Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UPDATE: clutch derailleur on 9spd shifters

not sure if posted, and could't find the original thread, but it looks like there is a nice little part that officially lets you run a SRAM 9spd shifter on a shimano 10spd clutch rear derailleur.

pretty awesome. i figured someone cared...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...apters-260348/
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

shit ya. just switched the lil bike to slx clutch. it'd be nice to keep 9spd on the dh bike and run similar derailleurs. maybe get a zee to replace the aging xo.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    not sure if posted, and could't find the original thread, but it looks like there is a nice little part that officially lets you run a SRAM 9spd shifter on a shimano 10spd clutch rear derailleur.

pretty awesome. i figured someone cared...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...apters-260348/
    Rob is a good guy, buy his little adaptor. Just don't hold it against him that he looks like a young David Hasselhoff.

It would be cool if you could get one of these doohickeys to run Shimano 10> SRAM 10, and vise versa, just to open up options...

Thanks for posting, been wanting to run a Shadow/Clutch for awhile now, got a good deal on one and have been waiting on delivery of a new frame to actually try it out with my sram 9-speed. $20 bucks is worth it for the time I'd take to source a part and mod it, plus get a bigger bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It would be cool if you could get one of these doohickeys to run Shimano 10> SRAM 10, and vise versa, just to open up options...
    That would be nice since I hate Sram paddle shifters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Marshal thanks for posting, just ordered one.

Looking forward to giving this thing a try w/ a new XT Clutch derailleur on my RaceFace Wide/Narrow 1x9 (normally run SS, so didn't want to drop lots of money for full 1x10). Been running a regular 9 speed derailleur and the RF W/Narrow ring w/o problems, but for $20 should be even better (and definitely quieter).

Will update after I have some time (and a few races) on this.

that, plus the 38T ebay cassette ring, and you have a winning 9 speed combo.

anyone try a 9spd sram shifter with a clutch yet without one of these adapter pieces? just saw a report of someone using a clutch r der with a sram 9 spd shifter and it seems to work. they didn't mention anything about an adapter so i'm assuming they don't have one

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    that, plus the 38T ebay cassette ring, and you have a winning 9 speed combo.
    Beware, the eBay 38's are developing a bit of a flexy reputation. Mine folded up like a Pringle in the first few rides (but actually was still usable) dude sent me a new one, but not without some grumbling.

That's too bad rideit.
    The other thing looks cool.

PS, rideit, are you responsible for the 951 Evo 27.5 madness?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    anyone try a 9spd sram shifter with a clutch yet without one of these adapter pieces? just saw a report of someone using a clutch r der with a sram 9 spd shifter and it seems to work. they didn't mention anything about an adapter so i'm assuming they don't have one
    I'm running a SLX shadow plus with a 9spd sram x9 shifter. It's not the slickest shifting in the world, but it works. I'll probably finish the season on it and then upgrade my cassette and shifter to Shimano 10 speed as well. I've been holding out because my bike came with a Sram 990 cassette and my wallet doesn't like the price of comparable 10 speed stuff. Although I have no idea if I'd even notice the difference.

Back on topic though... I've never had SRAM shifters so I don't know if it's the mixed 9/10 shimano/sram setup that makes the shifting a little sluggish, or if its just how SRAM stuff is. All I know is my wife's bike with a Deore 9spd shifter and a vintage 1998 Deore XT rear derailler is lighting fast and it makes me question if I value the quiet shadow plus drivetrain more than having fast shifts. I won't be getting this little adapter piece though because even at "only" $20, it's $20 that isn't going towards a 10 speed upgrade.

Check here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=866457

And for a durable 11-40 wide range 1x9 setup:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...9#post10547269

I've talked to the few guys that have done it - everyone says it works and is durable. Shifting to the last chainring-cog monster works well, but is just slightly slower - not a big deal since you're likely grinding a big hill anyway. Planning on putting it together over the next week or two.

Shimano works better than SRAM with the big chainring-cog monster, so the setup is just asking to be paired with a 10-spd clutch derailleur.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I'm running a SLX shadow plus with a 9spd sram x9 shifter. It's not the slickest shifting in the world, but it works. I'll probably finish the season on it and then upgrade my cassette and shifter to Shimano 10 speed as well. I've been holding out because my bike came with a Sram 990 cassette and my wallet doesn't like the price of comparable 10 speed stuff. Although I have no idea if I'd even notice the difference.

Back on topic though... I've never had SRAM shifters so I don't know if it's the mixed 9/10 shimano/sram setup that makes the shifting a little sluggish, or if its just how SRAM stuff is. All I know is my wife's bike with a Deore 9spd shifter and a vintage 1998 Deore XT rear derailler is lighting fast and it makes me question if I value the quiet shadow plus drivetrain more than having fast shifts. I won't be getting this little adapter piece though because even at "only" $20, it's $20 that isn't going towards a 10 speed upgrade.
    The adapter piece is a simple shim. Get a 1/4" thick square washer from Home Depot for pennies and call it a day. Perfect shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post

thanks, ya I went 10 spd for the little bike but I thought if this works i'd stay with the 9 on the dh bike (stronger chain and less cogs I don't need). guess i'll try it first then get that piece later if need be

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Check here:

I've talked to the few guys that have done it - everyone says it works and is durable. Shifting to the last chainring-cog monster works well, but is just slightly slower - not a big deal since you're likely grinding a big hill anyway. Planning on putting it together over the next week or two.

Shimano works better than SRAM with the big chainring-cog monster, so the setup is just asking to be paired with a 10-spd clutch derailleur.
    well shit. never thought of a bmx ring. good one. looks pretty clean with the ring all cut out. may have to start look thru the buy n sell for a bmx ring. I've been holding off on getting the general lee 40t . just picking up my 30t race face ring today

So I ordered one of these spacers, the guy is in BC took and it took less than a week for it to arrive in California.

My new frame arrived on Monday and built it out with a 10 speed XT Clutch and XO 9 speed shifters. It worked well without the spacer except for the 2nd to the easiest cog, would just kinda skip around. With the spacer all shifting is perfect now

The part is very well made, I highly recommend it!

The adapter piece is a simple shim. Get a 1/4" thick square washer from Home Depot for pennies and call it a day. Perfect shifting.
    That's what I suspected and I finally remembered to hit the hardware store down the street. 15 cents for a square washer and a few minutes with a hacksaw and file to make a groove and everything is shifting much better. Threw in a new cable for good measure too. The other one, in its short life on the bike, had been subjected to some seriously muddy days and pouring rain on the highway and was hurting badly.

Check here:

i'm not having any luck finding a 40t ring that isn't all cut out. most bmx rings seem to be in the 25ish t range now. found a couple fortys but too many cutaways(profile, etc) . just looked in a couple of the main distributor catologues (Norco. lambert) and crc and pb buynsell . no go. shouldn't be a problem finding a worn 34t to bolt it to. seeing the reduced price xo1 , at $400, gave me new found incentive. sram=fkn pirates. might just get the general lee shimano adapter

The mtbr post has two links to 3 and 6 bolt 40T chainrings, cost is 40$ to 65$. Since SRAM cogs have 6 struts, the 3 and 6 bolt chainring struts should work fine for bolting.

k thanks. i'll look again. think i'll round up the worn cog first to have for a reference

Did this today for my wife's bike- zee and x9 shifter. Shim and new bolt were 75 cents total. Works amazingly well, better than my x.0 stuff.....

Quote Originally Posted by alpineadventure View Post
    Did this today for my wife's bike- zee and x9 shifter. Shim and new bolt were 75 cents total. Works amazingly well, better than my x.0 stuff.....
    Mind posting pics?

I'm getting ready to build up a new frame. I have an old 9 speed X9 drivetrain and an XT shadow + derailleur to throw on it. Really interested in making it happen. Would consider just ordering one off of the link above, but I don't have an account there and I'm too lazy to start one just to order this thing.

I got one of Big-Ted's spacers and a 2013 XT Shadow Plus rear der for my anti-hipster 26" aluminum framed FS bike that runs 2 rings up front (24/36).

The XT rear der replaced a 2010 SRAM X9 9spd rear der. With the X9 rear der I had chain slap, after only 2 rides I began using a Blackspire Stinger for chain control. I thought it was good, chain ran quiet, didn't feel too much drag from the tensioning wheel.

Last night was first ride with Big-Ted's spacer and XT rear der. Removed Blackspire Stinger to check clutch's performance, hoping I'd never have to use it again.

Clutch is serious biz. Chain takeup is always right there, like riding singlespeed. And quiet, quiet, quiet through terrain that used to cause chain slap w/o the Stinger.

Shifting is smooth, indexing is perfect, everything is primo. I could feel the freed-up drivetrain resulting from removing the Stinger, almost felt like I got an extra cog out back -- the 30t felt like the 34t did with the Stinger. Thanks for the extra gear!

Nice work Big-Ted!

Couldn't agree more on the quietness of the Shimano Clutch setup. I put an SLX Shadow Plus on my ReignX a few weeks ago. Used to be very rattly and noisy, even with a bashguard and Stinger (setup 2x10). Now....utterly silent. I love it! I may have to try taking the Stinger off too.

Glad to hear the spacer is working out so well. Awesome idea.
    Keep it unclipped