Page 394 of 599 FirstFirst ... 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 ... LastLast
Results 9,826 to 9,850 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    What year were your 108 and 116s?
    model year 2020 (the current model being 2021). I have not had a lot of time on them (too many skis), something I am planning to remedy this season

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post

I have since sold my wren96tis.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 01-08-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredeagle View Post
    For the record, I think my Woodsman's were 19-20's. But the years kinda blend together these days.

It doesn't look like you are a Big Sky skier from your profile??!!
    Quoted for truth. I hesitate to call them rocks however... more along the lines of dragon scales or shark teeth.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Pretzel is right. My Woodsies were good, but I've had more than one brand new ON3P w/ wonky factory tune. Edges want to engage even going straight.
    Sux to have to retune. Really your edges need rebeveling of base edge
    That’s encouraging. The edges are the furthest thing from sharp. Before I headed out I thought they would be fine. It was so odd they they felt perfect (loose and not hooky) in the 18-24” of PNW mank I skied yesterday and felt like shit on soft groomers. I used a pretty soft gummy, which has worked fine on other skis. Skis would want to lock up and then disengage mid turn. I thought I was going to wreck myself. Looks like I need to make a shop visit. 🤨

I mean, I bought these in the spring before magic mushrooms were legal in Oregon, so I thought the factory tuners would have been more focused.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I use rocks to detune all of my skis, I do it while skiing on a wind-dusted rock pile.
    The Windy Hill? 🤣
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If anyone is interested in a pair of 189 Wren 98’s very lightly used (<15 part days)/ drilled 1x for NTN Freeride pm me. They excel in cut up, leftovers. However, I am potentially looking to move into something less damp and chargey more poppy and lively like an Enforcer 100, BentChet 100, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1610147976.230395.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	356994
    Last edited by mn_teleswede; 01-08-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Sure, if you're at your workbench or ski around with a file in your pocket.
    One of these is actually my preferred tool for deburring and detuning https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...xoCyW0QAvD_BwE
    Yeah, skiing around with a 10" mill bastard file in your pocket is not exactly the safest (or most comfortable) strategy. Before the apocalypse (like ... when I went to ski areas), I'd usually test at an area like A-Basin, where I could get to the car fairly easily. Convenient rocks are also good.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

This type of stone works well for me, compact and efficient.

https://www.swixsport.com/en/accesso...=7045950002707

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I use rocks to detune all of my skis, I do it while skiing on a wind-dusted rock pile.
    Fucking hilarious. Skiing the East I get my detunes el natural.
    Uno mas

This season must be the worst in my 40+ years. Local resorts still have not opened cause there is not enough snow. Closest one a few hours away have opened the shittiest slopes with man-made snow, but it is rough to get access cause of Covid-restrictions (prioritizing those with season pass...fair enough.)

The local store where I bought my bindings finally managed to mount my BG108T after some failed attempts. I will never have anyone mount my skis again even if it's free. I did got compensated ok-ish for the fuck-ups, but having gems like these blemished really hurt.

Anyway; took the them to the closest easy-access mountain from my doorstep. 800 ish meter vertical. Yesterday I upgraded my bike with new studded tires that I wanted to test, so I rode it as far as possible up gravel roads in snowmobile tracks with very little snow and some ice, then swapped to skis once I got to proper snow that wouldn't damage them.

My 184 Bgs weighed in at 1730g on my scale. That is probably not correct, but damn they felt light on my feet with the marker alpinists. Touring has never felt this easy.
    I managed to find a few areas without too many visible rocks and got a couple small windows of "real" skiing. (I really didn't want to scratch them the very first day) Snow was quite wind-affected and it was my first proper skiing attempt the season. Still, they just felt...right. Nothing was strange, nothing felt off, just super intuitive. They pivoted easy, tails released as expected. I have been riding normal BGs in the resorts for some seasons now, so the 108s feeling "right" should be no surprise, but reading the latest few pages with posts about some new skis feeling "off", I was so happy that these just felt like they should. Small, light, BGs
    I will add some more info comparing the two once the season allows it. Maybe after getting some time on the standard BGs again the 108T will feel a little weaker, but as of now I am very, very happy.

Name:	BG1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	357092

Name:	bg2.jpg 
Views:	947 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	357094

Man - they just look soooo good.

Nice to see you got the Izzo too- how is it treating you? I ended up keeping my Jeffsy, and have grown to love it

We are currently getting the second semi decent dump of the season here a bit further south, and better yet - the temperatures have been steady at well below freezing, so not a repeat of the crazy weather we got last year.

I took my woods108s out for a single run today, but they were too much ski for my left knee. Somewhat ironically Völkl Mantra 102s were not - they are not the demanding über killers some claim they are, so I skied the rest of the half day on them. I also just finished mounting up some Dynastar M-Free 108 182s that I hope will be a bit more mellow DD ski to use while me knee gets better and ready to jump back on the Woods and for slush/spring playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by paal View Post
    This season must be the worst in my 40+ years. Local resorts still have not opened cause there is not enough snow. Closest one a few hours away have opened the shittiest slopes with man-made snow, but it is rough to get access cause of Covid-restrictions (prioritizing those with season pass...fair enough.)

The local store where I bought my bindings finally managed to mount my BG108T after some failed attempts. I will never have anyone mount my skis again even if it's free. I did got compensated ok-ish for the fuck-ups, but having gems like these blemished really hurt.

Anyway; took the them to the closest easy-access mountain from my doorstep. 800 ish meter vertical. Yesterday I upgraded my bike with new studded tires that I wanted to test, so I rode it as far as possible up gravel roads in snowmobile tracks with very little snow and some ice, then swapped to skis once I got to proper snow that wouldn't damage them.

My 184 Bgs weighed in at 1730g on my scale. That is probably not correct, but damn they felt light on my feet with the marker alpinists. Touring has never felt this easy.
    I managed to find a few areas without too many visible rocks and got a couple small windows of "real" skiing. (I really didn't want to scratch them the very first day) Snow was quite wind-affected and it was my first proper skiing attempt the season. Still, they just felt...right. Nothing was strange, nothing felt off, just super intuitive. They pivoted easy, tails released as expected. I have been riding normal BGs in the resorts for some seasons now, so the 108s feeling "right" should be no surprise, but reading the latest few pages with posts about some new skis feeling "off", I was so happy that these just felt like they should. Small, light, BGs
    I will add some more info comparing the two once the season allows it. Maybe after getting some time on the standard BGs again the 108T will feel a little weaker, but as of now I am very, very happy.
    Where in the country are you located? Here up north it's never been as bad as this as far as I can remember. There is no snow up high either. Completely ridiculous. I still haven't had skis on my feet this season. Last year we could ski down to sea level the first week of november..

Anyway, thanks for the BG108T stoke. I can't wait to try my pair - hopefully sometime this season.

And yeah, always mount your own skis.

These tops are so awesome! Shame they messed em up on ya but dang those look kick ass!!

Name:	BG1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	357092

Name:	bg2.jpg 
Views:	947 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	357094[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice to see you got the Izzo too- how is it treating you? I ended up keeping my Jeffsy, and have grown to love it

I took my woods108s out for a single run today, but they were too much ski for my left knee. Somewhat ironically Völkl Mantra 102s were not - they are not the demanding über killers some claim they are, so I skied the rest of the half day on them.
    I really do love the Izzo, but I gotta admit I still have second thoughts every now and then about not buying your Jeffsy instead
    My everyday riding is on super mellow trails though, so I KNOW the Izzo is the "correct" choice, but that "what if..." is always nagging me.
    Overall a brand new hobby for me. I'm a total n00b but i LOVE it. Seems like it can get expensive real fast though (like it hasen't already...)

Mantra more easy going than the wood? That was very surprising. What is the length of the two skis? My last mantra was from 2012 though. To me, the Wren was the easy going/playful mantra(still not as much as I wanted to though), and I figured the wood would be the next step. But then, I guess the mantra has changed quite a bit since my old version(?) I have been eying that wood 102 for some time now as my next inbounds ski. We'll see next season

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Where in the country are you located? Here up north it's never been as bad as this as far as I can remember. There is no snow up high either. Completely ridiculous. I still haven't had skis on my feet this season. Last year we could ski down to sea level the first week of november..

Anyway, thanks for the BG108T stoke. I can't wait to try my pair - hopefully sometime this season.

And yeah, always mount your own skis.
    West coast, just south of Aalesund. You? You got regular goats as well?

Yes; will mount myself from now on. 100%. Had some very minor -0.5mm ish fuckups from other stores before, but nothing as crazy as this.
    Current mount is solid though; dead center. Praise the goat lord!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoepa View Post
    These tops are so awesome! Shame they messed em up on ya but dang those look kick ass!!
    Thanks. I have always liked that top. Love the contrast of the fwd/rear part. Front looks awesome on snow.
    Will probably take a while to stop caring about their mistakes and ugly plastic plugs. Guess I need to slam into some rocks asap

.. .Will probably take a while to stop caring about their mistakes and ugly plastic plugs. Guess I need to slam into some rocks asap
    It's kind of like the stages of grief. It'll pass. Enjoy them!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

West coast, just south of Aalesund. You? You got regular goats as well?

Yes; will mount myself from now on. 100%. Had some very minor -0.5mm ish fuckups from other stores before, but nothing as crazy as this.
    Bodø here. Usually really good winters a few mins drive inland. Just not this year.. I was under the impression that everything south of Dovre was good so far this season, but I guess not.

Yeah, I own 15/16 BG's and 18/19 C&D's (first run of the new shape), so I'm a huge fan of the BG shape. I know I will like these new Tours, yet I'm still eager to test them. Opted for 50/50 layup though, but still plenty light with light bindings at 2300 grams total.

Exactly what did that shop do wrong? Mounted them off the line? Don't tell me they used that thick white topsheet line?

I really do love the Izzo, but I gotta admit I still have second thoughts every now and then about not buying your Jeffsy instead
    My everyday riding is on super mellow trails though, so I KNOW the Izzo is the "correct" choice, but that "what if..." is always nagging me.
    Overall a brand new hobby for me. I'm a total n00b but i LOVE it. Seems like it can get expensive real fast though (like it hasen't already...)
    I think you made the right call. It is way better to be slightly underbiked at first and actually develop some technique and ability to read the terrain and place the bike where you want it. My Jeffsy build requires a bit of speed and finesse to really shine, so you would have been throwing money at equipment that you would not have been able to get the most of. You 100% made the right choice imho.

And I also made the right choice in keeping it

Mantra more easy going than the wood? That was very surprising. What is the length of the two skis? My last mantra was from 2012 though. To me, the Wren was the easy going/playful mantra(still not as much as I wanted to though), and I figured the wood would be the next step. But then, I guess the mantra has changed quite a bit since my old version(?) I have been eying that wood 102 for some time now as my next inbounds ski. We'll see next season
    Yes, a lot. The middle part of m102s is a lot more forgiving/easy to bend, so they are just dead easy to ski while being very capable. I am kinda happy that my woods102 partly ti request i sent to iggy a while back went unanswered and that I picked up these instead - m102s are awesome. M102 177 vs w108s 182.

Will probably take a while to stop caring about their mistakes and ugly plastic plugs.
    I did not notice those on the first go around. Holy toledo - they messed that mount up really badly. How is that even possible? Mounting bindings with jigs is pretty damned easy (though, the shop messed up drilling my m102s too - +1.3 type messed up - oh well).

I did not notice those on the first go around. Holy toledo - they messed that mount up really badly. How is that even possible? Mounting bindings with jigs is pretty damned easy (though, the shop messed up drilling my m102s too - +1.3 type messed up - oh well).
    I know right? But it gets even worse than that super rearward mount:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Exactly what did that shop do wrong? Mounted them off the line? Don't tell me they used that thick white topsheet line?
    I showed the guy the line on the sidewall when I gave him the skis. I wanted to be 100% sure. (lol)
    If he went with the "fat line", at least he would have been close. He instead went with some thinner lines further back (without contacting me first!)... I have to guess like 8cm? He saw the mistake and re-mounted again at the correct line. (He said he did remember me telling him about the mount, but had a brain fart or whatever...)

However. We are still not done.
    I had my boots there for punching as well ( a job he did quite well tbh), so I clicked them in at the store and noticed that they were about 2cm fwd. After some investigation it turns out the guy had a marker jig with alpinist's center mark on one side, and some other binding on the other. My skis had been mounted using the wrong mark on the jig.
    I swear, the guy did not smell of alcohol!

So... ON3Mounts on a brand new ski

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    It's kind of like the stages of grief. It'll pass. Enjoy them!

... Thom
    Hehe, yeah. I know.
    I now kick the doors shut on the same car I used to wash twice a week just a few years ago.
    It still hurts in the beginning though

So... ON3Mounts on a brand new ski
    oh my. That is some next level fuck uppery imho. Not once, but twice?

At that point you would not have been asking too much asking for them to get you a new pair imho. Though, if you are not concerned about the resale value then it doesn't really matter all that much as you plan to ski them untill they are no more - aka the next decade or two, until you want to do a remount at least.

Too bad that they still managed to get them on the line as I know of a person who would've been more than willing to take them off the shop's hand at a discounted price

Name:	7825603D-4E1D-474A-BFEC-7B50FAF89FCC.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	848.0 KB 
ID:	357151
    Goddamn I love these skis. (184cm Billy Goat 116 Tour with Voyagers)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post

Nice Cat Camo! But GTFO with that shot...what is all that white, fluffy stuff’?
    You should have been here yesterday!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i shifted from gummy to file on my woods96, hoping to be able to use the tails this weekend
    got these to a place where i had a lot of fun today. i’ll probably detune more but had some fun with the edges while still pretty sharp. float on 96/187 length is not enough for me to daily but should serve my touring and low snow travel needs well which was initial intent. they skied steep packed powder really well for their size and layup. normally i want my 193 cochise there or 189 wren 108 when i had a pair

i may wanna get on a 108 192 some time

also got a lap on some super goats today. would buy, super capable and comfy, just how i like em

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post

I love that spot and the ridge traverse that comes next! Awesome stoke shot!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How much detuning are people doing on a new ski and with what? Every pair of soft snow skis I pull plastic off of gets 2-3 passes with a bastard file from contact point to tips and contact points to tails. Then I ski. If there’s any hook after that, I work towards center an inch at time. I keep a small section of file in my pocket if I’m skiing on new to me skis until I like how they ski.

ON3P, Moment and some other Indy brands should come from a factory with 1/1 degree base/side edge tunes and detuned from the contact points up. Most major manufacturers go with 1/2 or 1/3 edges with no detuning from the factory.

On most skis from major manufacturers, hit them with a file and then diamond stone(400 grit works well) above the widest taper point to round the edges to prevent top sheet damage.

On ON3P, Moments etc hit the areas above contact point(not widest taper) with file, then diamond stones at 45 degrees to round them. Again check base flatness, for edge high spots and make sure base bevel and edge angles are uniformly set at 1 degree with files then diamond stones between the contact points area/underfoot area.

Ceramic or Diamond stones can be carried with you to correct edge damage or sharpen edges on the hill. Gummies used to lightly detune if more is desired without totally dulling the edges or for removing burrs.

Keep in mind that feeling the need to detune even after rounding above the contact is usually a sign of base flatness(edge high) or base bevel angle issues(bevels below 1 degree).

^Yep, what he said