Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    So... Chair 6 had a big old fire at the base last night... No word yet on if the chair is gonna run... Sure glad I bought a season pass specifically for after work spring skiing in April...

Update: Maybe, just maybe chair six wasn't affected... ADN seems optimistic http://www.adn.com/article/20160317/...rt-no-injuries
    Last edited by ak_powder_monkey; 03-17-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

The other other awesome day from last weekend, skiing above Turnagain Arm with the AK family. No red flags, didn't do a thorough stability analysis as Brunton had done one there the day before.

Zack:

Ethan:

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    So... Chair 6 had a big old fire at the base last night... No word yet on if the chair is gonna run... Sure glad I bought a season pass specifically for after work spring skiing in April...

Update: Maybe, just maybe chair six wasn't affected... ADN seems optimistic http://www.adn.com/article/20160317/...rt-no-injuries
    Really hoping the chair isn't down for more than a day or two. Flying into Anchorage tomorrow for 4 days of skiing. I was looking forward some fresh snow and runs off that chair.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Records View Post
    Ethan:
    holy crap, really interesting picture, can't quite wrap my head around where you were shooting from.

Wow Thompson pass looks really great. Soo much cool stuff right off the road. We had to abort python because of a split board bindings failure, but I have at least 4-5 things I wanna do once it clears.

We've been hanging out here since Monday. So much great stuff. Today we toured the low angle tsaina cat skiing in 30-40cm of fresh ( a foot to 1 1/2 I reckon? ), steal their internet, buy reasonably priced beer there and wait for the next weather window. We usually hang out at the Worthington parking lot or at the tsaina lot. If anyone stops by, say Hi to the German couple in the ABC camper. ( there are about 10 ABC campers here.... So pick the one with the strange euros inside. )
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    holy crap, really interesting picture, can't quite wrap my head around where you were shooting from.
    I was shooting from an opposing ridge which was guarded by a school bus - cornice, which is in the foreground.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    If anyone stops by, say Hi to the German couple in the ABC camper. ( there are about 10 ABC campers here.... So pick the one with the strange euros inside. )
    2 strange euros > 10 normal americans

Ethan, Mary, Alex and I lapped Rae Wallace yesterday. Damn good. LOTS of moving snow: sloughs, storm slabs, storm slabs stepping down a couple layers. Gonna be scary up there with the forecast rapid loading tonight and already 7 inches new! Obs from our day up on the Hatcher Avalanche site.

Brady's video which does a good job summarizing our Eagle Peak fun:

Anyone been up near cantwell lately?

Ethan, Mary, Alex and I lapped Rae Wallace yesterday. Damn good. LOTS of moving snow: sloughs, storm slabs, storm slabs stepping down a couple layers. Gonna be scary up there with the forecast rapid loading tonight and already 7 inches new! Obs from our day up on the Hatcher Avalanche site.

Great pics. Love that wall. Saw it was 39 at the weather station today. Was not expecting that.

Tailgate isn't for everyone. If you like hanging out, meeting people, experiencing the scene, then its a good time. Plus, you can definitely get sled bumps to skip approaches. If your scene is a silent valley kept company by only non-human tracks its not for you. I went once, have lots of hilarious memories involving drunk slednecks, and won't be going again.
    I had a feeling this was your vibe. Trying hard not to be an asshole, you showed what an asshole you truly are! Not easy to do for most humans.

keep up the sick really steep shots though.....advanced jump turns only!~!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Shut the fuck up dascunt. Mike is anything but an asshole.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Shut the fuck up dascunt. Mike is anything but an asshole.
    Please come home. I miss you!

Not till June. But I'll be in Seward all summer.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

What did you Alaskans think of the FWT venue near Haines? http://freerideworldtour.com/calenda...es-alaska-2016

Nice broad face, but a surprising amount of open face without features. Any idea how "The Venue" - as FWT drolly calls it - stacks up against other potential Alaskan venues. Of course, I know there are a gajillion potential spots, but consider proximity to a town/flying base, likelihood for good stable snow, featured, broad enough to accommodate 30ish riders, about 6-800 meters vertical, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I wouldn't hold your breath for 6 to be loading anytime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    What did you Alaskans think of the FWT venue near Haines? http://freerideworldtour.com/calenda...es-alaska-2016

Nice broad face, but a surprising amount of open face without features. Any idea how "The Venue" - as FWT drolly calls it - stacks up against other potential Alaskan venues. Of course, I know there are a gajillion potential spots, but consider proximity to a town/flying base, likelihood for good stable snow, featured, broad enough to accommodate 30ish riders, about 6-800 meters vertical, etc.
    nothing like the movies because half the riders falling down the face would not look good in competition.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Ive been going to AK since mid 90's. Never seen snow like i saw a few weeks ago in the tordrillos, west of Anchorage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	457.7 KB 
ID:	178758

here is one more. SNow was staggering light and stable.

Name:  12832327_10153531380235829_1332234380816798364_n.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  88.4 KB

I think I'm sitting on about 9 blog-worthy adventures. Apparently the last couple months have been rad. Blog post from Rae Wallace last Friday.

Heard it's raining too to bottom all over?

Snowing up high in the Chilkats. Warm but reasonable. Great snow above 2500ft.

That early March cycle was special for sure. Mike, awesome to see you killing it out there. Keep the pics coming!
    Drive slow, homie.

good to see Mike hitting different places each outing. That is the way to get things done. Eagle peak is a great line lot of vertical there.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    here is one more. Snow was staggering light and stable.

Name:  12832327_10153531380235829_1332234380816798364_n.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  88.4 KB
    This is ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    That early March cycle was special for sure. Mike, awesome to see you killing it out there. Keep the pics coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    good to see Mike hitting different places each outing. That is the way to get things done. Eagle peak is a great line lot of vertical there.
    Learned from the best