VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude

Forest Service Snow Ranger Jobs Tahoe and Jackson Areas

Saw these on USA jobs today, pretty sweet gig, short notice on them though. Incline Village one closes today, Jackson ones the 6th.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/353966200

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/354156200

USAJOBS and DOA positions

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Saw these on USA jobs today, pretty sweet gig, short notice on them though. Incline Village one closes today, Jackson ones the 6th.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/353966200

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/354156200
    any suggestions on grabbing the attention of people hiring for positions like these? I've filled out forestry tech applications in the past with no success.
    Above the fingers of death sits a delicate winter garden

Be a military vet, preferably disabled. Also points for being a woman or diverse.

Not actually kidding, military veteran is best bet of all those, based on the government hiring rules typically.

Quote Originally Posted by simplypow View Post
    any suggestions on grabbing the attention of people hiring for positions like these? I've filled out forestry tech applications in the past with no success.
    Phone calls to the hiring official.

Quote Originally Posted by flyman683 View Post
    Be a military vet, preferably disabled. Also points for being a woman or diverse.

Not actually kidding, military veteran is best bet of all those, based on the government hiring rules typically.
    This^^^^
    Was at the VA hosp last week, and overheard the tech saying, "Right now the only people this hospital is hiring are vets." Over the summer I heard a ranger complaining that, "He was tired of being beat out of jobs by veterans. Why do they get 5 extra points?" I know several guys that are FS and NPS that aren't vets, so maybe making direct contact would work also. Good luck. Working in a job you really enjoy makes all the difference.
    Last edited by HansJob; 01-28-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

At least at my agency/location, we don't even have any input until after hr gives us the "certified list"... And the list is based on the evaluation of resume/application but also the military/other bonus point categories. Within a certain "band" vets always go at the top.

In other words, even knowing that the guy in charge wants to hire you specifically often doesn't help because you get" blocked" by veterans preference people moving up the list.

No offense to our nation's vets, but many times I've seen it lead to less than ideal candidates getting hired. Plus, half the time, being in AK and often a remote-ish location, they want to leave relatively soon again anyway.

Figured I should add a positive note: the pathways program is the new internship route to a permanent position. Nothing guaranteed, but look into that on OPM.

Due to reforms, they can't just name select you, but since it's an internship thing it usually has less of the veteran preference issues.

If you can find a pathways position (or can contact the agency/office you're looking at to create one) that could make all the difference.

Many of the tech positions and outdoor stuff are NOT payhways/internship setup since they're basically summer gigs, but maybe by expressing interest they'd make one of the slots a pathways shot.

Lots of agencies/managers really do try to get local-ish college kids in these things when possible.