Wanted: Mountain Bike for 5'7" beginner girlfriend, <$900

Fingers crossed for Tahoe/Bay area transaction.

Full-suspension preferred.

Whatcha got?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

good luck
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Specialized Era, 2008 model I believe? can check. Women's medium. great 4" XC bike, never ridden very hard. Your choice of 4" or 5" fork (both are fox float 32). Thinking $850, located in san francisco (or tahoe on weekends).

My wife has an Era and I have an Epic. Great bikes. We both love them. A bit more xc oriented, so as long as that is what you're looking for, she'll prob be very happy.

The above sounds like a good deal. Spec. Frames are pretty classic and hold their value if she decides she hates it and wants to resell. If not, I'd look around pinkbike.com Probably the best place on the internets for used bikes.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Thanks to everyone for the leads and the recommendations! I would expect just about anything Specialized makes to be a quality ride. We'll probably mostly ride long trails and single/doubletrack. Don't think she's much of a downhiller (yet!) so going full-squish is mostly for comfort. She loves jumping on skis tho, so who knows.

PMing you, Dave
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Specialized Era, 2008 model I believe? can check. Women's medium. great 4" XC bike, never ridden very hard. Your choice of 4" or 5" fork (both are fox float 32). Thinking $850, located in san francisco (or tahoe on weekends).
    fuck, go for that... that sounds like quite the hookup
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Your gf's 5' 7" and you don't post pics? how dare you. This is tgr, you know how this works.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

titus motolite rp23, xt/lx, xt brakes, thomson stem, monkeylite bars $600 + shipping. size small. pow pow blue, adj rear travel
    one step forward, no step backward

summa y'all don't know how to search around old posts

Quote Originally Posted by allTandA View Post
    titus motolite rp23, xt/lx, xt brakes, thomson stem, monkeylite bars $600 + shipping. size small. pow pow blue, adj rear travel
    depending on size, this is a fantastic deal, and a great beginner bike. it's the bike i learned to ride on and it treated me well for many, many years.

otherwise, you should consider my hubby's 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert. Talas, X9 FD, XO RD, XT Brakes, XT crankset, thompson seatpost, etc., etc. Medium, black. $700.

That Motolite is probably the way to go, but I'll sell you my well-used Yeti 575 for cheap if you want to stay even more local. X7/X0, Marta brakes, badass Bionicon fork (3-6" adjustable, very light, triple crown), etc.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Beginner gf... All I can say is good luck, there are more ways this will end badly than the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by Skihuckster View Post
    Beginner gf... All I can say is good luck, there are more ways this will end badly than the other way around
    I know the gf IRL, and she's tough. Lepistoir is also very patient and mellow, so I think it will turn out fine. Chances are improved by purchase of my beater Yeti, though...

On my first date with my now wife, we met for a mtb ride. She thought she was a triathlete & mountain biker, but showed up with non-padded lycra shorts and running shoes. I was a Cat. 2 road and mountain bike racer... I dropped her on the first corner (riding my cross bike), and we spent the next half-hour trying to find each other. 4 years later: she's now a 2 on the road but not much of a mountain biker (though due to one big crash rather than problems with me). Sometimes these things work out well.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I have def had the misfortune of taking girls climbing because they like to do whatever sorts of things I liked to do, but that didn't work for Eddy Murphy and it didn't work for me. some girls just want too spend time together and aren't really into climbing, biking, skiing. to have fun doing those you have to want to be in the outdoors and having adventures, regardless of who you're with. that is definitely a quality of Snowbyrd and the reason this will work out fine.

Evan, we definitely want to try out the yeti when we're back up there. maintenance is not something either of us enjoy so whatever we end up buying, the condition and frequency of service will weigh in the decision.

If she is 5.7", she.might need a medium. I am 5.6" and that's what I ride. See what feels right, obviously.

Some great deals.above, esp the Titus.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TGR Forums

I've got a medium '04 Foes FXR frame in very good condition that I need to sell, includes Curnutt platform shock, XTR crankset, XT (might be XTR) derailleur, and King headset. This is the last year of that frame design (said by many to be the most laterally rigid FXR trail bike frame, which is saying a lot), with the wider rear triangle to fit up to 2.5" tires.

$600

Quote Originally Posted by allTandA View Post
    After trying out climberevan's Yeti, it sounds like a small might fit her better. The Yeti is awesome though, just wish she could touch the ground without jumping off.

this thread would be much better if it said wanted to trade in the title. i've always wanted a beginner girlfriend.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Still in the hunt.

have you poked around pinkbike classifieds? some wackos and scammers but also some good deals if you're careful and diligent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I've got a medium '04 Foes FXR frame in very good condition that I need to sell, includes Curnutt platform shock, XTR crankset, XT (might be XTR) derailleur, and King headset. This is the last year of that frame design (said by many to be the most laterally rigid FXR trail bike frame, which is saying a lot), with the wider rear triangle to fit up to 2.5" tires.

$600

Jesus I want that.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community