Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    "Strong like bull"

Add this destruction test too: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/340887/

Which is stronger, carbon or aluminum? We smash two rims on the floor to find out.
    The first (the carbon rim) rim was ridden very heavily for a year by a pro downhiller. It was his rear wheel and was just starting to show cracks but was still true and round. The second rim (the aluminum alloy rim) was ridden for a couple months by a 120 lb lady. It was her rear wheel and she had put a big dent in it.
    The carbon rim took a serious beating before new cracks started to show. And even after all we did to it, it was still true and round.
    The aluminum alloy rim was clearly deformed after the first two hits and just kept getting worse until we were able to break it by hand!

I have a few months on a set of the NOBL (Light Bicycle) 35mm 27.5 rims. Standard Layup Front (395g) and HD Layup rear (435g). Laced to DT 350s with DT Comps. I've hammered them through all the Bellingham / Sea to Sky environs. Month long Western/Desert Trip. Very impressed. After the initial shake out and re-tension, they are flawless. Definitely had to tweak the suspension a bit but the width and drop in rotating mass is quite noticeable.

I am 220 lbs and have been riding the Light bike 29 inch carbon wheels for two seasons, no problems. When riding on my stans 29er I could feel lateral flex, with the carbon rims that is greatly reduced. Made my bike feel totally alive and was the most noticeable on off camber corners. I could see how lighter riders would not see huge differences but for me they rock and given their current cost I do not see any reason why not to be using them. I think bigger riders on 29ers would see the most benefit.

220lbs on 9er should be a good indication. wonder how smashing them thru rocks and roots on a 160 bike would work. what bike are you on "ShoNuff" ?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    220lbs on 9er should be a good indication. wonder how smashing them thru rocks and roots on a 160 bike would work. what bike are you on "ShoNuff" ?
    I'm 160 kitted up on a Kona Process 134 with a 150 Pike on it. I regularly find myself in big-bike terrain on my local loops. As I said earlier, we just came back from a month long trip. Oakridge, Downieville, Tahoe, Sedona, Gooseberry, Moab, Park City, Sun Valley. 400 miles and 50K vert with no issues. I definitely aired into countless rocky minefields and all is well. The rims do have many superficial scratches and rock chips. FYI Butcher and Purgatory mounted tubeless in Grid Casing, 28 and 25 PSI. No burps, but the sidewalls are looking a little tired.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    I'm 160 kitted up on a Kona Process 134 with a 150 Pike on it. I regularly find myself in big-bike terrain on my local loops. As I said earlier, we just came back from a month long trip. Oakridge, Downieville, Tahoe, Sedona, Gooseberry, Moab, Park City, Sun Valley. 400 miles and 50K vert with no issues. I definitely aired into countless rocky minefields and all is well. The rims do have many superficial scratches and rock chips. FYI Butcher and Purgatory mounted tubeless in Grid Casing, 28 and 25 PSI. No burps, but the sidewalls are looking a little tired.
    good. bound to be the odd rock crawl out of nowhere to smash into in moab or Sedona I'd imagine. I was thinking of trying butcher/slaughter combo as well. went on lb site after that post. great price for wheelsets with hope hubs. didn't see standard or hd layup option.

I just got some (LB, Hope). The carbon options are buried somewhere on the website. Took a bit longer to arrive than they said originally. Not sure I will ride them till the spring now that its suddenly -15 here. Excited to try them though, crazy light, hopefully they last.

Tires are fking tight on the rims, had to have the one bead right in the middle to get the 2nd bead on. I'm guessing breaking the bead off to fix anything on the trail is going to be a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I just got some (LB, Hope). The carbon options are buried somewhere on the website. Took a bit longer to arrive than they said originally. Not sure I will ride them till the spring now that its suddenly -15 here. Excited to try them though, crazy light, hopefully they last.

Tires are fking tight on the rims, had to have the one bead right in the middle to get the 2nd bead on. I'm guessing breaking the bead off to fix anything on the trail is going to be a bitch.
    that's one thing I didn't like with the stans. super tight going on and w the short sidewall I facked the tape w levers taking them off. I can usually roll most tires on rims. mavic 823/819/cross/deemax have been perfection. just the right amount of work to put them on and a big pop when they seat gives confidence. def going to try those lb's though. deeper sidewall and I think i'll use tubular glue with the gorilla tape for tubeless. I guess I should order early if I want them for spring then

I saved 2.2 lbs. when I replaced the rims on my Fatboy with carbon rims, but I'm a recovering weight weenie. It's still way heavier than my Scalpel with Enve's but not nearly as much fun regardless of wheel weight.

On my XC hardtail, when my original set of alu rims were ready to be put to pasture, i replaced them with a set of Nox Composities XCR-29's. Generally, I like them, they are a lot stiffer for sure, which I am noticing when cornering, but I am also noticing a bit of a harsher ride....wondering if that is the tradeoff.

Has anyone seen this video of Stan's carbon Valor rims? In their marketing materials for the Valor's, I've read that they designed in some kind of compliance to help with the potential for a harsher ride on a stiffer rim. They actually compare their Valor to one of the ENVE's in this vid...any comments thoughts?
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

You still trust stans products after what you did to that hub?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

"rotational mass"
    "lateral flex"
    "carbon versus alu"

You dirbags are starting to sound like a bunch of lycra-clad hipster roadies. NTTAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    You still trust stans products after what you did to that hub?
    I don't even remember doing anything to a Stan's hub. Maybe I did. It all just blurs together.

Oh wait, the one where one of the rotor bolt holes snapped off?

Yeah I thought you said that was a stans hub.

Either way, just going with the history of that company it seems like they eventually get things mostly right. But they've had a lot beginner's mistakes on first run stuff in the name of weight it seems like.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I do like the idea of carbon fatty rims where it would seem to cut down on the rotating mass and the benefits that go with that.

I have yet to seriously damage a Surly fat wheel so extra strength may be moot for me. Maybe my 650b wheels would be stronger for the carbon. Still rolling a set of P35s for 3 seasons now although I did not get a lot of rides in this year due to work. I luv those things.
    watch out for snakes

You ever hit rims with those fatty tires?

Yeah I thought you said that was a stans hub.
    Now that I think about it...yep, it was indeed a Stan's hub. I actually continued to use that hub for another year or so but with just 5 rotor bolts since there wasn't enough thread left on the hole that snapped open to get a 6th bolt to stay in it.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

You ever hit rims with those fatty tires?
    If I do not run enough pressure I have but only a few times. It depends on the trail, if its flatish and soft I can go lower ( been as low as 5/6) but on rocks and roots I have to pump it up ( more like 10/11ish) which is where I mostly ride.

Most of my pressure mistakes were from not checking tire pressure before a ride where the bike had sat for a while.
    watch out for snakes

I'm completely sold on carbon rims. I've been on a pair of L-B 27.5x35mm rims laced to I9 hubs this past year. I often ride with another buddy who is also on them. He's last years 40+ National DH champ (for an indication on the type of beatings these rims are being subjected to). Here in northern NM we have rocks. Lots of rocks. Sharp, painful rocks. These rocks are usually on steep trails where speeds tend to exceed what would be considered prudent.
    His rims have held up all year and I finally broke one at an enduro race at Angelfire (racing trailbikes on a DH course). Even cracked, it survived two more stages and held air (tubeless) for three days afterward.
    L-B replaced it without question.

I recently received an email from another Chinese company offering a carbon rim with a kevlar wrap. These sound interesting. I may try a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Kevlar tends to be kind of heavy. How much do they weigh?

Not sure. No data on their info page.
    I just emailed them the question.

I'm more concerned with strength. My thoughts are that kevlar might add some compliance to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Now that I think about it...yep, it was indeed a Stan's hub. I actually continued to use that hub for another year or so but with just 5 rotor bolts since there wasn't enough thread left on the hole that snapped open to get a 6th bolt to stay in it.
    Shit I only run three, lighter weight.

those nylon ones from the hardware store will save beaucoups grams, but if you have true metaphysical mojo you just let your will keep the rotor adhered and in place

Weight for 27.5x35mm is 435gms, about 25gms heavier than non-kevlar.