black bear here; on a cool convective northslope that has been the ideal habitat long before we got here. Close encounters 4/5 days a week. My place is in the daily feed path for two Sows that dropped 9 cubs this year and having been here a little bit, seeing the 2yr olds fend for themselves for the first time is comical.

NJ canceled/halted the annual bear hunt indefinitely - Pro Bear isn’t the popular stance among the trophy steez - phqum

Look dead at them passively and do what they tell you to do. I hike and ride strapped with spray (level 5 holster). Getting caught in-between mom and a cub is never good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	432062

This guy comes by work just about every day. Has had a few thanksgiving meals from a dumpster. He stamps his front feet and acts all ornery if I interrupt.

A couple of times I have had a visitor right into a warehouse. Stand on their hind legs and have a look around at the overhead door in the summer.

Best encounter this year… neighbor orders uber eats pizza and the driver drops the box at the front door and doesn’t ring the bell. I walk out of my place and bam - “Henry”, a chunky 5/6yr old didn’t want to share.

Name:	Bear 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	432069

Nothing but Long distance from a Grizz – predatory alpha dog no doubt
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Found some grizzly tracks today.
    Or maybe a sasquatch

Name:	DSC00088.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	432107

Stingray chilling.

Big ole flock (heard?) of turkeys crossing the road this afternoon. Must have been a dozen or more.
    Name:  20221105_164450-01.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  122.6 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Google says it’s called a rafter of turkeys. Who knew.

Must be rural turks; urbans don't travel in groups less than 30, and they're called gangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Google says it’s called a rafter of turkeys. Who knew.
    when did they start giving a different name to every different group of animals?

‘Murder’ of crows is the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    TIL... will heed to this advice

Moose = easily triggered

.....JH, early 90’s - coming off the hill. Working our way hard left from Rendezvous – squeezing vert at the end of a blue bird day. Coming in to the end of Werner/Teewinot and there is/was a few stands of conifer that split the trails. 2 of us are trying to maintain speed and I look up and there’s a Big Cow in a copse. There is a Cat headed out from the outlet of tweewinot. I guess she felt boxed in. Came straight up hill for me. I turn left, she turns left, I turn right, she turns right, I turn left and closing fast. She holds her line and we ski-phkn-daddle. Maybe 15’ from her final charge.

Guy in the Cat calls us out as he’s rolling up the east side. I stop to chat him up and figure out what his angst was all about. He gets right into me about not harassing the Mooz. Dude!!! What made you think I wanted anything to do with that bulldozer goin 20mph?

I live in the Jersey Alps within a high concentration of the 5000 black bear here; on a cool convective northslope that has been the ideal habitat long before we got here. Close encounters 4/5 days a week. My place is in the daily feed path for two Sows that dropped 9 cubs this year and having been here a little bit, seeing the 2yr olds fend for themselves for the first time is comical.

NJ canceled/halted the annual bear hunt indefinitely - Pro Bear isn’t the popular stance among the trophy steez - phqum

Look dead at them passively and do what they tell you to do. I hike and ride strapped with spray (level 5 holster). Getting caught in-between mom and a cub is never good.

Name:	Bear 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	432062

This guy comes by work just about every day. Has had a few thanksgiving meals from a dumpster. He stamps his front feet and acts all ornery if I interrupt.

A couple of times I have had a visitor right into a warehouse. Stand on their hind legs and have a look around at the overhead door in the summer.

Best encounter this year… neighbor orders uber eats pizza and the driver drops the box at the front door and doesn’t ring the bell. I walk out of my place and bam - “Henry”, a chunky 5/6yr old didn’t want to share.

Name:	Bear 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	432069

Nothing but Long distance from a Grizz – predatory alpha dog no doubt
    John McPhee wrote a great essay about bears in NJ. “A Textbook Place for Bears”. Wonderful, I bet you’d enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    when did they start giving a different name to every different group of animals?
    Are you okay?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Are you okay?

Made me laugh.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda