Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colorado Camper Camry

She's almost ready for the upcoming ski season. We ripped the back seats out, and I built a sleeping platform for the car. We also got that refletix stuff from Lowe's and cut it to fit each window for insulation. Still going to get some carpet and staple it down to the board. Also gotta get the Mr Heater, to keep us warm

We need moar info and pics! I like how you are thinking. The dirtbag is strong in this one.

How are you venting it? (Moisture buildup/icing, and CO from the heater.)

Window visor things might be a good idea -- would keep snow/rain from falling in the windows, but you could leave them cracked open for ventilation. Example:
    http://www.autoanything.com/deflecto...0A17A84A1.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Great first post. Perhaps think about a CO alarm.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

You gotta have an alarm if you camp in your car in CO?

Id recommend just a warm down bag and run the car heater to dry potentially wet clothes. Mr. Heater is a potentially dangerous addition if you forget to roll the windows down one night. Other than that, looks awesome makes me miss my old nissan, spent many a snowy night in that thing...

Two simple candle powered hurricane lamps will raise the interior temperature quite a bit.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks guys, I dont plan on using Mr Heater while I am sleeping just while I'm watching a movie and smoking a bowl. I do plan on cracking the window to keep condensation down. I already plan on buying a battery powered O2 sensor just to cover my ass. I got a 0 degree bag and a comforter to throw in. Will see how that does... I've also heard another good idea of installing a remote start. That way if you wake up in the middle of the night freezing you can remote start the car to get the heat going. Part of the security features of the remote start is to auto shut off after 15 min if the car doesn't move. Sounds perfect....

I didn't realize how expensive high density foam is! Anyone know of a good site to get that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanOBrian View Post
    I've also heard another good idea of installing a remote start. That way if you wake up in the middle of the night freezing you can remote start the car to get the heat going. Part of the security features of the remote start is to auto shut off after 15 min if the car doesn't move. Sounds perfect....
    Solid effort on the mods. Take a small collapsible shovel, and make sure the tailpipe is clear before running the engine. It's a simple but deadly mistake if you don't.

CO alarm is a good idea, keep it at a height above your head. Find a Mr. Heater that has the low oxygen shutoff.

Make sure to post pics of the overnight dirtbagging stoke.
    Best Regards,

UMKP

"Peter, You've been missing a lot of work lately".
    "I wouldn't exactly say I've been missing it, Bob".

The remote start was a bonus for me on cold mornings. Really helps you get up and at it. Also good for warming your boot shells if you keep your liners with you.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanOBrian View Post
    Thanks guys, I dont plan on using Mr Heater while I am sleeping just while I'm watching a movie and smoking a bowl. I do plan on cracking the window to keep condensation down. I already plan on buying a battery powered O2 sensor just to cover my ass. I got a 0 degree bag and a comforter to throw in. Will see how that does... I've also heard another good idea of installing a remote start. That way if you wake up in the middle of the night freezing you can remote start the car to get the heat going. Part of the security features of the remote start is to auto shut off after 15 min if the car doesn't move. Sounds perfect....

I didn't realize how expensive high density foam is! Anyone know of a good site to get that stuff?
    Do you have a habitat for humanity near you?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yes on the Mr heater concerns. O2 is your friend CO the enemy. We need more pics of this project, it sounds great good luck and play safe.
    carpe diem vita brevis

0 deg bag will not be warm enough imo. I used like 3 down bags, take more. Transition from trunk to interior needs to be completely smooth, or shitty sleep. The trunk area will be cold as shit on feet. Consider insulation in trunk. I am former 97 legacy sedan sleeper and it was rough. I used a ski pole to press clutch to start and then gas after. Car was stick and would not start out of gear. Window cracking not enough imo. Pee bottle essential. But your place is looking like a glorious mansion compared to my rig. Nice work! Ahh the memories, but I'm glad not to be doing it anymore.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

A couple of years ago we met a couple from colo who were were sleeping their way north in a camry wagon or maybe it was a corolla wagon but we 1st met them in rogers pass on the way up to AK and then at hankin on the way down

buddy told us he had a big dodge cummins avec camper BUT was driving the toy to save $ ...its a long fucking way to AK

wow that rimes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hanging cotton sheets on the interior helps absorb some of the moisture/frost, gives you some privacy, and helps hold in some heat.

Good luck

Turning your Toyota Camry into a dirtbag ski mobile is worth at least 500 gnar points. The force is strong in you. Godspeed.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

The more I reflect on my time in teh car in the parking lots I think you need something more along the lines of one of these to sleep in to get the moisture out of the vehicle. Flexible tubing of course. You don't have to have the smoking apparatus, or you can. Also, ear protection is mandatory as ski areas start plowing the parking lots really early on pow days. Trail head parking, not an issue. also, down booties are your friends.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I'm reading this as I'm waking up in my Jetta. Same setup- no back seat and a bit of plywood to make a flat surface. The rear deck is a great spot for books, headlamps etc. I'm just over six feet tall and can stretch out fully and there is room for the wife too. It's super comfy and warm enough.
    Make sure your car's battery is up to snuff and forget about the propane. Run the engine when you want a bit of heat. We have a Thule box on the roof rack for ski and we put as much other stuff as we can up there maximize room inside. Ours has tinted rear windows which is really nice.
    This setup opens up lots of dirtbaggery. You can park pretty much anywhere overnight without looking like you are camping.
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

I used to sleep in the Vail parking garage a lot back when I was a kid. 0º bag, ran the engine for heat, had a converter and ran a "Hot Pot" to cook Ramen noodles and hot chocolate (I was 18). Wish I had had a boot dryer/warmer. A nine hour candle lantern is also a cheap heat source and cuts down on condensation. Great couple seasons getting over 100 days at Vail while living in Denver going to school full time. I also lived in a camper in NZ for 3 months once and the same tricks worked.

The Mr Heater is awesome. They all have low O2 and tip over sensors AFAIK. It's a catalytic heater so CO is less of a concern but you are in a pretty small place. I've used mine all night in a small camper many times with no problems. You will only get about 6 hours of heat from a small canister so I'd limit use to when you really need it and carry extras. I like to just switch it on in the morning to make getting outta bed easier. Have your gear in a bag, ready to haul into the lodge to change. Mornings are the tough part.

I've never used one but I wonder if the 12v heater blankets would be viable. Run a couple of extra deep cycle batteries and set them up to charge off of the alternator when driving and a solar panel when parked.

Sick setup. I'm either getting a mazda MVP or dodge intrepid for mad cheap here pretty soon, I'm leaning towards the latter for mpg reasons, and I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing.

Just remember, Mr. Heater hates elevation. I never could get mine to work over 9000'. 7000' to 8000' it works ok. Below 7000' it is awesome.
    WooHoo, she said as she threw her wooden leg up over the dash!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post

The Mr Heater is awesome. They all have low O2 and tip over sensors AFAIK. It's a catalytic heater so CO is less of a concern but you are in a pretty small place. I've used mine all night in a small camper many times with no problems. You will only get about 6 hours of heat from a small canister so I'd limit use to when you really need it and carry extras. I like to just switch it on in the morning to make getting outta bed easier. Have your gear in a bag, ready to haul into the lodge to change. Mornings are the tough part.
    A buddy heater is NOT a catalytic heater. It is a traditional radiant burner and puts off more bad gas than a real catalytic heater. I don't know how it works but it doesn't burn a traditional flame. For a real catalytic heater check out the Olympian wave heaters. A cheaper alternative are the Coleman cat series catalytics. Not only do they need less venting but they aren't affected by altitude as bad as the buddy heaters. I have run mine as high as 10,000 feet with no problems.

I run my colman in our truck camper all night (with a co and propane detector) and it keeps the camper a comfortable 30-35 degrees warmer than outside temps.
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

For the heater, make a temporary platform in the front seat area to keep it stable and out of the way.

Reflectix in the windows... velcro helps hold it in place. With it directly against the glass prevents icing.

Boot dryer with cig lighter inverter.

Rigid insulation under the plywood.

I've been a minivan dirtbag camper for many seasons.

Threads like this one make me wish I had moved to Colorado when I was younger. So many possibilities...

On a more helpful note, go get creative with a roll of Reflectix and hit the home depot for a sheet or two of rigid foam insulation. Your rig is looking sweet already and I think you'd see a lot of benefit from adding a sheet of insulation on top of the existing plywood floor and trunk space then sandwiching another piece of plywood on top of that to give you a flat, durable, low bulk, insulated floor.

Moar pics!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.