Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If you were to buy a new house...

What would you do to it, what wouldn't you? I.e. "I wouldn't buy Berber carpet because my dogs nails get caught up in it." Etc. real wood floors, I'd leave em cause they're solid, or I put in new laminate, manufactured wood because it's the bomb.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Make sure there's no poo under it, install ergonomically sound ball rests on each sink and purchase a timeshare as a fall back domicile.

Make sure the house is on high ground.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Make sure that if there is hardwood or laminate flooring that the contractor put a good underlayment down. For some ridiculous reason some contractors will put in decent $5.00 sf flooring and skip the .10 sf underlayment leaving you with a floor that makes so much noise you can't walk across it at night without waking someone up.

2 dishwashers.

One for dirty, one for clean.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Are you "building" a new house...or buying a previously-occupied house?

I've never built a house....but I would think:
    1) wiring for entertainment system (speakers, HDMI, outlets behind wall-mounted tv)
    2) wider shower base (but one in our basement recently....it's awesome)

that's all I have

Just like the dirt pimps say location, etc, etc.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

X2 on the question: is this a "new to you" house, or is this "new construction"? -- either being custom-built for you, or a tract house that a builder will construct with some finish & trim changes that you can make.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

At my age I'd make sure it was ADA compliant - doorways big enough for a wheel chair. One level. Showers wheelchair accessible etc. etc.

Oddly, I got this idea not from thinking about being old but from my skiing accident that put me in a wheel chair for 2 months. My place at the time worked well and it got me thinking - shit happens and if you can it's nice to be able to stay in your own home.

If you buy an older house, buy a house with the least upgrades/fixes as possible. You may believe all are easy fixes you can do over the years, but they always take a lot more time than/money than you think. You'll have plenty of house fixes and places to spend money over the years no matter what, believe me.

I'm planning on buying a small three bedroom and making it an open two bedroom both masters. Split floor plan.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

- shower head at 90" AFF, not 72"
    - deep utility sink in the garage
    - urinal in the garage
    - no carpet
    - hot tub
    - built in grill and sink outback
    - built in speakers for living room, backyard, garage, and kitchen
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    2 dishwashers.
    The dryer also always needs emptying before you can put wet clothes in it.

2 dryers.

His and her's laundry rooms? Obviously I'll still need two dryers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Decent or zero neighbors

on some sort of water - brook or stream, but high enough above it that it'll be safe from flooding

Private

Garage/workshop

Not something that's been added on and pieced together over time and over several different "carpenters"

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Make sure the house is on high ground.
    agreed - must be a legal state. CO/WA/OR

two car garage. 1/2 for the car, 1/2 for the toys/shop

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Make sure that if there is hardwood or laminate flooring that the contractor put a good underlayment down. For some ridiculous reason some contractors will put in decent $5.00 sf flooring and skip the .10 sf underlayment leaving you with a floor that makes so much noise you can't walk across it at night without waking someone up.
    Haha. Yup. It's amazing the stuff that builders skimp on. I think their logic is if the buyer's not going to see it, then it doesn't matter so why spend the money. So annoying. I deal with this in the audio world all the time. Cable's cheap, yet in order to save the 2 cents per foot, they'll toss in the teeniest tiniest wiring available do inexcusably long runs with said crap wiring. I've had to replace quite a bit for customers this year due to bad interference in speakers, pink snow on their sets from failed, poorly installed, crap quality HDMI cables (you can go cheap which is fine 99% of the time, but then there's TOO cheap), etc. "Oh, underlayment for tile? Meh. Who needs that?" This being in an area with lots of minor seismic activity. Cracked and loose tiles all over my house. The only stuff done right is the stuff I've ripped down to the joists and studs and redid from scratch. I'm not the only one. Lack of underlayments for laminate, tile, and everything else is an epidemic around here. Hell, they even skimped on the foaming of my windows as my freaking trim is drafty and I have to redo all that too. Damn you, cheap ass contractors!!!!

fireplace is a must
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Thick padding under the carpets - makes a huge difference and they last longer too. No matter the flooring surface, never cheap out on what sits beneath it.

Good call on the higher shower mounts above.

Also, do as many projects as possible before you move in. It's just so much easier that way. I still need to finish the damn base boards on my addition.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - shower head at 90" AFF, not 72"
    - deep utility sink in the garage
    - built in grill and sink outback
    - built in speakers for living room, backyard, garage, and kitchen
    Extra long garage w/8' garage door
    Corner sink in the kitchen. Islands are for prep and eating, not washing dishes.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

i'd buy something from an era that used good materials & details, and make sure no one has fucked it up with bad remodels.
    solid materials, good details -- the rest is adjustable

i like KQ's long term thinking too

if new construction, that's a much longer post

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post

i like KQ's long term thinking too
    Another thing I learned from being in a wheelchair was, make sure the toilet is positioned so you can get the chair beside it otherwise moving from one to the other is a nightmare.

Proper seat height, too. Walk-in shower with a seating area.

If you were to buy a new house...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1450467526.482489.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	173577
    I'm a big fan of showers that take up a little more room and have no door or curtain. I'm hoping to do that.

What about energy saving Windows and water heaters? Which ones? It's gonna be hot as fuck so I figure good windows are worth the extra dimp.

Don't forget mirrors above your bed so you can do your hair in bed.