Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I dig it. They're hopefully feeling pressure from all the 40/42-tooth conversion cogs out and the new wider range cassettes on their way. I am gonna rethink things come mid summer when they all come out to market.

~$150 to get a 10-speed 11-40 cassette, or
    ~$320 to get on the new 11-speed standard

Ultimately, I think its the hub conversion thats keeping me from going this route.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

123 pins per cassette. That scares me the most.

SRAM GX goup, yay or nay

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    123 pins per cassette. That scares me the most.
    With only the inboard end of the cassette engaging splines on the freehub body, there is going to be a good amount of torsion carried within the cassette.

Are the individual cogs profiled to interlock to transfer the shear, or is all of the shear carried by the pins? If it does have an interlocking profile, the compression of tightening the lockring will hold the cassette together and the pins are a non-issue.

Either way, it's nice to see 1x11 coming down in price. I am anxious for 11 speed XT and SLX to push things further.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I am anxious for 11 speed XT and SLX to push things further.
    There's no way I would consider an 11-40 1x11 setup when you can get the same range from 1x10 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's no way I would consider an 11-40 1x11 setup when you can get the same range from 1x10 now.
    Yeah fair enough, but the Shimano 11 speed XTR is similar in price to 10 speed XTR, so I'd assume SLX and XT will be as well. And given the choice, I'd go with a system designed for that gear range rather than modifying a system to work beyond its design parameters.

Looks like they cut weight from the crankset. My X1 cranks were 850 grams. They felt like machined steel. The GX ones are advertised at 650, which isn't that bad all things considered.

All things considered, I'd be happy to switch back for the new XTR 11, but would like to get some time riding it first, of course.

No incentive at this point. The 30t x 11-40 ten speed setups I've got are working beautifully, are way cheaper, don't require me to purchase a hub driver, etc.

I can't see doing it for my existing rides. Maybe if building up from scratch and starting with all new stuff vs. just swapping parts to a new frame, or on a new bike obviously. Otherwise? Meh. I suppose if an entire drive-train setup is trashed and needs replacement.

Or at some point in the future, whenever ten speed stuff starts to dry up a bit I suppose. Looks good though, and am glad to see it coming to lower price-points. They are going to sell a shit ton of the stuff.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    Ultimately, I think its the hub conversion thats keeping me from going this route.
    Yep. I'll stick with a 1 x 10 with a 36 tooth cassette.

Yeah fair enough, but the Shimano 11 speed XTR is similar in price to 10 speed XTR, so I'd assume SLX and XT will be as well. And given the choice, I'd go with a system designed for that gear range rather than modifying a system to work beyond its design parameters.
    That's not really a fair comparison since going 11-40 1x10 only requires a new cassette. If I'm going 1x11 and plunking down for a new shifter, RD, cassette and hub I don't see any reason to choose Shimano over SRAM if Shimano doesn't expand the range of their 11-speed cassette (and I've been on an SLX drivetrain for years and would love to stick with Shimano).
    Last edited by Dantheman; 04-03-2015 at 10:32 AM.

SRAM GX goup, yay or nay

Can't imagine needing 2x11, course I'm still running 3x9 and 26" wheels. Glad to see trickle down starting to trickle down tho
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 04-03-2015 at 07:13 AM.

Just saw two guys last weekend with 42t add ons along with a triple crank. So maybe 2x11 has a market. I don't get it though. My 65 year old mother in law rides a 24x36 up steep ass shit so who knows.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I still think Shimano really missed the boat on this one. Shimano is primarily focused on the millions and millions of dollars they make on fishing stuff, then secondarily focused on the millions of dollars they make on road bike stuff. Given that MTB is such a small niche for them, it's no wonder their marketing and engineers approached change with a roadie biased FD and electronic shifting centered drivetrain. Now 3rd parties are making a killing out of this misfire.

My drivetrain needs:
    11-42T 10sp semi light cassette that shifts well and fits on a 10sp free hub.
    Mid range RD that's durable and shifts well with the big cassette.
    Mid range semi light SLX/XT crankset with either a spiderless chainring (ala sram X9) or a BCD that can accommodate 26-28T chainrings.
    Affordable 10sp chains. Thanks KMC!

This all exists. I'm just tired of ghettoing it all together and I'm 100% certain that if Shimano gave a rats ass about it they could make it all work flawlessly, just like all the shit they're making right now.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    Yep. I'll stick with a 1 x 10 with a 36 tooth cassette.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    My drivetrain needs:
    11-42T 10sp semi light cassette...Mid range semi light SLX/XT crankset that can accommodate 26-28T chainrings.
    I can't imagine there are too many other people out there interested in having 26x11 as their top gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Can't imagine needing 2x11, course I'm still running 3x9 and 26" wheels. Glad to see trickle down starting to trickle down tho
    Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    Just saw two guys last weekend with 42t add ons along with a triple crank. So maybe 2x11 has a market. I don't get it though. My 65 year old mother in law rides a 24x36 up steep ass shit so who knows.
    Straight up the fall line? lol.
    11-42 with a 32t chainring in ten speed seems tempting if I wanted to throw a bunch of money at my bike.
    Also, don't like it when cranks don't seem particularly bashguard compatible.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

As much a people grumble about 10vs11, road has topped out at 11 and I imagine mtn will too. Eventually everything will slot into place and in 3-5 years everything will be (fairly) standardized.

Says my smoke spouting ass.

With only the inboard end of the cassette engaging splines on the freehub body, there is going to be a good amount of torsion carried within the cassette.

Are the individual cogs profiled to interlock to transfer the shear, or is all of the shear carried by the pins? If it does have an interlocking profile, the compression of tightening the lockring will hold the cassette together
    I imagine they have thought of all of this. Thankfully gone are the days of shite drivetrains. Things look better and better every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Preeeety much says it.

Why, if it could be 11-42 and an 9 speed that would be even better.
    8,9,10 are too close for my liking in the 11-42 10 speed gearing.

less gears, more range, please and thank you.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I think I'd like to be able to have the option to do a build it myself 10 speed cassette. Some places necessitate a tighter spacing at the low end and some through the middle. Most of the places I ride I could go tight 1-5 or 6 and others wide at the low end and tight 4-8. I pretty much never need a cog smaller than 13 or 14 because the bike never sees pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    less gears, more range, please and thank you.
    I know, right? I'm always thinking "man, I love my 30x11-36, if only it were a 7-speed and the steps between gears were 20% bigger!"
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Otoh, the shifting is amazing and I have to wonder if some of that is because of how close the gears are both physically and ratio wise.
    No longer stuck.

Otoh, the shifting is amazing and I have to wonder if some of that is because of how close the gears are both physically and ratio wise.
    It is because it is new.

Even low end shifting is amazing at first. It is after a year or so is the question. In the throw away society of high end mtn bike culture that rarely seems to matter any more.

It's been a year or so.
    All SLX with Shadow+ clutch.
    No longer stuck.

I bet a 6pak of brown pops there will be cheap 11spd on everything next spring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know