Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    no love for the hybrid insulating jackets?
    i'm a sweaty viking so that breathable underarm panel is key

Quote Originally Posted by stickz View Post
    In WA . . . I can't ever remember it being colder than like 15f. Normally in the mid 20s.
    That'd be western WA. It's not that unusual see below 0F E of the crest, e.g., top of Mission Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    That'd be western WA. It's not that unusual see below 0F E of the crest, e.g., top of Mission Ridge.
    Or even at Stevens during the ice age that normally happens in December for a few weeks on El Nino years. Other thing you run into on the east side is it can be very warm in the sun but cold in the shade or on exposed ridge due to the wind.

Layering question

Wanted to revisit this:

On colder days, I go with a base layer and fleece under a Flylow Higgins jacket. If it's a windy day, I do get cold with this combo, especially on non-bluebird days. Would a down layer instead of the fleece help? 650 or 800? Obviously I don't want to be too hot, but the fleece layer with the Higgins doesn't seem to cut it on cold days. This is for inbounds skiing. Thoughts?

Problem with a light down layer is that if you inevitably end up sweating through it the down clumps, doesn't keep you warm the rest of the day and is never really the same again, where as a synthetic like the nano-puff you don't need to worry about that

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Wanted to revisit this:

On colder days, I go with a base layer and fleece under a Flylow Higgins jacket. If it's a windy day, I do get cold with this combo, especially on non-bluebird days. Would a down layer instead of the fleece help? 650 or 800? Obviously I don't want to be too hot, but the fleece layer with the Higgins doesn't seem to cut it on cold days. This is for inbounds skiing. Thoughts?
    Polartec alpha or patagucci nano air.

So would a synthetic down layer be warmer than a fleece?

So would a synthetic down layer be warmer than a fleece?
    You might find it helpful to play with the Patagonia Kit Builder, it has a feature where it attempts to give a relative warmth rating to a variety of Patagonia mid layers (fleece, synthetic and down).

http://www.patagonia.com/us/layering...alpine-touring

If you're looking for a big step up in warmth from base/fleece/shell, you won't get it by simply switching the midlayer from fleece to synthetic insulation, some alternatives....

Switch your uninsulated shell for an insulated shell.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...ding?p=30473-0

Or switch the fleece for a semi-vapour barrier, eg a membrane fleece pullover (kind of old school).

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/tundra-fleece-pullover

Or carry a 600 gram Primaloft jacket in your pack. If it is cold wear it instead of / over the top of your shell.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/fitzroy-jacket

The 600g Primaloft jacket is my preferred option, but it does take up a lot of space in your pack.
    Last edited by Oceanic; 11-13-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Go on the lighter side of layering. It's a resort, you won't die, and shivering is a great weight loss program. Swamp sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I am wanting to change up my inbounds layering system this year. I have all merino base layers but am looking at getting a Patagonia nano puff jacket to go over my base layer then my shell.

Anyone run a similar set up? I have not owned a light down sweater, I usually run fleece under my shell. I am wanting to shed some weight as well as bulk. How well does the nano puff breath? To much heat retention for inbounds riding? I run a little on the warm side but my resort that I ride at is short on vert with longish chair rides so not a lot of time to work up a sweat skiing.
    TL;DR the other replies.
    For me, I need a bit more breathability and down or synthetic insulation gets way too hot unless it's really cold (see below).
    My go-to is an R3 jacket over a base layer two, covered by a hardshell with big events. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This is almost like "what bindings work best with Lange boots ?"

I ski at Big Sky, which is cold and windy. I gave up on trying to make layering work and now run insulated pants and jacket (Arcteryx).

Works for me, but probably won't work for most.
    Down is your friend. My favorite jacket for Lone Peak is my down FlyLow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I am wanting to change up my inbounds layering system this year. I have all merino base layers but am looking at getting a Patagonia nano puff jacket to go over my base layer then my shell.

Anyone run a similar set up? I have not owned a light down sweater, I usually run fleece under my shell. I am wanting to shed some weight as well as bulk. How well does the nano puff breath? To much heat retention for inbounds riding? I run a little on the warm side but my resort that I ride at is short on vert with longish chair rides so not a lot of time to work up a sweat skiing.
    Wanted to revisit this:

Get a higher loft fleece jacket or a nano puff type of layer if you're standing around. Incidentally, I've found the Higgins not all that great for resort skiing, unless it's warm. Too porous. I've found over the years, a proper hardshell is the ticket. I save my Higgins for backcountry meadow skipping and posing around town.

Nano puff breathes fine. There is nothing in the world that will breathe enough if you overheat. If you run hard on a hot day with no shirt at all you still get sweaty--right? People expect magic--the same clothes to keep you warm AND dry whether it's 50 above or 50 below. Ain't happening.
    If you're a little cold on the lift ride up and a little hot on the ski down you're doing it right. If you can't tolerate being hot or cold you should consider switching to ping pong.

Nano air vest. End thread.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Layering question

Layering is tough as it isn't versatile on the fly. Find an outerwear quiver that vents. I ski at Jay Peak which is as windy and frigid as about anywhere. I alternate thickness of single baselayer under my Higgins (pataguch capilene 1 or 2 but I do run hot and keep the energy level pretty high).
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Layering is tough as it isn't versatile on the fly. Find an outerwear quiver that vents. I ski at Jay Peak which is as windy and frigid as about anywhere. I alternate thickness of single baselayer under my Higgins (pataguch capilene 1 or 2 but I do run hot and keep the energy level pretty high).
    You wear 1 baselayer under the Higgins and are fine on a frigid VT day?

Yes. If single digits or neg and windy I will add a layer but rare. I only have extremity issues. Core runs abnormally hot. I may be a freak.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Yes. If single digits or neg and windy I will add a layer but rare. I only have extremity issues. Core runs abnormally hot. I may be a freak.
    Sounds freaky

Saw this online....with 40% off, it's $60 shipped. Primaloft, like the Nano. Thoughts on whether it's comparable?

https://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-457131_A7.html

Maybe try an insulated hardshell?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It ain't rocket biology, doesn't matter a whole bunch what you wear in bounds as long as you are warm and everyone is different, I use an old MEC gortex/light loft (or sft) with huge pockets for sandwiches googles a flask ect, if its too warm open some zips, if its too cold do them up

back country is entirely different
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-14-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds freaky

Saw this online.... Primaloft, like the Nano. Thoughts on whether it's comparable?

https://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-457131_A7.html
    The LandsEnd top is 80gsm Primaloft Silver, the Patagonia top is 60gsm Primaloft Gold. So they will be similar in warmth, but the Patagonia jacket will pack down smaller. Plus more women will want to have sex with you if you buy the Patagonia one.

Still think you should look at an insulated hardshell though.

I started using an insulated event shell a few years ago and I love it for frigid east coast days. I sweat, and there is no way I would ever use down at the resort. If I ended up skiing a top to bottom mogul run, or hiked uphill for a bit I'd wet it out.

I got my ex-girlfriend to start using a vapor barrier on cold days at the resort and she loved it. However she wouldn't use it the right way. She'd be sweating but just liked feeling super warm. I use a VB on cold days in the bc but never at the resort.

Layering question

When it gets cold, its all about the insulated hardshell. Way less bulk and way more freedom of movement. Much better venting too. You can directly bypass the insulation - can't do that with layers. I often use it on medium cold days too - with a silkweight baselayer. Kicks the snot out of a thick baselayer or fleece and a hardshell. Hands down a better option than a regular hardshell for all but the warmer days in the Rockies.

Honestly, I don't even own a regular hardshell for resort riding anymore. I go between an insulated hardshell and a polartec powershield jacket. The ventilation is just way better with either.

Any recs for insulated hard shells to look at?

I like my OR vanguard for cold inbounds. I think it's called white room now. A guy had some on gear swap for $225 new. Thread was called New OR gear for discount I think. It's gore shell with thicker fleece. Great pockets and features
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Layering question

Why doesn't the LL Bean Primaloft packable jacket get any props?

Same with the Eddie Bauer Ignitor and MH Thermostatic - no love?
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 11-27-2015 at 07:59 PM.