Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Playful shorter radius "mid fat"

i quoted mid fat, because what the fuck is a mid fat these days?

Yeah another thread...I have plenty of "bigger" and longer-ish radius skis, katanas, spur, and i'm moving on from my 25 m radius 187 helix which i thought were very solid skis, just not much fun shapeness to them...

so i'm looking for something just a little more playful when i want to do a little more fucking around and a little less business, something that's not a noodle but not super stiff either, finally ditching trackers now that i've gone full dynafiddler for touring, so just something for in resort, softer west coast days, for those days your just like, you know, fucking around. i ski katanas on harder days, spurs on blower, tour in nanutaqs, and have some old karmas, for truly fucking around on groomers.

105-109 underfoot. sub 20 radius, a touch of fun shape maybe, 185-190

out in front for me right now is the automatic 109, seems to fit perfectly what im looking for isn't overly stiff, seems from reading about it maybe like a narrower BC?
    others:
    fat-y-pus m5
    chapter 106
    sir francis bacon (previous gen)
    Rocker2 108

am I missing something, not much on here about the chapter, or m5, and limited info surprisingly on the automatic 109, rocker 2 108 and SFB,

i like to pop around, but i don't ski or land switch...

thoughts before i pull trigger on the 109's,
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Did the same thing 2 yrs ago that you are doing now... Before buying my 190 SFBs, my smallest and easy going ski was my 186 ON3P Viciks... I wanted a ski for family days as well as just a fun ski that I could have fun all over the mt... I demo'd the SFB and had an absolute blast... They made the entire mt fun and as long as you are not going mach loonie they really do the rest well (bumps, groomers, POW and some light junked up snow)...

And if you have not read Blisters review they did a pretty good job of describing this ski and comparing it to a couple of others in the category...

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...is-bacon-190cm

Concept
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Concept
    Aren't those 117 underfoot...?

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Did the same thing 2 yrs ago that you are doing now... Before buying my 190 SFBs, my smallest and easy going ski was my 186 ON3P Viciks... I wanted a ski for family days as well as just a fun ski that I could have fun all over the mt... I demo'd the SFB and had an absolute blast... They made the entire mt fun and as long as you are not going mach loonie they really do the rest well (bumps, groomers, POW and some light junked up snow)...

And if you have not read Blisters review they did a pretty good job of describing this ski and comparing it to a couple of others in the category...

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...is-bacon-190cm
    yeah, its really been back and forth between these two...

how tall, fat are you, im 5'9 190, 184 is usually too short for me, except for katana which i love it in that size, so i'm kinda wondering about 190 vs 184 on SFB
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

In the same boat as you. Wanted a kick around ski for skiing with the family and something less demanding more playful than my other skis. I went a touch more narrow than you are looking. I just bought the 186 4FRNT Cody, 102 under foot, which on paper fits right in the slot. I will see once I put them on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    yeah, its really been back and forth between these two...

how tall, fat are you, im 5'9 190, 184 is usually too short for me, except for katana which i love it in that size, so i'm kinda wondering about 190 vs 184 on SFB
    6'4" and 200 lbs... With the boards you are on and size 190s fo sho.... Plus you are dealing with both tip and tail rocker so they do dki short... They are so easy to ski and are a bit beefier than the 184s, but I think this is a plus as they really are a good all mt fun ski... They are no Katana or Spur, but they do not fold like most in this category... I really have been having a lot of fun on this shape I ended up buying a pair of Blizzard 193 GunSmokes...

I should add that the other skis in my quiver that I rotate are...:
    196 Renegades
    191 Billygoats
    193 Praxis MVPs
    192 Praxis GPOs

6'4" and 200 lbs... With the boards you are on and size 190s fo sho.... Plus you are dealing with both tip and tail rocker so they do dki short... They are so easy to ski and are a bit beefier than the 184s, but I think this is a plus as they really are a good all mt fun ski... They are no Katana or Spur, but they do not fold like most in this category... I really have been having a lot of fun on this shape I ended up buying a pair of Blizzard 193 GunSmokes...

I should add that the other skis in my quiver that I rotate are...:
    196 Renegades
    191 Billygoats
    193 Praxis MVPs
    192 Praxis GPOs
    Damn, now you really got me thinking, does the full twin change it's mannerisms at all, as mentioned before im not a switch skier or a park guy, but i do like popping around... sucks that Line went and changed the ski, there are a few pairs floating around on google shopping, but not many of last years,

Anyone been on the automatic 109? my only concern with these is the pintail, is it as crazy as say the old s3 pintail, i found that to be kind of squirrley and wheelie if you needed to pressure tails at all, but maybe this one isn't as pronounced...

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I love my Rocker2 100's and I imagine the 108 would ski pretty similarly.

It's the most intuitive ski I've ridden in a long time but I can still push it a bit.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Aren't those 117 underfoot...?
    Fit every other criteria... 115
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Damn, now you really got me thinking, does the full twin change it's mannerisms at all, as mentioned before im not a switch skier or a park guy, but i do like popping around... sucks that Line went and changed the ski, there are a few pairs floating around on google shopping, but not many of last years,

Anyone been on the automatic 109? my only concern with these is the pintail, is it as crazy as say the old s3 pintail, i found that to be kind of squirrley and wheelie if you needed to pressure tails at all, but maybe this one isn't as pronounced...
    Nope... I grew up ski racing for way to many years on Volkls and always rode skis with traditional mount and a tail that you had to work to release... I still rock my 190 Gold Buddah Gotamas and that was my first twin and one of my favorite skis to date... I am not a park rat and def not going switch, but with the twin and tail rocker you can throw these skis sideways with ease... Which is one of the traits that make them so fun and versatile...

I have not been on the Atomic 109, but I do not get a pintail for a ski that is not a primary POW ski... I demo'd the 97 and 107 (I believe) Cham and hated the pin on anything other than shallow to deep POW...

189 shreditor 112.

automatic 109
    sir francis bacon (previous gen)
    Rocker2 108
    This is my list for the same purpose. In addition I'm looking at the Black Crows Atris.
    Not to many reviews of those around but a Norwegian magazine gave them 8/10 and described them as a reliable and easygoing playmate
    The other three have all been reviewed by Blister.

Black Crows whatever bird name is the 107ish ski
    Rossi Soul 7
    Dynastar Cham 107 2.0
    Armada TST
    Rocker2 108

All come in at or under 20m turn radius. I had the rocker2 108s, fun everyday ski for just playing around. Keep in mind the 190 is 111 underfoot. If you want a wider ski like that the Nordica Patron kills it.

If interested, I have a pair of 192 Armada TST's in gear swap right now. 102 waist/ 19 radius/ 1 mount/ rarely used. I am going the other direction~ Cochise, Belafonte, etc. you can check Blister's review for a good snapshot of their characteristics. Cheers
    "Not all who wander are lost"

VPM, I found this review on Earlyups on the Automatic 109 that might help...:

http://earlyups.com/earlyups-test-se...automatic-109/

VPM, I found this review on Earlyups on the Automatic 109 that might help...:

http://earlyups.com/earlyups-test-se...automatic-109/
    Thanks for that... Where did you mount SFB? Can you drive the tips or does it really need to be skied upright

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I ride Jeffery 110s for days like those at 190, 6'2". I'd say you can look at peacemakers or kartel 106s for that purpose. Or go Shreditor 112 189 or Line SFB 190 if you want them softer still and smaller radius

I know what you mean. I love my Scott P4's for this. But wish they had a bit tighter radius. Like 18m and maybe 100mm underfoot. I do like a kick ass higher energy carve.

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    I have the SFB (previous gen in a 184) and a pair of Black Crows Atris (also in a 184).

I'm 5'10" and around 75kg. Qualified non-practicing instructor (for what that's worth), ski fairly centred and prefer finesse over outright power/speed. These skis are my go-to choices for most things, except deep pow (Folsom Gambits) and hardpack (Praxis Piste Jibs).

The SFB is more centred, slightly softer and slightly more playful than the Atris. Great fun in bumps, decent in pow, and very easy to whip through the trees.

The Atris feel a touch more directional and definitely feel more stable at speed. They also hold an edge on firm snow better than the SFB. They're still easy to ski in bumps and trees, but they encourage a more "attacking" style of skiing - mainly because they feel more solid in the tips and stable underfoot.

The SFBs like to pop up and over or around stuff. The Atris can do this too, but can also tank through....far better than I had expected from a ski in this class.

There's not much in it when it comes to float in soft snow - maybe the Atris is a touch better, hard to say.

Basically both are great, fun skis and you'll be happy either way. On balance, for my style of skiing (ie - not flippy/spinny or going everywhere backwards), I'd take the Atris for the added stability at speed / edge hold.

The Atris is now out in a 189 I think if you wanted to size up...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimty View Post
    Basically both are great, fun skis and you'll be happy either way. On balance, for my style of skiing (ie - not flippy/spinny or going everywhere backwards), I'd take the Atris for the added stability at speed / edge hold.

The Atris is now out in a 189 I think if you wanted to size up...
    Seconded, I am the same size as Jimty.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Sounds like the Nordica Enforcer is worth a look.

X2 on enforcer, quite impressed
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Moment PBJ. Haven't skied it but if they are indeed a skinnier Bibby... Sounds like a candidate. Moments skis defining quality to me is playful light feeling and poppy with a good helping of sidecut.

+1 more for ON3P Kartel 106

I'd go for either of the Steeples, because they match to skiing like the Goats and C&D.

Kartel has the pop and boing, it's a fun ski!