Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Summit county experts and posers

Just wanted to weigh some opinions of area experts as well as area posers

Hitting up resort skiing in summit county week of the 12th. The Loveland thread has me confused and disheartened.

I need Intel and guidance

Loveland
    Copper
    Abasin
    Mary Jane
    Ajax
    Keystone

If there is a general summit county thread please direct me towards it but it seems as though this region is at war, a civil war between brothers.

I also need donations if I am gonna go heli skiing. Just a subsidy is all I seek.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

I've only really been to keystone and abasin and enjoyed them both

I am not gonna pay 140 for a lift ticket that is absurd

Also if I go to Loveland what lift do I avoid? The 30 min lift...
    Zone Controller

Why only the listed resorts? They don't add up to a pass as far as I know.......

There is absolutely a cival war out here, for the most part it comes down to what mountain a person knows the best. A lot of people will tell you Breck sucks because there's too many people and the mountain is flat but I can find fresh 2 weeks after the last storm because I know where the wind puts it and I can for the most part avoid the lines. 3 years ago I would have said the place is shit but they have the best kids program so I've been forced to learn it, and I love it. If you have the desire to hike you can probably find the best snow and lines, within the summit county caveat of course.

In general, if it's in the 24 hours following a storm you'll have fun anywhere. Abasin has awesome terrain but not much of it so it gets tracked quick, spring at a basin means upper east wall but it almost never opens before late
    March because our snowpack sucks and it all slides. Marry Jane also gets tracked out very quick and the trees aren't all that great (though there's some good ones in there). If you love bumps then it's got the goods for you. Outback at keystone has some super fun terrain but nothing crazy, just good trees. There's a cat or your skins that'll take you to some good stuff but the wind can destroy it pretty quick,. Key is basically three ridges, the first two suck the third can be tits. Copper has some good terrain, haven't been there in years though. I heard something about a lift accessing the previously only accessable by cat and hike, not sure if it happend or if it was good or bad. The reast of the mountain has some good stuff mixed in with a lot of meh, Loveland is that place where truly fresh lines can be seen from the highway long after all the obvious fresh has been tracked up everywhere else. That's because those fresh lines are on pretty flat ground. Loveland lacks the crowds and still boasts the goods (I.e. Steep and open) but the corwds that do show up know where the goods are so while you can always find fresh the fresh on the goods are really only good for a couple hours, much like everywhere else. I've been there on a day that they were opening the ridge and got to follow patrol catching steep fresh all day. That was sick. Haven't been to Ajax so don't trust my opinion but in the summer it looks pretty sweet.

PM Benny
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Oh, and Breck was $160 today. Wtf? I paid $480 for a season pass! Most of the people paying $160 are probably skiing shit groomers from the base of peak 8 and standing in hour long lift lines. Can someone please tell me why the skiing industry isn't seeing any growth?

Seriously, just go to Vail. Because everyplace else just sucks.

Better look at a map, no Mary Jane, Loveland or Ajax in Summit.
    Hope you like bumps!

Go to Ajax or Aspen Highlands...two of my favorites. In Summit, above treeline at Breck is sick, as well as Windows area, good spots in the Outback at Keystone, Copper has good terrain up high and in the back. The Tucker Mtn lift hasn't been built so the cat still gives you access to fresh lines off Tucker Mtn. ABasin and Loveland also have really good terrain. Loveland has the best snow of them all.

Check out Breck, but don't go on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

Hitting up resort skiing in summit county week of the 12th. The Loveland thread has me confused and disheartened.

Loveland
    Copper
    Abasin
    Mary Jane
    Ajax
    Keystone

If there is a general summit county thread please direct me towards it but it seems as though this region is at war, a civil war between brothers.
    All would be good choices. There is good snow for January, which means do expect rocks at the Summit ski areas.
    Ajax/Aspen lets you escape the crowds of the Front Range. Highlands is a good choice if you are doing Aspen and have the cash.
    Do expect Fri-Sun crowds at Loveland, Keystone, A-Basin, Breck, Winter Park/Mary Jane. If at all possible avoid the I-70 drive between Denver and Summit (or Grand=Mary Jane).
    Ullr Fest starts in Breck around Jan 13th, which is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Why only the listed resorts? They don't add up to a pass as far as I know.......

There is absolutely a cival war out here, for the most part it comes down to what mountain a person knows the best. A lot of people will tell you Breck sucks because there's too many people and the mountain is flat but I can find fresh 2 weeks after the last storm because I know where the wind puts it and I can for the most part avoid the lines. 3 years ago I would have said the place is shit but they have the best kids program so I've been forced to learn it, and I love it. If you have the desire to hike you can probably find the best snow and lines, within the summit county caveat of course.

In general, if it's in the 24 hours following a storm you'll have fun anywhere. Abasin has awesome terrain but not much of it so it gets tracked quick, spring at a basin means upper east wall but it almost never opens before late
    March because our snowpack sucks and it all slides. Marry Jane also gets tracked out very quick and the trees aren't all that great (though there's some good ones in there). If you love bumps then it's got the goods for you. Outback at keystone has some super fun terrain but nothing crazy, just good trees. There's a cat or your skins that'll take you to some good stuff but the wind can destroy it pretty quick,. Key is basically three ridges, the first two suck the third can be tits. Copper has some good terrain, haven't been there in years though. I heard something about a lift accessing the previously only accessable by cat and hike, not sure if it happend or if it was good or bad. The reast of the mountain has some good stuff mixed in with a lot of meh, Loveland is that place where truly fresh lines can be seen from the highway long after all the obvious fresh has been tracked up everywhere else. That's because those fresh lines are on pretty flat ground. Loveland lacks the crowds and still boasts the goods (I.e. Steep and open) but the corwds that do show up know where the goods are so while you can always find fresh the fresh on the goods are really only good for a couple hours, much like everywhere else. I've been there on a day that they were opening the ridge and got to follow patrol catching steep fresh all day. That was sick. Haven't been to Ajax so don't trust my opinion but in the summer it looks pretty sweet.
    Solid descriptions. When u available for the Breck tour?

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post

Steep and Loveland? SRSLY? hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    It looks pretty steep if you hold the camera the right way...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1451819483.901246.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	711.0 KB 
ID:	174370  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

According to the lively discussion in the Loveland thread, Super Bowl tops out at 50°

Loveland is discounted through Liftopia.

Loveland
    Copper
    Abasin
    Mary Jane
    Ajax
    Keystone
    Ajax? Scummit County? Aspen is a solid 2 hours from Summit.

Copper and Breck get my vote in Summit County; A-Basin 3rd. The first two have enough space and solid terrain options that you can get some fun skiing in mid-week; A-Basin has a great vibe, fun terrain and a different scene to mix it up.

As GP333 said above; a lot of people bitch about Breck and it does suck on the weekends/holidays, but there's a lot there to find and not a flat mountain if you're willing to put in a modicum of effort. Also a much better town/area for food/apres/etc compared to rest.

That said, if you want to ski and ski a lot, come to Aspen.

Copper is the most underrated resort in that area IMO. Way less crowded too.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I agree with this. A lot of different types of terrain without the crowds of breckenridge but still will be pretty busy on a weekend. good trees and some decent above treeline stuff. copper bowl and tucker are fun however neither are open yet. hopefully we can get some more snow here soon and that will change.

Basin is definitely worth checking out for a day. Pali lift is always fun.

idk if I will ever go to loveland again because of the thread here. not really but I think the ridge get a little over hyped. I still have had some awesome amounts of fun riding chair 9 on the right day.

copper and the basin are my go to here but I am jaded and just avoid everything breckenridge during the winter.

Never said the steep was long or exposed or in abundance. Haven't read through the Loveland thread but I've seen it referenced and it sounds like this has all been hashed out.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Agree. Plus once they build the new Tucker Mtn chair, the cat is going to open up operations to nearby Jacques Peak. That's pretty sick.

Good good

I would like to go to breck but not paying 140

Skiing mon-thur probably. Aspen very far but the beer flows like wine

I think copper and abasin are top choices. Then maybe I check Loveland

I'm from Minnesota so really most any mountain will be fun for me. Of course I seek world class...

So shell bogo and liftopia are places to get tickets

Any other pro tips or suggestions. Send me a pass and I will hit vail
    Zone Controller

Good good

I would like to go to breck but not paying 140

Skiing mon-thur probably. Aspen very far but the beer flows like wine

I think copper and abasin are top choices. Then maybe I check Loveland

I'm from Minnesota so really most any mountain will be fun for me. Of course I seek world class...

So shell bogo and liftopia are places to get tickets

Any other pro tips or suggestions. Send me a pass and I will hit vail
    You should have mentioned you were from Minnesota. Don't overlook Eldora!

Never heard of eldora

My skills are high. 9.3/10 or so
    Zone Controller

I also would like to ski with Jason Alexander or Tom cruise. I figure aspen can make this happen
    Zone Controller

Gees, why don't you try the back bowls of Echo Mountain? They are at least 50 degrees.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Aspen > I-70