Page 82 of 109 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2711
    I second the Corvus. Cochise used to be my favorite ski, the Corvus just does groomers better and it’s a little more lively at the bottom end.

Thanks for the input and discussion all. I hadn't really been thinking of the Corvus this time around. I think my previous thoughts were that it might be too similar to the Cochise to warrant adding it to a quiver that will retain the Cochise. Maybe I'm wrong?

Mount point is a good consideration that I should have touched on in my previous post. I am comfortable/happy on a fairly wide range of mounts it seems. I have OG Bibby 190s mounted at -6, OG Deathwish 190s at -6 (-1 from recommended), 189 Billygoats a smidge forward of the line, 184 Steeple 108s on the line and OG Cochise 185s on the line. The Deathwish is the only one out of these that occasionally feels too forward for my tastes. This is probably due to me trying to ski it like a Billygoat in pow/crud and less to do with the mount point... All of that said, I like the idea of something a little more progressive than the Cochise, but not into the realm of freestyle skis for this spot in the quiver. I don't flip/spin, but I get into the air as much as possible and love finding natural transfers. The Steeple is actually pretty fun in this role, but leaves a lot on the table when it comes to groomer performance. I know the Deathwish fans will just say ski it, but it doesn't have that metal feel and grip on hardpack that I am looking for, and the forward mount leads to lots of tail in tight bumps etc. I really should move this ski along, but that's a different thread...

Given all of that, I guess my questions are how much of a speed limit does the 186 Enforcer 104 have? Is it noticeably smoother/grippier than a Woods 102? Can a Rustler 9 hang with these skis? Is the Corvus the obvious answer?

If I could demo I would, but I can't, so I'm relying on the collective's experience for input. My bet is that I would be pretty stoked on any of these skis, but I'd like to get as close to the unicorn as possible since I am splitting hairs to begin with.

I found the Corvus pretty meh. Was looking for a replacement for my OG Katana but sold them after some days. Kinda quite OK on everything but not really good in a particular scenario.

Wren 102ti perhaps? Stance 102?

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Ok mags, I'm looking for some input from the collective. I am pretty sure that I am looking for the unicorn that is the Rustler 10.5 or the Cochise 102 - you know, that ski that bridges the gap between the OG Cochise and the Rustler 10 that Blizzard doesn't make.
    The OG Cochise is in this spot right now, and I love many things about it. If it was just a touch more willing to be bent into smaller turns on groomers and a little more willing to pop into the air off of its tails while retaining the ability to drift and smear at will while being so buttery smooth on edge at speed through whatever it is pointed at it would be perfect. Coming to life somewhere south of 60 km/h would be nice too.

Since Blizzard doesn't seem all that interested in making this ski I am looking at other options. Lead candidates from my reading of other threads etc are Nordica Enforcer 104FR, J skis Masterblaster, ON3P Woods 102 and Fischer 102. Input from anyone who has spent time on the OG Cochise and transitioned into any of these skis in this class of "slightly more playful/versatile, yet damp and stable skis" would be most appreciated, as I can't demo any of them. This will fill my low tide lift served spot in the quiver. I'll keep the Cochise and have other options for deeper snow, so pow performance isn't really a consideration. Not interested in going much narrower in the interest of off-piste/funk performance.

What say ye?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Try the new Cochise.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This, have you tried the new Cochise?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

What length Cochise are you guys skiing? I like the 183 Corvus. 177 Cochise for tight and 185 for open terrain?

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I found the Corvus pretty meh. Was looking for a replacement for my OG Katana but sold them after some days. Kinda quite OK on everything but not really good in a particular scenario.
    can I ask your height and weight? Seems like you have to be a bit of a big boy to ski the Corvus and get life out of them, seems like a bit of metal. I’m also looking at both the Cochise and the Corvus. Saw some new Cochise in the shop today, they barely have any camber to them, maybe 1.5 mm on per ski, if I was being generous, so they seem pretty close except the Cochise has the bigger sidecut.

What's Blizzard up to?

I‘m 185 cm and 85 kg. My Corvus was 188 cm. I‘m a MF108 fanboi now, but to each their own.
    I barely noticed the metal in Corvus. It’s pretty light and not very well damped. The flat and stiff tails were to hooky in weird snow for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I‘m 185 cm and 85 kg. My Corvus was 188 cm. I‘m a MF108 fanboi now, but to each their own.
    I barely noticed the metal in Corvus. It’s pretty light and not very well damped. The flat and stiff tails were to hooky in weird snow for my taste.

roQer what MF108 length are you on now? The 182 or the 192?

I skied the MF108 in a 182 and I didn’t get along with that at all. It wanted a very upright stance it seemed like. I was wondering if it was just too short and it was getting over powered when I got on it. I only ask because I don’t like my 188 Corvus like I like my 183.

I‘m on a 192. It skis quite short for its length so I can image 182 might be on the shorter side for lots of folks.
    That’s currently my R10.5. To be honest, though, I haven’t really skied my R11 192 which I truly loved since 1 year because the MF108 is just more versatile for everyday conditions. Even on powder days I don’t feel very much of difference between those two in terms of floatation so the R11 stays mostly home.
    Both are chargy and easy to handle at the same time with a slight nod to MF108 for maneuverability and playfulness.

What's Blizzard up to?

Got some nice Blizzard additions this week…186 Bods and 188 Rustler 9’s.

Skibrd - I’m trying the R9’s because of your affinity for them and we tend to like similar skis (except I don’t hate all ON3P’s ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1643851145.985259.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	404193
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post

Skibrd - I’m trying the R9’s because of your affinity for them and we tend to like similar skis (except I don’t hate all ON3P’s ).

I'm both a little mad and a little relieved you bought those Bodes before I got to them. I've got one good pair (and one beat to shit, delamming pair) left and I kind of want to hoard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post

I really like the R9, I hope you do too, and if you don’t, let me know!

I don’t hate all ON3P, I just haven’t found any that have been worth my time, and it’s a ton of fun to get the fan boi’s all riled up. I don’t get the hype, but maybe some day I’ll try a few more pairs. But probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Ok mags, I'm looking for some input from the collective. I am pretty sure that I am looking for the unicorn that is the Rustler 10.5 or the Cochise 102 - you know, that ski that bridges the gap between the OG Cochise and the Rustler 10 that Blizzard doesn't make.
    The OG Cochise is in this spot right now, and I love many things about it. If it was just a touch more willing to be bent into smaller turns on groomers and a little more willing to pop into the air off of its tails while retaining the ability to drift and smear at will while being so buttery smooth on edge at speed through whatever it is pointed at it would be perfect. Coming to life somewhere south of 60 km/h would be nice too.

Since Blizzard doesn't seem all that interested in making this ski I am looking at other options. Lead candidates from my reading of other threads etc are Nordica Enforcer 104FR, J skis Masterblaster, ON3P Woods 102 and Fischer 102. Input from anyone who has spent time on the OG Cochise and transitioned into any of these skis in this class of "slightly more playful/versatile, yet damp and stable skis" would be most appreciated, as I can't demo any of them. This will fill my low tide lift served spot in the quiver. I'll keep the Cochise and have other options for deeper snow, so pow performance isn't really a consideration. Not interested in going much narrower in the interest of off-piste/funk performance.

What say ye?
    Sounds like an Enforcer is what you want. You essentially want a softer ski. That naturally will come with a lower speed limit. I wouldn't go Rustler. It's a bit different feeling. Corvus will be too dead. Not sure about the new Katana, but might not do the smaller bent arcs either.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    and it’s a ton of fun to get the fan boi’s all riled up.
    so just here to spread stoke eh?

Still, a helpful quote to drop into the mix going forward to ensure that mags just ignore those attempts at getting under people's skin - so for what it is worth, thanks for that.

(and no, I do not care if people dislike whatever ski, but I do appreciate when people are able to explain why, not just voice strong opinions like they are the arbitor of everything)

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    so just here to spread stoke eh?

Still, a helpful quote to drop into the mix going forward to ensure that mags just ignore those attempts at getting under people's skin - so for what it is worth, thanks for that.

(and no, I do not care if people dislike whatever ski, but I do appreciate when people are able to explain why, not just voice strong opinions like they are the arbitor of everything)
    My apologies for not going over again why I’m not an ON3P fan. I’ve tried a few pairs over the years, most recently woodsman 108s, and didn’t like the feel on the snow, sound they make, or the vibrations through my boots to my knees. If we aren’t allowed to poke some fun at people, what’s the point in life?

My apologies for not going over again why I’m not an ON3P fan. I’ve tried a few pairs over the years, most recently woodsman 108s, and didn’t like the feel on the snow, sound they make, or the vibrations through my boots to my knees. If we aren’t allowed to poke some fun at people, what’s the point in life?

I think my joke was lost in the 22/23 gear rumor thread, but the point can still be made; I see ON3P in a similar place as moment was around a decade ago. ON3P is popular for a lot of the freestyle crowd (think, Level1 type of skiers), but not on the feet of many of the athletes pushing the limits of freeriding. Similar to Moment, Black Crows, and even Line, ON3P may be in a place of transition where R&D is improving, but they're not making skis on a level Kastle is, and that's a fact I would like to see challenged. Turns out athletes do care, and the natural progression is to take the next available sponsor who arguably does it better. Line, Moment, and Black Crows have been on the lower end of that totem pole, but they definitely have something to show for themselves now - maybe not on the same level as Kastle, but certainly enough to start blurring lines.

Point is, many on TGR and in other realms of ski critique do notice the difference. And when it comes down to it, I'm selfish and would still rather be on a ski coming out of the blizzard/Fischer/Amer factory more than I would ON3P's, even if I'm not a good enough skier to fully appreciate it. To Moment's, Liberty's, and black Crows credit, they have vastly improved their quality since their early inception. I just don't see ON3P on that level yet. I think they'll get there, but for the time being, their athletes and people on their skis tend to embody the phrase that's held true onto other previous Indie manufacturers (Black Crows) of "I suck at skiing, but my gear doesn't."

Before the ON3P thread comes to crucify me; there are always exceptions to the rule, and even if people fanboy around brand X, it's okay... Do what works for you; I did it with Moment, and if anything, I'm happy that there are as many indie brands giving competition to the monopolies. Also, to the point of skibrd, take a joke well. I'm a Dynastar fanboi and I would expect nothing less than merciless ridicule.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

All I personally ask for is that the big names give their skis more tuning life. Give me a M102 with "indie-thick" base and edge and i'll be much more inclined to beat them up on the infestation of sharks around here. The FWT crew isn't using the GP stock anyways and they don't care if they blow up a ski on a podium finish, so the loss of top-end performance isn't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I think my joke was lost in the 22/23 gear rumor thread, but the point can still be made; I see ON3P in a similar place as moment was around a decade ago. ON3P is popular for a lot of the freestyle crowd (think, Level1 type of skiers), but not on the feet of many of the athletes pushing the limits of freeriding. Similar to Moment, Black Crows, and even Line, ON3P may be in a place of transition where R&D is improving, but they're not making skis on a level Kastle is, and that's a fact I would like to see challenged. Turns out athletes do care, and the natural progression is to take the next available sponsor who arguably does it better. Line, Moment, and Black Crows have been on the lower end of that totem pole, but they definitely have something to show for themselves now - maybe not on the same level as Kastle, but certainly enough to start blurring lines.

Point is, many on TGR and in other realms of ski critique do notice the difference. And when it comes down to it, I'm selfish and would still rather be on a ski coming out of the blizzard/Fischer/Amer factory more than I would ON3P's, even if I'm not a good enough skier to fully appreciate it. To Moment's, Liberty's, and black Crows credit, they have vastly improved their quality since their early inception. I just don't see ON3P on that level yet. I think they'll get there, but for the time being, their athletes and people on their skis tend to embody the phrase that's held true onto other previous Indie manufacturers (Black Crows) of "I suck at skiing, but my gear doesn't."

Before the ON3P thread comes to crucify me; there are always exceptions to the rule, and even if people fanboy around brand X, it's okay... Do what works for you; I did it with Moment, and if anything, I'm happy that there are as many indie brands giving competition to the monopolies. Also, to the point of skibrd, take a joke well. I'm a Dynastar fanboi and I would expect nothing less than merciless ridicule.

I’m on the tired side at work, not getting more then 5 hours a sleep at a shot messes with my brain. So if Im missing jokes, my bad.

Marcus, that is my point with a Praxis too. ON3P and Praxis have hit the nail on the head with some of there ski designs, but the chances I pick up a ski and something isn’t right is in it’s construction are way higher then a ski out of the Elan/Blizzard/Amer/Fischer factories. I love that Praxis, ON3P, Liberty, Icelandic, Moment, and Black Crows are chipping away at market share of the major brands, but as a skier I want to know when I pick up a ski, it consistently does what I ask of it.

Last year or the year before BBear and I were taking about me making a TGR/Ski Ted Talk about know thy self. People need to identify what type of skier they are and stick in that bubble when searching for gear. I am not a Level1 type of skier. I am not a ski-mo skin suit skier. When I’m looking for ski gear, I know not to buy gear they would look for. I ski very fast inbounds with a dynamic fall line style, and take that into the backcountry where appropriate. I can not ski how I want when I don’t know how my gear is going to preform on a day to day basis. Example is the Praxis Quixote I had where the camber was drastically different every day. I almost died because I grabbed them one day, didn’t look to see that the camber has returned (after a week of being full rocker), and I took a bad fall after catching a tip. Sorry but that’s not acceptable. It doesn’t happen (or hasn’t yet) with my Blizzards, Kastles, Rossi’s, and Solomon’s.

Do skis change as you ski them, yes. It’s why some skis feel dead after 50/75/100 days of skiing them, but it’s a gradual change. Blizzard Bonafide, the older 187, I could get 75ish days before the ski felt soft and lifeless. For most people buying Bones that’s 10 years of skiing! For me, that was 3/4 a season. I have friends who don’t make it half a season on ON3P, Praxis, older Moments, before they complain about the ski feeling off. Quality assurance at the bigger companies is why I keep going back to them. I know what I’m going to get day in and day out.

Moment is been getting way better, and it’s why some of their stuff is starting to enter my quiver. The Chipotle Banana is an awesome ski, I wish I hadn’t sold mine. I’m very curious about the Wildcat Tour 18. Why am I looking at Moment and not ON3P? Moment has grown to where they can afford to have a higher standard of QA. They are not a small niche company any more. ON3P is.

Can the ON3P fanbois call me a sell out of liking Kastle, Blizzard, etc, sure. I don’t care. Come ski with me in JH and you’ll see why (not this winter I’m at work). I know what I like and I stick to my lane because that works for me. Will I go outside it, yes. I actually need to try the MFree 108 and the tweaked R11.

Let’s get back to what Blizzard is up to. I’m curious about the Hustler series, especially the 9 and 11. My new job might let me ski more in the spring, and I’d like a narrow touring ski. If the H9 keeps a lot of the easy going of the R9, but loses some grams, it might be something I’d look into.

This.
    Is.
    The.
    Blizzard.
    Thread.

My 97mm bonefides and ZeroG 96s have enjoyed junuary but I’m ready to get back on something wider.

Longest three weeks of my life waiting on the hustler release wasatch

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post

I’m on the tired side at work, not getting more then 5 hours a sleep at a shot messes with my brain. So if Im missing jokes, my bad.

Marcus, that is my point with a Praxis too. ON3P and Praxis have hit the nail on the head with some of there ski designs, but the chances I pick up a ski and something isn’t right is in it’s construction are way higher then a ski out of the Elan/Blizzard/Amer/Fischer factories. I love that Praxis, ON3P, Liberty, Icelandic, Moment, and Black Crows are chipping away at market share of the major brands, but as a skier I want to know when I pick up a ski, it consistently does what I ask of it.

Last year or the year before BBear and I were taking about me making a TGR/Ski Ted Talk about know thy self. People need to identify what type of skier they are and stick in that bubble when searching for gear. I am not a Level1 type of skier. I am not a ski-mo skin suit skier. When I’m looking for ski gear, I know not to buy gear they would look for. I ski very fast inbounds with a dynamic fall line style, and take that into the backcountry where appropriate. I can not ski how I want when I don’t know how my gear is going to preform on a day to day basis. Example is the Praxis Quixote I had where the camber was drastically different every day. I almost died because I grabbed them one day, didn’t look to see that the camber has returned (after a week of being full rocker), and I took a bad fall after catching a tip. Sorry but that’s not acceptable. It doesn’t happen (or hasn’t yet) with my Blizzards, Kastles, Rossi’s, and Solomon’s.

Do skis change as you ski them, yes. It’s why some skis feel dead after 50/75/100 days of skiing them, but it’s a gradual change. Blizzard Bonafide, the older 187, I could get 75ish days before the ski felt soft and lifeless. For most people buying Bones that’s 10 years of skiing! For me, that was 3/4 a season. I have friends who don’t make it half a season on ON3P, Praxis, older Moments, before they complain about the ski feeling off. Quality assurance at the bigger companies is why I keep going back to them. I know what I’m going to get day in and day out.

Moment is been getting way better, and it’s why some of their stuff is starting to enter my quiver. The Chipotle Banana is an awesome ski, I wish I hadn’t sold mine. I’m very curious about the Wildcat Tour 18. Why am I looking at Moment and not ON3P? Moment has grown to where they can afford to have a higher standard of QA. They are not a small niche company any more. ON3P is.

Can the ON3P fanbois call me a sell out of liking Kastle, Blizzard, etc, sure. I don’t care. Come ski with me in JH and you’ll see why (not this winter I’m at work). I know what I like and I stick to my lane because that works for me. Will I go outside it, yes. I actually need to try the MFree 108 and the tweaked R11.

Let’s get back to what Blizzard is up to. I’m curious about the Hustler series, especially the 9 and 11. My new job might let me ski more in the spring, and I’d like a narrow touring ski. If the H9 keeps a lot of the easy going of the R9, but loses some grams, it might be something I’d look into.

Like what you like(no one cares), but holy shit, the dumb shit stated here......

What's Blizzard up to?

I’m curious if there are any substantial changes to the Rustlers in the pipeline. The introduction of Hustle line might indicate that Blizzard is going to beef up the Rustlers a bit. Otherwise wouldn’t be both lines to close to each other?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I have been skiing the R11 188 mounted at -1, and it's pretty nice. Super maneuverable. Kinda light. Skis short.
    I could honestly say that I'd like it better with a little less tail rocker, a little more tip rocker, and another -1cm mount to compensate. It would be more stable and more floaty. And still light and fast and fun.
    If I skied bigger terrain with more snow, I could totally see going with the 192. Coming from 190 Q Labs, the R11 is nice and relaxing. IMHO, it almost rewards bad form. Like, it likes when you weight the tail rocker a little in fresh snow (maybe dropping the butt?). It also seems like the Q lab, while not as loose, plains (planes?) more because of the longer front and higher, more tapered tip. The Q Lab, having an almost completely flat tail (there is an afterthought of rocker, but no kick) is waaay more stable. The R11 needs to be turning. It doesn't like tucking the flat spots.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my R11's. They are a fantastic tree ski. They could just be a better all around ski with some subtle changes.
    About me: 6' 200lbs. I have skied black diamonds before. I try to lean forward. You: must love dogs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like my R11's. They are a fantastic tree ski. They could just be a better all around ski with some subtle changes.
    About me: 6' 200lbs. I have skied black diamonds before. I try to lean forward. You: must love dogs.
    I think you're on the wrong length if you're after stability. You've got 2 inches and 30 pounds on me. I continue to be impressed by how stable the 188's are, and have zero desire for increased maneuverability. I've thought about getting 192's when deals have popped up, but I've always had a chargier ski in the quiver. I agree that the 11's aren't the floatiest 115ish waisted ski. For me they're a daily driver that works everywhere. On powder days I prefer a Billy Goat or Protest. For skiing fast in open terrain I'd take a Cochise or Corvus. But if I'm going to ski unknown snow or in a variety of terrain and conditions they just... work. They're not the dampest but they don't deflect much. At my size, anyway, they'll haul ass if you don't mind a bumpy ride (unlike the Enforcer 104's, which I didn't like much).

Frankly, I don't need this ski to change at all. Unlike some others here, I didn't like the Gunsmokes much. The tail profile (less rise) on the 11's is a big improvement. I'm sure I'd enjoy a full metal 11, but I bet I'd prefer it the way it is. Add 200g to the ski and it wouldn't be such a joy in bumps and tight spaces. I like all the mass and metal with a skinner waist.