Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    This is horseshit spewed by people who have no idea what they're talking about, sorry.
    Holy Phuck. Another interwebs expert.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Holy Phuck. Another interwebs expert.
    careful, in this case he's actually qualified...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Yea, I actually suspected that after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Anyone know if on final like that its automated? Weather was obviously good, altitude was sea level, so i cant see how that got messed up.

Dude came in way short from the sound of it.
    That runways guidance systems were down for maint, apparently. So, being a nice sunny day its all visual.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    careful, in this case he's actually qualified...
    Only Hot Butt Mud gets to issue rulings on that, sorry, jfost wannabe expert on experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Yes we know it can land itself, but considering the weather etc..I'd like to know what the probability of them coming in on manual was.
    Unless Asiana has equipment/authorizations that I'm not aware of it would not have been possible for them to perform an autoland at SFO today. Autolands require AP coupled approaches to an ILS and SFO has had both ILS glide paths on 28L/R out of service for the last month or so until the end of the summer for some maintenance work they're performing.

TL;DR: they could not have performed an autoland today. Almost certainly had to have been handflown.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    I take back what I said about lawyers in a previous thread...

How could there be pilot error, doesn't this thing land itself or at least run the approach automated? Seems like there would be alarms going off like crazy if you were off the perfect glide slope in a 777.

Also, in a relatively new aircraft that has only had one other event, why not look for a related issue?

edit:

is that the same strut for both engine types or does each one have its own mounting hardware?
    Different engine types are generally not interchangable whatsoever.
    Any alerts or alarms based on glideslopes would not be available as the ils was off, apparently. Leaving just sink rate warnings as 'too low' ones are canned with gear/flap out...

Quote Originally Posted by b dubya View Post
    Different engine types are generally not interchangable whatsoever.
    Any alerts or alarms based on glideslopes would not be available as the ils was off, apparently. Leaving just sink rate warnings as 'too low' ones are canned with gear/flap out...
    Yup, the localizers are still on but no GS. The PAPIs are working fine though.
    I thought their offices would be strewn with bunny-fucking and condom dispensers, a veritable enchanted forest of cock shafts and twat mist. - JoeStrummer

Hugh Conway Guest

something surreal about the tone of the passengers

What, with their luggage, getting in the way of others trying to get off?

You can see them carrying luggage in that pic, whoa.

Hugh Conway Guest
    and that there's at least two people taking pictures with the camera phone, and the power walker, just another day in Asia......

Yes, they can land themselves if they're on an ILS. The ILS to 28L is out of service at SFO.
    Last edited by itsnowjoke; 07-06-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Picturesofasianstakingpicturesofplanecrashes.com

I want to see more "cool" asian tourist photos of disaster areas.....so nuts.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post

something surreal about the tone of the passengers
    I saw that pic from this guys social media page (apparently he took it, and apparently I'm a Luddite when it comes to new social media places) https://path.com/p/1lwrZb and I though the exact same thing. How casual can you be people?!?!

Burning 777, check, time for an iPhone pic, check.

The dialogue in this thread does make me wonder, since, as Hugh so aptly pointed out in other threads, we here at TGR are all so individually special and experts at everything, who here is the absolute #1, no-bullshit expert?

I vote TedSki.
    I still call it The Jake.

the carrying of the luggage is hilariously frightening/sobering...

missed out on a chance for a free wardrobe courtesy of Asiana Airlines...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

The NTSB broad is a MILF.

I'm surprised more people did not die if others were waiting on them to retrieve their overhead luggage.

spook Guest
    probably some looting going on.

looks like they need rain in SF.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I vote TedSki.
    Church.

I guess it is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    The NTSB broad is a MILF.
    Yeah she is, moreso in person with a great figure and even better personality. Actually tried to help me break down my equipment after we did an interview in her office.

The glide slope portion of the ILS (instrument landing system) was out of service as well as, from what I hear, the precision approach path indicator (PAPI), maybe?. I think that's because they just added a displaced threshold to the runway (you can see the old markings painted over in photos), which moves the touch down zone further from the seawall. Probably to prevent this very thing?

Even though the ILS glide slope and PAPI were out, a 777 has something called VNAV that can create a GPS derived glide slope down to the runway.
    Last edited by Sam; 07-07-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    The glide slope portion of the ILS (instrument landing system) was out of service as well as, from what I hear, the precision approach path indicator (PAPI), maybe?. I think that's because they just added a displaced threshold to the runway (you can see the old markings painted over in photos), which moves the touch down zone further from the seawall. Probably to prevent this very thing?

Even though the ILS glide slope and PAPI were out, a 777 has something called VNAV that can create a GPS derived glide slope down to the runway.
    The PAPI was working. They notamed it out of service afterwards because the crash took it out - aircraft slid off left side of the runway right over it. It will be interesting to see if they were using an RNAV backup.

Regardless, an experienced commercial pilot has no excuses for not being able to sucessfully land his aircraft in visual conditions, glide path guidance or not. Provided, of course, all systems onboard were working properly.