Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    for those that have swapped to the alpine sole. I assume you had to do some dremmeling if you want to be able to still use the tech inserts. I'm sitting on a pair of these and a pair of Technica Mach1's. Completely different boots, but I'm leaning towards keeping these as the 1 does all when I'm not touring in the MastraleRs's.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? I have this boot. I have both sets of soles. And I have never had to use a dremel on them in any way so far. Can you explain where/why you figure you might need this?

Same here; no need to dremmel anything? Remove AT Lug Style - attach DIN Style - done.

3rd on the power strap - removed the stock strap right out of the box and added the booster.

Initial try with the white tongue... definitely too soft. Orange tongue (130+?) felt somewhat stiff, especially in 3D conditions, so I modified the orange tongue to suit me. Maybe 125+ now and a tad softer towards the inside by nicking the top rib just a little bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160315_172814.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	180651

Really getting along with the boot. Look forward to someone's take on the 2016-17 carbon (white) version to determine if there is any discernible difference other than weight. I did see it up close and the wtr metal fitting is slightly different but, the boot profile is identical. I had no trouble with the wtr feature.

Tecnica was good enough to sell me an extra set of Cochise powerstraps. Gonna install those and see how they ride.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Hello Cabrio lovers.

I have been ski my Lupo ti around 130days every winter since they came out. I really like the progressive flex.
    But when wanting to ski hard in pist or go in the GS gates i feel they are a bit soft. And when the temp gets above freezing it gets worse even
    I have Strolz injectionliners in that increases the flex a bit.
    Do anyone know if there is any stiffer "A" flex cabrio tongues available that could be modified to fit?
    Since there is both D, C and B rated tongues, I would guess som A flex tongues must have been produced for som Cabrio boot?

Cheers, Gunnar
    the Norwegian patroler

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    And when the temp gets above freezing it gets worse even
    Same here. I am thinking about an Intuition Powerwarp liner to replace the stock intuition liner. I use them in my Mercuries and it makes a big difference. With Powerwaps, my Mercs are initially stiffer than my Lupos, but then collapse when flexed.

I also wish the Lupo top buckle was a bit higher. Booster straps are mandatory.

Shit, edit: I have the 110 ID model. Did not realize that the TI model were 130 flex. I thought they were the same besides the TI's. 110's are often too soft in the first movement of the flex, and then sometimes too soft later in the flex. This is pronounced in warm weather. For reference, I do not weigh very much.
    Last edited by neck beard; 04-21-2016 at 03:43 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

For sure that top buckle is too low. Second the Booster strap to snug the top of the cuff up some.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
    Hello Cabrio lovers.

I have been ski my Lupo ti around 130days every winter since they came out. I really like the progressive flex.
    But when wanting to ski hard in pist or go in the GS gates i feel they are a bit soft. And when the temp gets above freezing it gets worse even
    I have Strolz injectionliners in that increases the flex a bit.
    Do anyone know if there is any stiffer "A" flex cabrio tongues available that could be modified to fit?
    Since there is both D, C and B rated tongues, I would guess som A flex tongues must have been produced for som Cabrio boot?

Cheers, Gunnar
    the Norwegian patroler
    The 'A' tongue used to be available in Europe. It did not have the same progressive flex and was much more just stiff as fuck, also prone to cracking. Not sure if it is still available.

Dalbello's 16/17 site is up and the new Lupo Carbon TI is shown along with a new boot, the Lupo Plus TI which fits in between the Carbon and this years Lupo TI ID. The only difference between the Plus and the ID that I can see is the liner, the TI having a wrap style Max Hike Liner like the Lupo SP and the Plus having the Max Hike Light tongue style liner found in the Carbon TI. If the Carbon TI is as good as it sounds, it could be a one boot does everything boot with swappable DIN/Touring soles like this years TI only with much more range of motion and much lighter weight. (Edit) Upon closer examination, it seems as if the new TI plus also has the removable tongue feature of the the Carbon Model, but with the same shell as the TI while the carbon has a new lighter shell and repositioned top buckle. Interesting . . .

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetdog View Post
    The only difference between the Plus and the ID that I can see is the liner,
    The plus also appears to have a powerstrap. And by website eyeballing, perhaps the top buckle of the carbon's top buckle is higher.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by deft_funk View Post
    Sidenote here but was of interest to me as I continue to look for a low volume touring boot... Talked to a Dalbello guy when trying on the Lupo carbon (and expressing dismay at the fit). He basically said grilamid will shrink by almost a full size in length coming out of the mold, unlike PU. I got the sense they (Dalbello) weren't totally psyched on the fit of the carbons either but it's A) expensive to do molds as has been said and B) I'm sure they are trying to get a light option to market fast. I imagine it is a pretty big pain in the ass to figure out exactly how everything is going to shrink to dial in the fit. It also may get trickier with the smallest and largest sizes as the relative shrinkage of length to width and height may change, although that's just speculation on my part.

It explains why even though the MTN Lab is based on the X-max last the fit is different for sure (and I think not as dialed as the X-max which is one of the best selling low volume lasts on the market), and why it's not quite as easy as simply porting over a known winner from an alpine (PU) shell into a lighter boot. I only tried the Freetour on briefly but my impression was that it wasn't quite as dialed in as an RX, although that was a pretty quick assessment and didn't have boots on back to back to compare.
    Seems like fit issues could be the only hangup. Hopefully it's not too bad. I love the mercury fit, just don't like the flex performance. I know the Lupo won't be like a mercury, but i could take a hit in the fit to gain some sweet flex. I made the OG kryptons work for a few years and loved them, and those things had all the contours of a bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Look forward to someone's take on the 2016-17 carbon (white) version to determine if there is any discernible difference other than weight. I did see it up close and the wtr metal fitting is slightly different but, the boot profile is identical. I had no trouble with the wtr feature.
    From the pictures I saw it looked like the new carbons were moving to the taller cuff height of the Kryptons. Any truth to that? The low cuff is my main issue with the feel of my Sherpas.

The new Carbons are Kryptons, or rather Lupos, which are a Krypton with a walk mode and replaceable soles.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 08-05-2016 at 03:29 AM.

Does anybody know if the Lupo Carbon is coming in with the same BSL as the Krypton/Lupo?

My understanding is that it is the same.

Ok got some 25s to try

Some weight breakdowns

Shell and liner w/o tongue:

Liner:

Tongue (only B tongues included in the box):

Shell:

In haven't tried the kr2 or regular lupo but comparing too a mercury they seem similar.

Even with the thin pw liner I use in a 25 tlt5, that's snug as fuck, it snugs up nicely. Read: not too high volume.

Walk mode is great and smooth through the range with stock liner. Little stiff with PW as to be expected.

Stiffness feeling like a Mercury?

$1000 is a lot for a 1750g boot these days. Does it do anything else?

Also, what do you do with the giant power strap when your touring? Does it rub against your shin? I don't really see these being great for anything but the odd slackcountry lap...

Stiffness: When I skied them at OR they were stiffer than the mercury. Didn't really get a feel for the forward flex then, just seemed stiff. Carpet testing say it's got good 3 piece forward flex, but stout in the rear.

Selling point: seems like the walk mode would be the differentiating factor from this year's new crop of 1700-1800 lighter sidecountry boots. As good as the Mercury. Even good with a PW, which the Zero G Guide Pro, for example, doesn't even move with a PW inside.

Is it worth 200g to have a Vulcan with a real 3 piece flex? You decide.

Top Strap: You can pretty much keep it closed and it tours ok. There is an extendable "touring" latch that gives full range though, no flapping.

Not pushing them, I'm just reporting. I just ordered them to try.
    Last edited by JRainey; 10-03-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos n shit

Just messing with them a bit more. They've got a great snug fit for sure. Little tighter in the toebox than the mercury, titch looser in the heel, but similar.

Walk mode is better than the mercury when middle buckle is closed, because it doesn't have that light, "cover" tongue.

These boots are seriously overbuilt, then could easily have been made lighter. The hardware is all full alpine hardware. The replaceable soles don't help. I understand they needed to work off the KR/lupo platform. I think I could lose the bottom buckle, personally.

Conclusion: Touring boot bones, with a little too much muscle.
    Last edited by JRainey; 10-04-2016 at 07:23 AM.

I noticed they moved the top buckle up on this years carbon model. Nice change except there's no room for a power strap now. But it may not make much difference now that the top buckle is up higher on the cuff, plus it probably cut a few grams.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

A higher strap is good. But I kinda came to like the powerstrap on my Lupos.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    $1000 is a lot for a 1750g boot these days. Does it do anything else?
    Hopefully flex like an alpine boot.... unlike any other walk mode 1750gm boot available, or at least those that fit my foot (Merc).
    Life is not lift served.

The 'A' tongue used to be available in Europe. It did not have the same progressive flex and was much more just stiff as fuck, also prone to cracking. Not sure if it is still available.
    I think Bode got the last two pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    A higher strap is good. But I kinda came to like the powerstrap on my Lupos.

Hopefully flex like an alpine boot.... unlike any other walk mode 1750gm boot available, or at least those that fit my foot (Merc).
    All of the following are between 1450g and 1850g and cost less. The cross over ski boot market has come a long way in the last two years. I am still a huge fan of the Lupo series of boots (especially the Ti). Their prices however, are a little high for 2016.

- Lange XT Free Tour
    - Tecnica Cochise
    - Tecnica ZeroG (like 115flex, but still much more alpine like than a Vulcan or Mercury)
    - Salomon QST - this should be close in fit to a Mercury, but tighter in the heel and ankle.
    Dynafit Beast

All of the following are between 1450g and 1850g and cost less.
    - Salomon QST - this should be close in fit to a Mercury, but tighter in the heel and ankle.
    This boot has been totally off my radar. 3 buckle, 130 flex @1550g? Lighter, stiffer, and cheaper than a Mtn Lab?? 100-106 mm stated last but you're claiming tighter heel pocket than the Vulcan (and therefore than the Mtn Lab, despite a wider last)? I'm shocked.

But no tech fittings...??
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos