Page 142 of 167 FirstFirst ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 4158
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    FYI Jenson has a sale on Maxxis rubber. Most sizes/compound for $64.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Solid, thank you. Tire dilemma resolved

Level9 Sports has good deals on tires too. I picked up a Conti Kryptotal in DH/SuperSoft for $50. They’ve got Xynotal too.

Good looking out on the Conti deals. Picked up 2 SuperSoft fronts and a SuperSoft Rear to try as a front. Enduro Soft Rear my favorite rear currently, comparable to DD DHR2 MaxTerra.

Was trying to hold out for the teased SuperSoft Kryptotal Fronts in lighter casings but couldn't wait any longer.

Still haven't tried a Xynotal rear, got one on deck for dry season. Enduro Soft. Hoping for similar performance to Dissector with better off-camber bite.

Anyone able to compare eddy current vs assegai in a Maxx Terra 3c exo 2.6?

Use: front tire

Actual experience preferred.

Considering cutting the intermediate knobs on the assman vs getting an eddy current. Riding northeast rocks, roots, hardpack, and bike park.

Considering the tires for long travel ebike and dh bike.

Thx!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but my buddy just cut the int. knobs on an Assyguy and now deems it acceptable. He was not digging it prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Not exactly what you’re looking for, but my buddy just cut the int. knobs on an Assyguy and now deems it acceptable. He was not digging it prior to that.

Joe that's funny. Because 'your buddy' texted me a picture of the assman with intermediate knobs cut out yesterday ! Spurred my thoughts about the eddy current.

The assman seems a bit vague to me. I'm torn, though, because the intermediate knobs might be helping with grip on tight track where there isn't enough room to lean the bike over. But I'm not smart enough to figure that out.

I bet roxtar will call me when he wakes up this morning and yell at me for considering mutilating the assman into a dhf.

After much thought and deliberation, I am going to increase the tire pressure of the assguy and see how it turns. I've been running 22psi with cush core. Going to try 26 then 24 today and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    It was from NSMB: How to cure your 2006 riding posture.

https://nsmb.com/articles/cure-your-...cone-training/
    Thanks for sharing that article. I’ve noticed on my newer/longer/slacker bike how more more effective it is to have my legs less bent and body more upright/forward. The long front center and better suspension both allow and demand a different position than was viable on the shorter bikes. When I fall back to old habits, getting crunched up with butt lower, further back and legs more crouched I notice immediately how much less control I have - specifically front wheel traction and the ability to find grip and remain balanced on loose corners. It feels very analogous to getting back seat while skiing with very similar outcomes. A side benefit is that it is a less fatiguing position for legs/lower back, and I have more range in my legs to either generate speed in rolling sections by pumping or absorb an unexpected impact. So updating technique is not just for newer/younger/stronger riders (I am not so much one) and it can help you make the most of whatever base strength/skill level you have.

Consider if you rode yer old 26er like that ^^ you would be face surfing the trail so there is a certain amount of self preservation going on but the new geo handles it, I also slam my seat all the way forward on the rails

While there is probaby a north shore every where North Vancover was the very birthplace of freeride, lately NSMB was has been coming out with some good artcials
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I bet roxtar will call me when he wakes up this morning and yell at me for considering mutilating the assman into a dhf.
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
    Are you seriously considering butchering the only decent front tire Maxxis ever made and turning it into some frankendhf abomination.
    Why stop there? Plenty of other things you can "fix"; the Mona Lisa could use a mustache, eight ball shift knob, roller bead seatcovers, and blue trucknuts on your Aston Martin Vantage, a nice bathtub flower box and used tire fencing for your front yard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

New Season, New Tires, New Thread

Interesting re:ass guy knob mutilation. That’s what came on my bike and I was sure I’d hate it, but it’s been fine. Little vague, definitely more unplanned drift than a DHF, but super predictable so not a big deal, and kinda fun to meathead it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
    Are you seriously considering butchering the only decent front tire Maxxis ever made and turning it into some frankendhf abomination.
    Why stop there? Plenty of other things you can "fix"; the Mona Lisa could use a mustache, eight ball shift knob, roller bead seatcovers, and blue trucknuts on your Aston Martin Vantage, a nice bathtub flower box and used tire fencing for your front yard?
    Minnaar himself has been known to run them with the transition knobs cut, at least sometimes.

When I had a dhf with a stock rear rekon I wondered about trimming down all the knobs because the grip was so unbalanced. A "mini DHF" might be a neat tire for some uses but I suppose there's plenty of other stuff that fits the bill. And I wound up just getting a better rear tire.

these guys get the tires free and they know what they are doing

or they wouldn't be getting the tires fo free
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    When I had a dhf with a stock rear rekon I wondered about trimming down all the knobs because the grip was so unbalanced. A "mini DHF" might be a neat tire for some uses but I suppose there's plenty of other stuff that fits the bill. And I wound up just getting a better rear tire.
    "Mini DHF" YES PLEASE! For light trail use, seems like rear tires are pretty easy to figure out. Rekon, Forekaster, Ground Control etc.. Front tire might take trying more options get it really dialed in.

For my hardtail build, trying out a Eliminator T7 2.3 Front, Ground Control T7 2.35 Rear (they were cheap)

Turns out REI is selling Maxxis, Continental, and Vittoria at the same price as JensonUSA

Ordered some spares for the stash. Pickup in Denver flagship store when I go down to pick up some fresh fentanyl to bring back to Summit County

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Turns out REI is selling Maxxis, Continental, and Vittoria at the same price as JensonUSA
    Nice. REI had some of the Maxxis unicorns that are impossible to find.

Reflection: after being a mindless DHF/DHRII devotee on multiple bikes, a new to me Spire wound up in my hands last fall. It came with a Magic Mary / Big Betty combo (trail casing, "soft" compound).

I found them to be far more durable and less prone to flatting than Exo casing, but easier to pedal than the DD casing I've come to rely on. Cornering is excellent, braking solid. Slightly less of a riding on rails feeling that the DHR gives, but still excellent corner knob support and grip.

I just ordered another Betty to replace the current one, and will plan to replace the Mary too.

Turns out my love for Bettys and Marys is just as true for tires as it is for humans.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Reflection: after being a mindless DHF/DHRII devotee on multiple bikes, a new to me Spire wound up in my hands last fall. It came with a Magic Mary / Big Betty combo (trail casing, "soft" compound).
    Given the snowpack, where have you been testing?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

I found them to be far more durable and less prone to flatting than Exo casing, but easier to pedal than the DD casing I've come to rely on. Cornering is excellent, braking solid. Slightly less of a riding on rails feeling that the DHR gives, but still excellent corner knob support and grip.

I just ordered another Betty to replace the current one, and will plan to replace the Mary too.

Turns out my love for Bettys and Marys is just as true for tires as it is for humans.
    The trail casing schwalbes weigh about the same as a double down maxxis, so it's not too surprising that they're more durable than an exo. An exo DHF is around 200 grams lighter than a super trail magic mary.

But generally agreed - the MM / Big Betty combo is solid. I'll still take minions given the option (I find the schwalbes to be a little vague at their cornering limits), but I won't take the schwalbes off if they come on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Nice. REI had some of the Maxxis unicorns that are impossible to find.
    I just got an email one of my maxxis tires is out of stock and they canceled that tire from the order.

I'm having trouble finding my tire of choice in desired compound in any width that isn't 2.6. Kind of a bummer for rolling resistance and heft. Same tire in stickier compound is available in 2.4. What's going to roll faster? Application is summer hardpack and moon dust..

My priorities would be (1) size/width, (2) casing, (3) compound. Actually (2) model/tread, (3) casing, (4) compound. Don’t go 2.6 if you don’t have wider rims, you’ll feel like you are on a balloon and get tire roll.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I'm having trouble finding my tire of choice in desired compound in any width that isn't 2.6. Kind of a bummer for rolling resistance and heft. Same tire in stickier compound is available in 2.4. What's going to roll faster? Application is summer hardpack and moon dust..
    what are you looking for? What are you usually riding on hardpack and moon dust?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Depends on the tire.

I'd say a 2.6 DHF maxxterra is about the same slowness as a 2.5 DHF maxxgrip. 2.6 is maybe a little worse.

Maxxgrip is fine on a front tire. It feels pretty slow to me on the rear for any bike that gets pedaled a lot. Personally, I won't put 2.6's on anything but the moped.

Same thought process for other brands, although some other brand's soft rubber is faster / less soft than maxxis.