Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski for a 6'8 guy

Hi,

Looking for some recommendations. Up to this point I have had trouble finding a ski that really works for me, partially due to my size. I laugh when I read ski reviews from guys 6’0 and 175lb that refer to themselves as tall and or big.

Me: 6'8 240lbs very athletic skier.

Terrain: Whistler + Backcountry. Ideally decent in the trees and tight areas, but with enough float to keep me up in the deep stuff. Ideally looking for a quiver of one that I can do a slack country lap with and chase pow around the resort. Probably not doing multi day back country trips.

196 Lhasa Pow – Had these for 3 years. Light and stable. What I don’t love is the 39m turning radius and inability to wash out a turn in tight trees and typical west coast heavy chopped powder. Even in wide open bowls, these babies don’t want to turn. Plenty of float, can’t even bury the tips if I try. They were great going up hill.

195 Rossi Super 7 – Had these before the Lhasa Pows for 3 years. Prior to that I primarily snowboarded. Due to the amount of rocker, I was not stable forward and aft because of my height. Didn’t matter if it was a groomer or pow. They were of course quick to turn in the trees. I sought out the Lhasa Pows as their effective running length is significantly more, if not more than any other powder ski out there. Most of this is gained from lack of tail rocker. Never tried going up hill with these.

So, ideas for something in between these two skis? Unfortunately, I don’t think a 191 ski would cut it.

Thanks!

What's your budget? Igneous sounds like they make stuff for you.

Buddy of mine I used to ski with a lot was 6'9", 260-280. Lineman in college. He was on 194 Dynastar XXLs. Don't know what he's on currently.

200cm Lotus 120s come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Unlimited budget. I think the lotus 120 would be far to pow specific.

I rode the lift last year with a guy your size and he swore by his ON3P C&D's.

Quote Originally Posted by wardm View Post
    Unlimited budget.
    Might want to give these guys a look:
    http://www.folsomskis.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Ski for a 6'8 guy

Subscribed to see where OP ends up
    (Not quite as tall, but up there)

Have you looked at the Dynastar Cham 117? Lhasa like shape but more turny. They come in a 190 so maybe a little short but you still benefit from the long flat tail and rearward mount.

What about 193 Cochise or 196 Bodacious? 196 Renegade? 193 Hoji? 190 Icelantic Seeker? 191 Lhasa Fat? 191 Movement Goliath?
    Last edited by Leavenworth Skier; 09-23-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Interesting site. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    praxis Rx
    good call. Praxis is general might be good.

Volkl makes a Shiro in 203.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

195 Hoji looks appealing.

hey bud - I think I met you at the bootfitters @ intuition last year.

I'm 6'6" 250. I also had the Super7s (they suck) then the LhasaPows (meh...). I didn't really get too excited with either of those... so I can give you my perspective on what I found works for me. Might work for you too.
    I've had success with Cochise 193 & Renegade 196 - they are both a very different style of skiing than the LhasaPows, but I think it's a style the jives with big dudes.
    Long radius, yes, but full rocker so they let you pivot. Hoji is great too - it's my pow touring ski. Sometimes feels a bit soft in the tips but still charges well, but fun & pivoty in trees, floats well, handles hard stuff admirably, and great for doing lots of different turn shapes - which is something I particularly appreciate in a touring ski, for options to either charge or milk the turns to maximize vertical. Obviously going to be heavier than your current ski though.
    The cochise is a similar feeling ski with more resort everyday snow bias, and slightly more foreward-presured (but doesn't float particularly well), whereas the Renegade is a more charger version of the Hoji and freaking so. much. fun. in soft snow.

Also consider 190 Ravens for a lightweight touring option, assuming that it will ski similar to hoji/renegade "feel". I haven't tried those particular skis yet, but I think the stiff-full-rocker-long-radius-hoji-designed skis work well for big dudes. Or it could be just that I like them. ;-)

This year I got Devastators to replace the Cochise, which are supposed to be similar but better in the soft, and also twintip so I can hurt myself.
    Last edited by Judo Chop!; 09-23-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Ski for a 6'8 guy

I've got a pair of 10-11 ON3P Wrenegades in a 191 for $250, if you want to give it a whirl at a low cost entry point. They measure like a 194 in most manufacturers (ie Blizzard). Stiff, tip rocker, 28-30m radius.

The 203 Shiros, older 197 Katanas, 194 Devestators might be good choices too. The 196 Renegade is a good suggestion also.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 09-23-2015 at 06:25 PM.

^^^What condition are those wrens in? Mine are beatered and I would not mind a replacement.

Ski for a 6'8 guy

One mount for STH16 at 310ish. One coreshot and another longish scrape. Other than that - pretty damn good condition. I can take some photos tomorrow. I sealed the coreshot and scrape with some baseweld material.

I put about 5-7 days on it after I bought it from volklpowderaddict and filled the coreshot - so essentially the same condition if you want to dig up his FS thread.

+1 on the big Volkls
    You should also look at Stockli Stormrider Pro in 201.
    The Lotus 120 is far more powder specific than your Super 7s and Lhasa Pows?
    Last edited by stearnsn; 09-25-2015 at 10:09 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    red rax could only be surpassed
    by a black 200 cm pms gear jerantulaz
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    red rax could only be surpassed
    by a black 200 cm pms gear jerantulaz
    One of the best sfb posts in a while.

OP: I have a pair of 202 L138 Rocker2 I'll be listing shortly. Definitely the best pow ski for a guy your size, and the rocker 2 version does okay getting you back to the lift. Probably not a one-ski quiver kinda thing, but I think you'd really enjoy them.

Seems like the other skis I'd recommend have been covered. But the Hoji is a toy, IMO—too light/soft for anything but touring.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    I rode the lift last year with a guy your size and he swore by his ON3P C&D's.

Me?

Because I sure do!

Seriously, do yourself a favor and check out ON3P.

I'm 6'5" 320 Have and love 3 deferent ON3P skis, and liked all the others I've tried. They just make great skis, for skiers.

Want tails, they got skis with tails. But also, don't be scared of their rockered skis. I have C&D and Billygoats, and have no trouble with the rocker, trust the tails won't give out on you and ride the fuck out of them!

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Me?

Because I sure do!
    Maybe, Loveland, Chair 8. I was on my Wrens

I'm a legitimate 6'3", a lil over actually (half inch ish). 215 lbs, super low body fat, so I may not be as big but im close.

196 Governors are great for big guys, nice solid tail to rely on, and theyre pretty darn quick in trees for their size. Same with 191 and 198 Katanas, and the big 4frnt devastators or hojis.. I would never ski the 198, but you might be able to. There are some katanas still hanging around online i think.

If your looking for a new 2016 ski, Id go with the 193 Bodacious if I were you. Also the new 192 Bent Chetler is much burlier than the old one, and In turn is burlier than the old 195 super 7. Same goes for the 193 Patron, its more sturdy than the 195 Super 7 was.

As for a big mountain ski that'd be easy. the 194 moment belafonte was made for people your size.

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    Maybe, Loveland, Chair 8. I was on my Wrens

Probably not then. 2 seasons ago I was at LL all the time.

Last season I only skied Abasin, Breck, and CB. Spent rest of the time on sled.

I am not 6'8, but one of my good ski pals is and he went onto the 196 Renegade last year and loved it. Might feel like a big sized one ski quiver for most but at your size I think that rocket ship would do great work and the full rocker still lets that big turning radius pivot. And just to knock us all down a notch remember that the guy who designed that ski is a foot shorter and 100lbs lighter than you

I ride a 193 ON3P Cease and Desist (aka Great Scott) and it will have a wider radius than you might be seeking but as a five point that is burlier than a Super 7, the ride is better. I can't keep it too tight in the trees, but you may have issues on most skis designed for your length. Another option is a custom build. You may want to hit up some ski builders here like @splat or @iggyski etc to see if they will throw a little more side cut in one of there long skis for you. Mike at Surface might be able to as well.

I am bot as big as you in any dimension. Love the Cochise and would recommend it for turn and stability. I will follow up with some other good skis for you that may be from small manufacturers.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.