Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Sweating your nuts off hold any interest for you?
    FIFY.

Just go to Yellowstone. There is plenty to do outside of the park and plenty of places to camp. I'm guessing you've done the SW Colorado thing maybe without your kid but it's the perfect age to get excited about elk, deer and all the other shit that you or I take for granted.

http://www.petswelcome.com/vacations...ycare-boarding

Go to Ystone

Board the dogs while you're in the Park.

When hauling the trailer, map the miles to the destination, divide by 50 and that will tell you how long it will take to drive. Trust me on this. You can't go as fast and you have to stop more frequently for gas. It's worked very well for me in the past.
    BLM land is free and you can camp anywhere. Lewis and Clark NF had some really great primitive sites and, first come first served. Ystone will need reservations and you may already be too late. In RV campgrounds always go for water and electric hookups when available. It helps in keeping the batteries topped off. The ac comes in handy in July and can only be run when hooked up. Unless you have already bought a generator and even then you can't run it during quiet time. No need for sewer as you can dump on the way out at most places.

Why would you put your dogs in a kennel on a camping vacation? If your dog can't kick it outside at camp, chase a couple of chipys and bark at whatever the fuck it feels like, why'd you get a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I am going to try and push Mesa Verde as a spot, but Chaco is probably too hot and dusty, I think.
    OK, Chaco is hot that time of year.
    But again, the route from MV to Telluride along the Dolores River is gorgeous and has lots of dog and kid friendly plash spots. Lizard Head Pass is a great meadow, then there's T-ride. Unfortunately the Rico Hotel is closed, but that was a super sweet spot for food. Alta Lakes, Ophir, are all great places to visit.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Why would you put your dogs in a kennel on a camping vacation? If your dog can't kick it outside at camp, chase a couple of chipys and bark at whatever the fuck it feels like, why'd you get a dog?
    yep. totally agree, and that's why I never go to NPs as a general rule. If I'm going camping, dog is my copilot. that said, I don't want to say that I'm never ever going to take my daughter to Yellowstone, or that I have to wait till the 2 dogs die before I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    OK, Chaco is hot that time of year.
    But again, the route from MV to Telluride along the Dolores River is gorgeous and has lots of dog and kid friendly plash spots. Lizard Head Pass is a great meadow, then there's T-ride. Unfortunately the Rico Hotel is closed, but that was a super sweet spot for food. Alta Lakes, Ophir, are all great places to visit.
    Oh, I know that stuff very well, lived in Durango for 6 years. I'm going to try and sell it, just not sure if I will be successful.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Couple years ago we stayed in Paradise Valley just north of Yellowstone. Didn't do much in the park, mostly hiked around the Absarokas in NF land where we could take the doggy. On the way up though Rover (in the car) got into a disagreement with a bull bison that just happened to be walking by. The obligatory "bear jam" had us stuck and the understandably indignant bison was about 10 feet from my car giving us the stink eye while my GSD went ape shit in the backseat. I was expecting a charge any minute while the carload of Japanese tourists in front of us got all their pictures taken. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed and we and the bison went about our business. So yeah, if you're going to spend a lot of time in the park, leave the dog home or maybe consider a boarding facility in the area...
    The Sheriff is near!

If your daughter is into dinosaur's head up to buffalo, WY, over the bighorns through tensleep (super cool pass and canyon) through thermopolis(huge hot springs like mammoth in Yellowstone).

Can't remember if the Dino museum is in thermopolis or worland, either way it is a good stop, through bighorn canyon to lander. Over towgetee pass into Yellowstone area.

Both parks are cool, float the snake below the Tetons super scenic, if you have any sort of river skill rent a raft from leisure sports in Jackson your family will love it.

I am thinking of a similar trip this summer with the dog as well, so more time outside the park than in which is pretty easy.

Check the Jackson calendar for a night of figure racing at the fairgrounds to get your redneck on.

Oh, I know that stuff very well, lived in Durango for 6 years. I'm going to try and sell it, just not sure if I will be successful.
    So you're going to have your wife read these miscreant ravings?

Another option:
    From Fruita, go N to Douglas Pass. This is pretty and is on the way to Dinosaur National Monument, a very cool spot. The up into the Flaming Gorge from there. Again, close to home and very kid/dog friendly (except when you're in the Nat. Dino. Mnmt tour). Flaming Gorge is spectacular with lots of water activities.

Danno, check with Baetis. I know he did a lot of trips in the NP in that camper of yours, and I believe he brought dogs. I'm thinking that he may have come up with a solution to what to do with the dogs while you're in the park. You can also find someplace to base camp outside of the park and then just do day trips in the truck while the dogs enjoy the camper life.

I'd go up to Curt Gowdy State Park for a couple of days of riding, and then head up to Jackson from there. If I remember correctly, there's a campground right outside of GTNP that allows dogs. I'm sure that if you dig around, you'll find that there are a few options like that around the parks. I have friends in Driggs and Sandpoint, and would be happy to get in touch with them for their recommendations. From there it's not much farther to the PNW. I remember how amazing the rainforest was to me when I was 6...head out to the Olympic Peninsula. There's good riding all the way along that corridor. You could even fly out from Seattle and then let the girls continue onto the Peninsula.

I'll be headed on a similar trajectory in August when I head to WA to see mom. It's a lot of driving, but it's damn pretty country.

We pulled our camper to the Redwoods and really enjoyed a week exploring one place. However after totaling up the gas bill decided if we cant drive it one day a better trade off was working the days we spent driving and flying renting a car and room cabin. That said it leaves out the dogs. So I'd drive to Dino then up to Jackson. Hit West Yellowstone, Thru the Park up to Cooke City. after a cheeseburger in paradise east to Devils Tower. Then onto the Black Hills see the faces on the mountain. Then you're only 5-6 hours from home. Give me a ring but have you CO Wy gazateer I'll share my secret campgrounds. We're headed to Sand Dunes in a few hours for a 3-day weekend. Dog friendly for a Nat'l Park.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'd say hit western NM and Southeast AZ if you want a back up. The Chihuahuas, Dragoons, and the Silver City/Gila area are right up your alley. Not too bad of a drive to station in that zone either. You all would love it.
    It can be awfully fucking hot in that country certain times of the year.

Edit: I came into the thread late and didn't read it all before I responded. Even though it's a long drive from the PRB, the NorCal/Oregon Coast is nice in summer.

Maybe cruise up through Wyoming to Mt Rushmore. Custer State Park is pretty darn nice. Badlands are cool to see. Rapid City and Sturgis are fun to pass through. Some neat caves up there to tour and explore. Lots of kiddie oriented stuff to do and see like Bear Country and Reptile Gardens. And, or course, Wall Drug. It's a lot of driving but I think you could break it up pretty easily. Maybe hit Devil's Tower on the way up or back. Dunno if I'd personally choose it over a trip through the San Juans but it's worth considering as an option.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Yellowstone and western Montana trip, I've sent many friends with kids on similar and they all have fun. Glacier if you can or want to, but between the two parks are plenty of fun and cool spots. Old ghost towns, mining places, lots of lakes. Dino museum in Bozeman. Cool lakes up the Seeley/Swan Lakes valley. Bannack for old west touristy experience. Etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Maybe cruise up through Wyoming to Mt Rushmore.
    Mt. Rushmore is the shittiest goddamn place I have ever been. Fuck that entire area, it's horrible.

Someone on here recommended this place to me a long time ago and I have been three times now. http://fossilsafari.com/ It is just outside of Kemmerer, Wyoming and the kids love it. You can also make some money if you are into selling back your fossils. We never did but we always left with more that what we paid to get in. My oldest found a fossil fish that was bigger than the one in the Smithsonian. While looking at it a curator came up and was talking to my son about it and my kid said, mine is bigger. The curator was really interested so he followed us to the car and looked at our samples. He was very impressed and made my kid feel like he was Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park.

Fossil Butte National Monument is a great place to stop before you go to Kemmerer. Wonderland Cave near Mt. Rushmore is really cool too. Yellowstone is also a safari and the kid will be amazed at all the wildlife. Dinosaur National Monument is fun. When we were there the visitor center was closed because the foundation was cracking or something. They let us go on some trails where you see Dinosaur bones sticking out of the rock walls, bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Mt. Rushmore is the shittiest goddamn place I have ever been. Fuck that entire area, it's horrible.
    Dude...have you no heart. Flintstone's Museum, Crazy Horse, soft serve and greasy cheeseburger? It's like a Chevy Chase movie in real life. What could be more fun than that. And oh..if you're serious, you've never been to Niagra Falls.

I'm throwing a vote in for the greater yellowstone area. Beartooth pass is a crazy drive,and hanging out on the plateau is fun, early enough with a big spring and you could get some turns in. Animals in lamar valley, cool, worth a drive thru, but won't be the highlight. As I think was mentioned, camp outside of gardiner.... or even better, rent a Raft and do an overnight float on the yellowstone. I took the wife and 8 month old, dog, and gear past summer, fish are easy to pull out of the mellow yellowstone, Lots of camp sites , shuttles are plenty and pretty cheap, float into livingston, pretty cool little town. That covers three- four days. If the little dude has never seen caverns, lewis and Clark caverns about two hours away is a fun day trip, float the Jefferson river in inner tubes, mellow river, there is two more days, drive back down through ennis to west yellowstone, spend one more day in the park with geothermal features then bam,on the way home. If this sounds fun and you want more details or specifics, feel free to pm.

update: it looks like I am going to be able to take 2 weeks off. And the objective is the pacific coast. With the camper. Probably northern CA/southern OR? But could be convinced to go further north.

Any suggestions? Just took a peak at Prairie Creek Redwoods and it appears almost everything is booked up, with no first come first served sites. Will we be able to get campsites at some cool spots?
    Last edited by Danno; 05-13-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

update: it looks like I am going to be bale to take 2 weeks off. And the objective is the pacific coast. With the camper. Probably northern CA/southern OR?

Any suggestions? Just took a peak at Prairie Creek Redwoods and it appears almost everything is booked up, with no first come first served sites. Will we be able to get campsites at some cool spots?
    If it's hot inland the Oregon coast will be very busy. Last summer, in August, we had to sleep in the car. Every hotel on the Oregon Coast was booked full. 100 degrees in Portland that week.

Enjoy, Southern Oregon Coast is awesome and the road is very smooth.

Oregon coast is one of the coolest places I've been. Walk the beaches at low tide, your kid will love all the cool shit that washes up.

yeah, I'm definitely into this idea. I haven't been to the northern CA coast in 12 years, and not to the OR coast in 20+. But the thought of researching everything is daunting.

But the thought of researching everything is daunting.
    If you've got a camper, you could easily spend a week around Gold Beach, leaving your camper at either of the places I mentioned and day tripping from there to Smith River/Cresent City (50 miles from GB) and Prairie Creek (65 miles).

http://www.goldbeach.org/index.php/l...-parks-camping

Gold Beach is far enough away so that it's not as crowded or expensive as other coast locales.

Jet boat/drive up along the Rogue.
    Horseback ride the beach around Pistol River.
    Eat at Anna's By The Sea.
    Get a night at Ireland's Rustic Cabins with a view of the ocean.
    Cape Blanco is the Westernmost point on Continental US.
    Humbug Mountain is really cool for a hike.

We go down there every year in mid to late July
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 05-13-2015 at 07:07 AM.

what 2 places in Gold Beach? I didn't see where you mentioned ones...

I've posted this information too much then; can't remember where.

More basic:
    http://indiancreekrv.com/index.php

More high end:
    http://www.turtlerockresorts.com/

And the whole list above.

Also, I got the mileage from GB to Cresent City wrong: it's more like 50 miles along the coast. Jedediah Smith River is really, really cool as is the Stout Grove. There's lots of campgrounds up the Smith too like the Jed Smith Campground, the Hiouchi Campground, Panther Flat (no hookups), Grassy Flat (no hookups), etc.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 05-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.

thanks mang!