Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The 2015 Praxis skis, info and reviews thread.

With the new lineup released today, I figured a new thread would be appropriate. Me personally, I am looking to get on a new pair of Protests for next winter. New graphics and custom options are looking sick!

How about that ultra lite core then?

Thinking about GPO, but can't decide between CR or Rocker-Camber-Rocker. Ski would be east coast soft snow days, and travel ski for out West. Any have some experience on both?

No experience on both, but I am a huge fan of the moustached version. If its a deep day ride, the CR may have better float...but for versatility and predictability, I can't see doing better than the moustache.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Also, PM me for a 15% discount
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I had the original RCR version. For east coast days I would definitely want some camber on these. Don't see full rocker being amazing for every day unless you're somewhere out west all winter that gets a lot of snow during the season.

I have the rocker camber version and the camber is very mild. Almost a bit less than I thought was ideal. I would go with that rather than CCR for a travel / ec pow ski

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I don't need any more skis, but it's very cool to see how far Praxis has come. The first year that Keith expanded from making powder boards to like 5 models and just doing custom topsheets was a total junk show. That was the winter of 08-09 and I was very grateful to get my order in mid-December. Now he's got seventeen (!) skis, three different layups in four flexes and a massive library of topsheets. And he makes skis for two other companies. Impressive.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

very interested in the UL core for a touring ski.
    It will be interesting to see the final weights.

The weight estimator on the website does not seem to reflect choices one makes in the custom layup.

took my carbon 177 protests with dynafits on a 3 day hut trip.
    128 underfoot with minimial sidecut amazing for softish snow, but for covering ground to access descents farther afoot, I want to be at 8 lbs or less for the skis...

my 177 carbon protests are 8.8 lbs for the pair.

Looks like wootest might make 8.0 lbs with UL core.
    wootest 2.0 with standard carbon hybrid layup is is 8.8 lbs.

I wish there was a 177-182 protest in the 118 mm underfoot range for more float than the wootest - need to get 10 people or so to buy into that one.

(kudos to kidwoo, you did great to get the wootest made).

props to Keith for making this move to new core materials!
    Aggressive in my own mind

Does anyone know if Keith is doing a loyalty code this year?

I bought a pair of Concepts last spring and I signed up for his points program, but I don't even have enough points for the $35 discount!

FYI the TGR code does get you 10% off. Get hold of SupreChicken or any Mag friend of your choosing that has purchased from Keith this year and they can send you a 15% code.

Hoarhey, I use my 177 Concepts for my touring ski in the deep stuff. 116 underfoot and 8.5 lbs with the standard layup. I sent a few emails to Keith before I made my choice and I love them. Now I'm drooling over a pair of new Yetis for the spring and on hill days with the wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    ...it's very cool to see how far Praxis has come. The first year that Keith expanded from making powder boards to like 5 models and just doing custom topsheets was a total junk show. That was the winter of 08-09... Now he's got seventeen (!) skis, three different layups in four flexes and a massive library of topsheets. And he makes skis for two other companies. Impressive.
    This. And consistently high quality.

praxis RX, thank you keith.
    b

Kind of interested in the Yeti, I need (well want is more accurate) a new touring ski.
    Last edited by Charmander; 03-25-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    This. And consistently high quality.
    And reliable on-time speedy delivery.

A long way from those first years indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    Kind of interested in the Yeti, I need (well want is more accurate) a new touring ski.

I know Praxis does pro orders, anybody know the average discount that gets ya?
    Not cool to ask about pro-prices in public places. If you qualify, ask Keith directly. If you don't, buy the skis at 'retail' because they're at a killer price either way.

Not to clutter this thread, but I bought a pair of 187 GPO Ultralight core protos w glass only a few months ago, so I also have a 15% code to give.

How does the ultra light core ski? Is it really aimed at touring, or for any type skiing.

I can't see any reason to get the UL core for anything except touring, unless you just like a really low swing weight and don't want to ski fast in chop.

(No experience on Praxis's UL core, plenty of time on other Praxis and other skis using paulownia though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander
    I know Praxis does pro orders, anybody know the average discount that gets ya?
    Oh it's like 15 bucks a pair, but you have to send him a video of you skiing naked, switch to the road while holding a shaved koala bear coated in crisco. And it has to be on skis that haven't been designed yet so he can at least get some ideas for new shapes. You don't get something for nuthin ya know.

So just a heads up, it's not as easy as it sounds.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I would appreciate a discount code from someone. I'm thinking about getting an extra stiff (extra fiberglass) mvp, backcountry or gpo, something to use as a charger, with guardian bindings. My og protests are still going strong!

I wonder if the wootest with a square tail and some camber would make a good ride? Basically a tst with some balls

Shoot me your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by geezerb View Post
    I wonder if the wootest with a square tail and some camber would make a good ride? Basically a tst with some balls
    Nevermind. Offer rescinded. And Imma cut off your typing hands for that kind of language.

By square tail, you mean flat and square right? It might be okay but I'd probably want to knock down the tip rocker a little bit in that case too.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    And he makes skis for two other companies. Impressive.
    I'm curious - what are the two other companies?