Page 165 of 167 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4158
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, I ride all the steep Front Range trails and almost always use a Butcher (T9) front and Eliminator (T7) rear... I find it's a great tire combo for 95% of our trail conditions. That said, I'm generally happy with the setup and tend not to overthink tires once I find something that seems to work.

I also liked the Magic Mary / Hans Dampf combo on my enduro bike, but Schwalbe tires are fucking expensive (and although I love the grip of the MM, they're pretty damn slow rolling).
    How's the sizing on the big-S tires run these days, specifically the Butcher/Eliminator combo? Looking to try something different than the 2.4 DHR's on the Hightower...

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    How's the sizing on the big-S tires run these days, specifically the Butcher/Eliminator combo? Looking to try something different than the 2.4 DHR's on the Hightower...
    Their 2.3 is bigger than a Maxxis 2.4. I can get a measurement later this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    IME, the Specialized 2.3" is pretty close to a Maxxis 2.4-2.5 WT while the Spec 2.6" is noticeably bigger.

I don’t recommend Spesh 2.6 unless your rims are at least 33mm. I use Spesh 2.6 at 35mm and it’s great there. It’s pretty balloony and lots of sidewall roll on your typical 29mm trail rim.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yeah, Spec 2.6 is YUUUUGE. Do not get unless you want clown shoe tires.

I'll also say for anyone looking for something DHF-ish, the Butcher really wants to wash out when leaned over on dust over hard. I borrowed a friend's bike (identical to mine, while mine was in shop) who had one and the front wheel was pushing in every single corner. I find it scarier than the DHF because at least on the DHF you can lean it over rapidly and hard to get to a solid side knob (skip past the dead zone). Once the Butcher starts to slide, there's no bite beyond that - either you pull up or the bike's going down.

Yes, Spesh 29 x 2.6 is nice and monster trucky on the appropriate rim

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Disclaimer: I saw this on the socials and know nothing about AliExpress (and not much about most other things either), but...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Their 2.3 is bigger than a Maxxis 2.4. I can get a measurement later this weekend.
    Just measured my 2.3 Slaughter @ 2.34 and a 2.25 GC at 2.26
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Would Dissectors F/R be a good option for a high school racer? Hard to pass up the prices at Planet Cyclery on Maxxis.
    Is he doing NICA? I've ridden most of the courses in Utah which I imagine is similar to the front range and a fast rolling tire with good puncture resistance is what you are after...

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    T9 is grippier. It lands somewhere between maxxis maxxterra and maxxgrip.

Butcher is a fine tire, but it's basically a dhf clone that's slightly worse (it's cheaper though, so the marginal trade off in grip is worth it if you're trying to save some bucks).
    Finally getting around to buying tires. Just noticed I'm on the DHF MaxxTerra. Is the difference in the MaxxGrip noticeable?

Finally getting around to buying tires. Just noticed I'm on the DHF MaxxTerra. Is the difference in the MaxxGrip noticeable?
    Yup. Noticeably more grip on roots and rocks. Doesn't make a huge difference in sand / gravel / loose surfaces. Rolls noticeably slower, and wears faster.

Personally, I like a maxxgrip on the front, maxxterra on the rear. Maxxgrip rear doesn't last long and feels like a chore going uphill. If I find a deal on one, I'll sometimes run maxxgrip on the rear for bikes that don't get pedaled uphill too much.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like there may not be much diff for a front tire on front range.

I run a maxxgrip EXO in front. I don't need a burly casing on a front tire, which is pretty much always rolling. The REAR tire is sliding a lot, so need the sidewall protection (and to prevent snake bites from fat-ass). I get around 1500mi on a DHF maxxgrip in front on my enduro rig, and around 800-1000 in rear with a maxxterra. Maxxgrip in rear would be changing tires every month, and be slow AF to pedal.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like there may not be much diff for a front tire on front range.
    The only time you’d want a Maxxgrip in the FR is if was raining and you were on a bunch of roots. Low odds. Pointy FR rocks and loose shit will kill a MaxxGrip pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    The only time you’d want a Maxxgrip in the FR is if was raining and you were on a bunch of roots. Low odds. Pointy FR rocks and loose shit will kill a MaxxGrip pretty quickly.

Or if you’re going to ride Idaho Springs.
    Or if you’re headed to Angle Fire.

However many are in a shit ton.

I had a sofa king stupid moment putting on new tires. The corner knobs were pretty shredded on my old DHF. I could have sworn I recently replaced it in the fall...must have been planning on replacing it. No wonder I was washing out. New DHF and back at it.

Any XC riders running Spec'd tires? My HS son is looking for a xc tire to race with and I'm seeing some good deals on the Fast Trak or Ground Control - but the Spec site doesn't provide a lot of info. The races are mostly dry, with a mix of hardpack and moondust (Eagle, Steamboat), some loose over hardpack but not technical at all.

I used to run Spec tires all the time, and the sale will get me back on some. Fast Trak is a good tire, both F/R. I don't know the differences between the 5 and 7 designations. Get the Control version for strong sidewalls.

Im heading to Squamish in June. Any tire recommendations outside my DH Kryptotals F/R? Running Super soft up front and Soft out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I used to run Spec tires all the time, and the sale will get me back on some. Fast Trak is a good tire, both F/R. I don't know the differences between the 5 and 7 designations. Get the Control version for strong sidewalls.
    Some really good deals, definitely will be checking them out.

Any XC riders running Spec'd tires? My HS son is looking for a xc tire to race with and I'm seeing some good deals on the Fast Trak or Ground Control - but the Spec site doesn't provide a lot of info. The races are mostly dry, with a mix of hardpack and moondust (Eagle, Steamboat), some loose over hardpack but not technical at all.
    I wouldn't say I'm full-XC but I like to ride fast and on leaner tires. I started running a Ground Control T7 2.35 as my rear on my Izzo last year, with a Dissector 2.4 up front. I'm riding mostly here in the RFV but some Fruita/Moab/Sedona. The bike came with Forekaster v1's and those rolled a bit faster but wore down pretty quick. I've been really happy with the GC's so far and they've shown minimal wear and my climbing times haven't suffered.

I have a buddy who rides GC T5 on his Revel and loves them and feels they have plenty of grip for CO style riding. I think your son grabbing some GC T5's would be In the modern reality of $100+ Maxxis and Schwalbe tires everywhere, sub-$50 Spec's are solid.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm full-XC but I like to ride fast and on leaner tires. I started running a Ground Control T7 2.35 as my rear on my Izzo last year, with a Dissector 2.4 up front. I'm riding mostly here in the RFV but some Fruita/Moab/Sedona. The bike came with Forekaster v1's and those rolled a bit faster but wore down pretty quick. I've been really happy with the GC's so far and they've shown minimal wear and my climbing times haven't suffered.

I have a buddy who rides GC T5 on his Revel and loves them and feels they have plenty of grip for CO style riding. I think your son grabbing some GC T5's would be In the modern reality of $100+ Maxxis and Schwalbe tires everywhere, sub-$50 Spec's are solid.
    Thanks, appreciate the info. He raced state in Glenwood/Cdale last year, so a great comparison. He would shave a little over a pound going from current setup to GC's. Even more with a GC/FT F/R setup. And to your point, much cheaper than an Ardent Race or similar.

I've been running GC front/Slaughter in the rear this season and have been happy with it so far.
    If you need a Spec tire guide: https://www.jensonusa.com/blog/specialized-tire-guide

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I've been running GC front/Slaughter in the rear this season and have been happy with it so far.
    If you need a Spec tire guide: https://www.jensonusa.com/blog/specialized-tire-guide
    Thanks for the link, this is better than the spec site. Ended up getting a pair of GC T5's for the Bailey hundo (loose kitty litter) and a rear Fast Trak for HS race season which is more hard pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Im heading to Squamish in June. Any tire recommendations outside my DH Kryptotals F/R? Running Super soft up front and Soft out the back.
    Assegai/DHR II seems to be the most common choice. For the most part, Squamish trails don’t have particularly jagged rocks, so you could likely get away with EXO+, at least up front.